+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 134577 tinius is an unknown quantity at this point tinius's Avatar

Yes | No

Moonroof adjustments?

I recently replaced the left control rail on the moonroof, which involved removing and replacing the glass itself. The procedure is well-documented in several places.

Now, when the glass slides forward for closing, the slipstream deflector doesn't duck out of the way soon enough, and the front edge of the glass strikes it and reverses back, the safety move.
    If I push the slipstream deflector down by hand before the glass reaches it, the moon roof closes properly, and appears to be aligned correctly at the front and back edges.

I have examined all of the mechanism and cannot see what can be adjusted to make the slipstream deflector drop sooner or further.

Has anyone else seen or solved this problem or can someone offer adjustment tips?

Thanks,
    -stephen
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.122.45.89

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No
    I've had this happen on several occasions, and others on the board have reported it, too. It seems to happen when it is overly hot outside, with the sun beating down on the car. And, as you've discovered, can get the roof closed by pre-pulling the deflector down. I haven't heard of a fix or adjustment (maybe someone else will chime in) but, you're not alone in having this issue. For the amount of time I drive with the roof open, I just live with the issue, and per-pull the deflector when closing.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.150.83.185

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 127477
    Inner Circle ©75 since: May 20, 2011 ExAlfa is an unknown quantity at this point ExAlfa's Avatar

Yes | No
    The piece that the front of the glass screws into has a small beam with a plastic tip jutting out at a 90 degree angle to the direction of glass travel. That arm pushes onto the angled actuation lever connected to each end of the deflector. If the glass is set such that it is above the leading edge of the sunroof opening then those beams will not push down onto the deflector actuation levers sufficiently. The glass should be flush to 1mm below the roof when closed. If your glass is just a bit too high the deflector will not close fully.
    Attached Images

'03 540iA M-Sport, H&R springs & M5 trunk spoiler
    Genesee Valley BMWCCA
    Finger Lakes region of NY
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.210.30.74

Registered Member
    Member No: 42733 dawillia is an unknown quantity at this point dawillia's Avatar

Yes | No
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what to adjust to raise or lower the sunroof to accomplish the adjustment.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 146.126.51.51

Registered Member

Yes | No
    "If your glass is just a bit too high the deflector will not close fully".

Thanks, ExAlfa, I think you mean "just a bit too low", judging from the way the front edge of the glass strikes the deflector.

I found the TIS procedure, 54 12 003 Adjusting glass sliding/tilting sunroof lid, but all it says is to loosen the six screws (Torx 25) which hold the glass onto the control rail and "press downwards at front and rear until ideal position is achieved and tighten down screws". I don't see the slack in the front screw mount which will allow me to raise the leading edge.

Incidentally, you wrote up a very nicely illustrated procedure for replacing the glass roof control rails. You show small bushings for the wind deflector arm, but they are not to be found in the BMW Parts Catalog on realoem or bmwfans. In fact, the wind deflector arm itself isn't in the parts list. Those bushings, which are not on my 99 528iT, could tighten up the connection to the wind deflector enough to keep it below the glass as the roof closes. Do you have any information about the bushings, part number, reference, etc.?

Thanks,
    -stephen
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Myrtle Beach SC

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 127477
    Inner Circle ©75 since: May 20, 2011 ExAlfa is an unknown quantity at this point ExAlfa's Avatar

Yes | No
    You're right about adjustment direction - up on the glass to clear the deflector. Those bushings certainly would make a difference - maybe 1mm or 1.5mm in section so there is a contribution. I don't know the bushing part number nor the arm, but the deflector itself is found here;
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=54&fg=05

It's been my experience that the dealer drawings show those odd little parts that Real OEM doesn't. Without the bushings I don't know how the arms would stay in place. Maybe later versions snap into the deflector directly to save cost.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.210.30.74

Registered Member

Yes | No
    I raised the glass to the up tilt position, loosened the two front Torx screws, pushed up on the glass and re-tightened. That gained enough clearance to allow the roof to properly close now.

I looked closer and do, indeed, have the tiny bushings, one on each side. I just didn't see them before.
    -stephen
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Myrtle Beach SC

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information