+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 193497 platech1 is an unknown quantity at this point platech1's Avatar

Yes | No

2001 X5 Heater Blower ON, AC control Panel dead. New FSR did not fix.

Ive got the HVAC fan going, it wont quit even if I turn off the ignition, and its on heat mode sends the air to the footwells. And the automatic temp control panel for the climate system is dead, nothing lights up. After reading up the forums I replaced the FSR and nothing changed. To permit keeping the SAV in service I pulled fuse #48 and the blower stopped. Can anyone send me any hints on this? Help!
    Great forum, thanks for your help and time on this.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.192.142.137

Unregistered

Yes | No

Me too

Just got a 2002 4.6 X5 (with only 44K miles) and had the exact same thing happen today. Was going to replace the FSR but now I might just take it into the professionals. I'll be sure and tell you what they said and how much.

Kris
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.122.208.219

User Level 1
    Member No: 193497 platech1 is an unknown quantity at this point platech1's Avatar

Yes | No
    I fixed it. I never got a reply on the forum so I paid $24 to an online BMW tech. He said it was the actual control module. New those cost over $500. I found a used one at BMRparts.com and came in with a dead button. It was $300. I got lucky and found 1 at a junkyard for a bit less. Its installed and working. It can be replaced super easy and in 15 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.74.245.119

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Capacitor?

The Final Stage Resistor pack merely controls the speed of the fan. If the control panel is dead, replacing the FSR isn't going to fix that.

On the E36, the control panels would die, and the fix was a 15-cent capacitor that failed. There is a guy on eBay selling "rebuilt" control panels for a few hundred dollars who basically soldiers in this Capacitor. Electrolytics do fail over time.

Perhaps this is the same problem on the E53 panel. However, unlike the E36 forum, I am not aware of any instructions on how to fix it on this car - X5 owners don't seem to be as handy or inclined to DIY repairs.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.2.153.173

User Level 1

Yes | No

I will try to create a fix for X-5 ac control

Thanks for the tip on the e46 ac control capacitor fail. I suspected this because its a total power failure on the PCB. I took a quick look at the PCB and didnt see a dead cap but will next examine it with a microscope and meter in our antenna circuits lab. I did find some places that had or repaired BMW AC controls but never the X-5. This X-5 AC control I have learned is hard to find used because there are a large number of this failure.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.192.142.137

User Level 1
    Member No: 196058 ioang26 is an unknown quantity at this point ioang26's Avatar

Yes | No
    platech1 ,did you find any fix for the control board?
    I have the same problem happened today. The control unit is off, would not work or lit, and
    the main blower(rear too) would not stop blowing hot air.
    Thanks in advance!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.69.34.13

User Level 1

Yes | No

Control board replaced

I replaced it. I would like to examine your dead control board once you want to dump it. At our shop we have a microscope for assembly of micro circuits. Just maybe I get lucky and we locate a blown capacitor and fix them for other people. Once you dont need it, send to antenna world 9500 nw 12 st #3 Doral FL 33172. If we think we fixed it I can send back for you to test. No guarantees!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.254.147.221

Unregistered

Yes | No

heater-ac not working,

Quote Originally Posted by platech1 View Post
    Ive got the HVAC fan going, it wont quit even if I turn off the ignition, and its on heat mode sends the air to the footwells. And the automatic temp control panel for the climate system is dead, nothing lights up. After reading up the forums I replaced the FSR and nothing changed. To permit keeping the SAV in service I pulled fuse #48 and the blower stopped. Can anyone send me any hints on this? Help!
    Great forum, thanks for your help and time on this.

the cause is the resistor its mostly located on the passanger side under the dash but chech the exact loc. depending if its an x5 it is center off towards the passanger side but under the dash its mostly made of aluminum, in a triangle shape, they have small rods that stick out aroung 2.5" and there are about 15 or so, the part new is $80ish and takes less than 20 mins to replace !!! good luck
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.118.196.55

Unregistered

Yes | No

AC stopped working but Fixed it with AC Control Panel

I have a 2002 BMW X5, the AC stopped working and the heater blower would not shut off when I turned the car off. I ordered a new FSR switch which did not fix the problem. So I took the FSR switch out which allowed me to drive the car and turn it off without draining the battery, (the blower kept running when the FSR switch was in), I ordered a AC Heat Climate Control Controller switch unit which included rear air for $300.00 from Quality Auto Parts. I felt like I got a deal as I was quoted over $400 and a new one was over $900. While I was waiting to receive the unit and when I would drive the vehicle the heater was blowing on the passenger side and through the rear vent. The used AC Heat Climate Control Controller fixed the problem. I returned the new FSR switch as there was nothing wrong with the original FSR switch.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.227.243.113

User Level 1
    Member No: 199207 ogonzy is an unknown quantity at this point ogonzy's Avatar

Yes | No

I GOT MY 2002 X5 A/C Control Panel and that fixed the problem.

Hello Guys,
    I wanted to mention that after trying all in this forum. I mean, Checking the fuses, buying and replacing the FSR Unit (also called Blower resistor), I got my X5 to a local repair shop for testing. They had an A/C control panel and diagnosed that my problem was just that. Cost me $90. After searching for a used, in good condition part in the US with no luck, I found this guy in (Latvia) Sweden by Ebay. I can really recommend his company to buy this Climate Control Unit. If take my recommendation you can find them by the ebay account name of: bestoffertime2007

I got it yesterday (Aug 29th, 2013). They gave a discount and I paid expedited shipping via DHL. I installed the unit and that was it. AC back to work.

Best regards and better luck!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.94.245.233

Unregistered

Yes | No

Radio ac panel

Hi guys i have BMW X5 3.0i sports 2002 and its RADIO and AC panel doesn't switch on.

I have checked all the fuses and found one of the fuse in the boot 30 amp was blown when i tried to replace it and put a new one in it blows straightaway.

any suggestions? oh yes i have parrot bluetooth device installed as well, and all worked perfectly untill i last parked and went for holiday when i came back my battery was flat so i have to jump start it which was fine but my cd player, radio, ac and bluetooth doesnt work.

Thanks for your help
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 86.177.2.161

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information