+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 134630 mac5000 is an unknown quantity at this point mac5000's Avatar

Yes | No

Speedometer not working, 2000 528i

My speedometer quit working any help appreciated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.238.71.195

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No
    A roundup of the usual suspects always includes the wheel speed sensor on the Left Rear wheel. There is a wheel speed sensor on each wheel but the LR is the one that drives the speedo. There may be other causes but this the first (and least expensive) place to look.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.131.216.252

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No
    Just saw this post after replying to your gas gauge not working. What else doesn't work? Or is it just the gas gauge and speedo? Is your ABS light on?
    If they are unrelated problems do what Filehorse said.
    Just a few mods.
    If it ain't broken make it better and quicker!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.62.177.126

Registered Member

Yes | No
    the ABS light is on as well

Thanks
    dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No
    In that case the plot thickens. It could now be the ABS control module, the pressure sensor located on the ABS control module manifold; or any one of several other things. This topic has been flogged repeatedly on this forum and for good reason. The frequent culprit is the ABS control module. A quick search should locate 100's of posts covering this topic in detail. The good news is that there one or two reputable module rebuilders available who can put a failed module back in working trim for a LOT less than your friendly BMW Parts Department will sell you a new one for. Unfortunately it's not easy to troubleshoot where where can say definitively that it's the ABS module. That is often the diagnosis after a lot of other causes have been eliminated. Others will probably chime in with their experiences and can point you in the best direction. Rotsa ruck.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.131.216.252

Registered Member
    Member No: 37283 BrianMWatson is an unknown quantity at this point BrianMWatson's Avatar

Yes | No
    I might go out on a limb here to test my theory about environment and wheel sensor failure. I'd be interested to know how many miles are on your car and what area of the country, or world, your car is driven in. If it's in a more dry weather zone, with little or no snow, little or no salt air, etc., I'm guessing that your wheel sensors are fine. I believe that they are rather simple components, and have no moving parts, so they're less prone to failure, providing they aren't subjected to the above mentioned conditions. However, if you take your car in to a mechanic, they'll work from the code(s) and probably replace at least one wheel sensor, depending on the exact system that seems to be effected. If you are in a hotter than average zone then it's possible that your ABS controller will fail earlier. I believe that mine starting giving me problems at 78,500 miles. I live in one of the hotter areas of So. Cal., U.S.A. I wonder about the when and where of others' failed ABS controllers?

I may be spewing a lot of blow-by here, but lately I've been curious about such things. As I'd mentioned in another post yesterday, pictures that guys have taken of their wheel sensors while doing a writeup on the job, looked a lot worse for wear than mine did. I ended up checking one of them and then figuring that it was the ABS controller, as it seems like it almost always is. However, again, it may depend on your environment.

I recently paid $500 for the control unit and $85 for the indy BMW mechanic to code it. I put it off as long as I could, cause that's how I rolled (w/o ABS and cruise control, erratic speedometer, and a dash that lit up like a Xmas tree.). Best of luck.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.235.89.188

Registered Member

Yes | No
    I live in Canada its warm in the summer with lots of humidity, I do not drive it in the winter and it has 300,000 k. I am leaning towards the controller as my dash board is lit up as well, ABS, speedometer, gas gauge, check engine.

Thanks
    Dave

Registered Member

Yes | No
    where do I find the BS control module, my local recycler has a 2000 in the yard I can grab the control off it or the pressure sensor

Thanks again
    Dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 37283 BrianMWatson is an unknown quantity at this point BrianMWatson's Avatar

Yes | No
    It's located in the engine compartment on top of the passenger side wheel well. It's a black plastic box that mates up with another part that has a bunch of hydraulic lines going into it. You only want to remove the front part. It's held on with 4 (or 6?) Torx head screws and has a large, multi-line plug. You remove the plug by pulling out on a locking "carriage" type thing and then just unplug it.
    As far as getting one from a junk yard. If you do, you'll still need to get it programmed by a BMW mechanic who's is set up to do the job. Removal and replacement is about as easy as replacing a headlight bulb.
    I'm guessing that you don't have a Bentley manual for the E39. If you're going to work on your Bimmer, it's the first investment to make after gas and oil, IMHO. You can find it at Bavarian Auto or other German parts house. It's two big volumes. I paid $170 when it first came out but it's a bit cheaper today.
    I don't remember the check engine light being part of the dash decoration that is associated with the ABS controller. Maybe someone else will comment on that possibility. You might want to make sure that your gas cap was screwed on securely, as that's a common cause of the CEL. Good luck.
    Last edited by BrianMWatson; 03-08-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.235.86.251

Registered Member
    Member No: 183850 vdot is an unknown quantity at this point vdot's Avatar

Yes | No
    i had this happen to me in 2009. Speedometer/Odometer not working.
    Turns out it was the control module as mentioned here.
    I took it out and sent it to http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php
    They reworked it and mailed it back to me.
    Its back in the car and has been working since then.
    Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 192.146.217.50

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No
    you need to code that control module at dealer or indy. Usually a wheel sensor is bad as well
    2000 528 5sp Premium Package. Titanium silver,grey leather, heated seats,folding seats, 6cd player, bone stock except ash tray mod. Garmin GPS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 12.37.180.98

Unregistered

Yes | No

Speedometer not working intermittently, and miles readout

My ABS unit went out about 3 years ago, and I procrastinated on getting it replaced because of the cost. I live in SoCal where it is pretty dry and don't need ABS that much. So then my speedometer began working only occasionally about 4 months ago. So I didn't relate the two until my mechanic said it is likely the control module, as many of these posts say.

So my question is: is there a way to know if it is just the speed sensor, the ABS module, or something else dealing with the instrument panel without replacing the ABS first? The speedometer works maybe once a week, and even then stops working after a few miles. When it is not working, the gas gauge and miles-until-empty readout are both very unstable. When the speedomer is working, they work normally.

The car is a 2000 528i with about 145,000 miles on it. Manual transmission. One post says a problem with the module can affect data sent regarding an auto tranny, but not sure about manual. Every few months the car willl sputter when I start from a complete stop, almost like you are trying to start in 3rd gear, and I have to pull over and turn it off. When I start the ignition again it is fine. My mechanic said the transmission is going into "safe mode". So not sure if that is just the transmission wearing down or if it is related to the control module.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 199.89.199.91

Registered Member

Yes | No

ABS control module

I'm guessing that your wheel sensors are fine. So.Cal.'s weather doesn't tend to cause the sensors to suffer the corrosion that they do in many other parts of the country. You'll probably be best either sending your module to ModuleMasters, or buying a new one and getting it programmed by an indy shop. Since these problems seem to be caused by the heat in the engine compartment, So. Cal. also will tend to fry them faster (I believe). After replacing myb ABS module, I now open the hood and let it cool when I get home and put the car in the garage. It might help get a few more miles/months out of the unit. Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.235.83.184

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No
    try right rear wheel sensor first. It feeds speedo.
    2000 528 5sp Premium Package. Titanium silver,grey leather, heated seats,folding seats, 6cd player, bone stock except ash tray mod. Garmin GPS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 12.37.180.98

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information