+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 189917 dmat12345 is an unknown quantity at this point dmat12345's Avatar

Yes | No

Looking For Headlights

I am in the market for the brightest High and low beem headlights available for an X5 3.O I Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.76.124.250

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

What kind do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by dmat12345 View Post
    I am in the market for the brightest High and low beem headlights available for an X5 3.O I Thanks
    You did not state what kind of lights your car came with - standard or HID.

Stripped X5's came with regular (non-HID) bulbs. You might be able to go to a brighter bulb, but beware that a higher wattage bulb may cause a fuse to burn. If you put in a higher amperage fuse to get around this, you may start a wiring fire.

Check the wattage carefully. Some sites sell huge over-amped bulbs that would require more robust wiring.

Fake HID "blue" bulbs actually put out less useful light and just annoy other drivers. They also mark you as a lamer-wanna-be - worse than those fake cell-phone antennas they sold back in the 1980's

Or the "crown" air fresheners - remember those?

Whenever you see a car with fake HID blue blubs, well, you have an idea about the social status and intelligence of the driver - poor and dumb. Only chumps are taken in by these - and they are very ghetto.

If your lenses are cloudy or hazy, you might want to polish them - you can buy a kit, or take it to Wal-Mart for $40, as I did - they did a stellar job and it has held up.

Also, check your headlight alignment as well. If it is off, it may seem your lights are dim.

Dim headlights are a common complaint with a number of BMW models - particularly on low beam. There have been a number of explanations as to why - some claiming that US-spec lights are the cause, as the beam pattern is not optimal. I have owned several, and yes, it seems the headlights are not as bright as, say, my old 1995 F-150.

If it is the light PATTERN, then putting in brighter bulbs will just annoy everyone and not really help you see better.

If your car came with the optional HID lights, there is not much you can do. There is no replacement "bulb" for these - they are more like an arc lamp. These headlights are assemblies that cost up to $1300 a side. The high beam bulb can be replaced, but usually it is not the high beam that is the issue.

Again, check alignment, although they are supposed to be self-calibrating (mine move up and down when you turn them on). They appear to be dim, sometimes, but that is, I think, the effect of the whiter light. I find I use the fog lights a lot with this car.

If you really have an issue with this, I would think that aftermarket driving lights (NOT fog lights) might help.

For me, I just try to drive within the range of the headlights. Attempting to upgrade or "mod" a car is usually just an exercise in futility and wallet-lightening.

Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.243.96.116

User Level 1
    Member No: 191094 tmvatlanta is an unknown quantity at this point tmvatlanta's Avatar

Yes | No
    OEM Xenons
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.141.55.70

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Expensive Option

The language is imprecise, some people call these HID, others Xenon. BMW calls them both.

BavAuto has a Xenon Upgrade for $499 (!!!) which is a lot of dough on a car worth maybe $9000 on a good day.

showing products for 2002 X5 3.0i.

Click the 'add to cart' button to purchase
    Upgrade your factory Xenon Lights !

Upgrade your factory xenon lights! These PIAA DS2 Super Cobalt bulbs have a much higher rating on the Kelvin scale than OE xenon bulbs (6600 vs. 4000), meaning they're much closer to the color of sunlight. You'll see better and your BMW will look cooler.
    Part Number Description Price Qty.

Piaa DS2 Super Cobalt Bulbs - pair - only for cars with D2S Xenon bulbs

$ 449.95

Frankly, I would just learn to love the stock lights. A BMW will present enough opportunities to spend money on parts, without searching for new ones. Myself, I am saving up for a new clutch.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.86.155.211

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information