+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 94321 mitrebox is an unknown quantity at this point mitrebox's Avatar

Yes | No

Ambient Temperature Sensor

The outside temperature gauge on my 2001 ///M Roadster stopped telling me the temperature. It happened at about the time I had a horrific "cone incident" at an Autocross in Colorado; destroyed the front grill and lodged in the passenger side wheel well.

So, now it doesn't work and I think the malfunction was caused by my head on collision with the great, orange monster.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to where the outside temperature sensor is located? I can't seem to find any reference to it in my Bentley and I've been doing google searches all afternoon.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.211.149.84

Registered Member
    Member No: 57476 ammolab is an unknown quantity at this point ammolab's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mitrebox View Post
    The outside temperature gauge on my 2001 ///M Roadster stopped telling me the temperature. It happened at about the time I had a horrific "cone incident" at an Autocross in Colorado; destroyed the front grill and lodged in the passenger side wheel well.

So, now it doesn't work and I think the malfunction was caused by my head on collision with the great, orange monster.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to where the outside temperature sensor is located? I can't seem to find any reference to it in my Bentley and I've been doing google searches all afternoon.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.
    It is up front in the grille area, behind it somewhere, and you may have killed it with that shunt. It is a couple hundred dollars for the sensor. DOUBLE OUCH!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.64.28.38

Registered Member
    Member No: 137549 Marty505 is on a distinguished road Marty505's Avatar

Yes | No
    This has come up before. The Bentley manual claims it's under the right corner of the front bumper - haven't heard if anyone has found it there. A couple guys on forums in Ireland and GB claim it's under the rear wheel well fender liner on the driver's side. Does that mean it's under the rear wheel fender liner on the passenger side on US cars? I'd like to know myself, just to satisfy idle curiosity. I looked around on my 99 coupe to see if there is a mount in one of the front brake ducts (a common location) and didn't see anything.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.155.190.68

Registered Member
    Member No: 57476 ammolab is an unknown quantity at this point ammolab's Avatar

Yes | No
    Here is one description of the location on BMW vehicles: Part # 62142491476 The ambient temp sensor works in conjunction with the OBC to give a outside temperature reading. It is located on the front spoiler or inside the front brake air duct.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.196.87.139

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Here's a link to a BMW TIS instruction on replacing the sensor on an M Roadster: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/03/79/13

Registered Member
    Member No: 94321 mitrebox is an unknown quantity at this point mitrebox's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty505 View Post
    Here's a link to a BMW TIS instruction on replacing the sensor on an M Roadster: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/03/79/13
    Thank you Marty and everyone else that has responded. I am, now, as we "speak," going through Bentley to see if I can find the sensor's location. I cannot find any mention of the "Ambient Temperature Sensor." Does anyone know where it's mentioned in Bentley?

Where is the damned thing located? I can see the shiny, round thing, up front on the passenger side, but that has me confounded, as well.

Marty, the pictures are great but I haven't the foggiest notion of where to look! Do you?

Thank you.

Stephen

EDIT: Whoops, I see the picture caption that it's located behind the right, rear fender housing. Is that correct? If that's the case, my hitting the "orange monster" head on, could not have done anything to the sensor. So what's the shiny thing up front? This is really confounding me.
    Last edited by mitrebox; 02-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.211.149.84

Registered Member

Yes | No
    My 99 Coupe has the same shiny thing (about 1" round, visible near right break duct when looking inside grill with hood up) so that's not it since the 99 doesn't have an outside temp sensor. Not sure what the heck that thing is. As far as location, the right rear fender well under the liner seems like a weird place for a temp sensor but the TIS is pretty much the Gold Standard regarding BMW maintenance.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    BTW I found the location mentioned in the Bentley Z3 manual on page 610-11 near the bottom of the page.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty505 View Post
    BTW I found the location mentioned in the Bentley Z3 manual on page 610-11 near the bottom of the page.
    Thank you for that. They couldn't have made that less obvious...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.135.65.10

Registered Member

Yes | No
    So, did you ever find the temp. sensor? I'm really curious where that thing is.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.155.177.181

Registered Member

Yes | No

I found it, I found it!!

The temperature sensor is located in the driver's side brake duct. It is a slender "tit," narrower than a pencil, that protrudes about an inch into the duct. It's actually pretty close to the front of the duct, perhaps 3 or 4 inches in. Last Saturday, I actually got a mechanic at a local dealership who, by the way, at one time owned a supercharged coupe, to come out and show me the probe.

I haven't had a chance to check stuff out. In the case of my car, I have to remove the headlight to get to the wiring since I have a rather large, RG Motorsports CAI and the ducting precludes me from seeing into the bowels of the front bumper/grill.

Thanks to all for your help and I hope this helps you all.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    At last someone has found the sensor. I'm going to pencil this info. into the Bentleys for future reference.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.155.177.181

Registered Member

Yes | No
    I can only assume that you checked it out and it's located in the same place as on my ///M Roadster! After all, this is the "Coupe" forum, isn't it? :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.29.66.41

euroah

Yes | No

Outside temp gauge sensor

So, did the temp sensor you found in the left air duct cure your problem? We have a 2001 M Coupe with an inop outside temp gauge in the center console. The sensor in the left air duct does not supply the signal for this gauge. The correct part # is 62 14 2 491 476 and lists for $220. The picture in ETK shows it mounting with a nut. Has anyone found this sensor? Thanks, Greg
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.185.196.15

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by euroah View Post
    So, did the temp sensor you found in the left air duct cure your problem? We have a 2001 M Coupe with an inop outside temp gauge in the center console. The sensor in the left air duct does not supply the signal for this gauge. The correct part # is 62 14 2 491 476 and lists for $220. The picture in ETK shows it mounting with a nut. Has anyone found this sensor? Thanks, Greg
    Yes, finding the temp sensor partially cured the problem. What I found was that both wires to the sensor had been severed, probably when I had that "accident" with the orange monster. Once I spliced the wires, everything works and has been working ever since. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information