+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

This think makes sense

Goatgirl is demanding an SUV. I LOVE my BMW dealership and am philosphically committed to buying another car from therm, even though I really want a 911. I don't like the look of an X3. We test drove and X5d. Yeah, it's nice but it's heavy, expensive, and still thristy on the highway despite being a diesel. I keep cars 100k miles, so I'm aprehensive of the x-drive hardware that I really don't need in the first place.

Even if I could talk goatgirl into a BMW wagon, it'd have x-drive and be low enough that she'd be banging the front bumper into curbs.

A rear wheel drive, tall station wagon with higher ground clearance works.

My only question/concern is can I get a compact spare (from somewhere) or would a full size tire lay flat in the cargo compartment? This thing is five inches shorter than an E46. If all the tires are the same size and non-directional, I'd gladly buy an OEM rim and tire and do a five-wheel rotation pattern.

The X5 spare rim fits on a F10 5-series with an adapter ring. The guy who figured this out received no help from BMWNA, though.

This car would be our road trip car, so not having a spare that lays flat on the cargo compartment floor with sufficient remaining cargo room would be a deal breaker. I'm not leaving the county limits without a spare, run-flats or not.
    Last edited by goatboy; 09-14-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.63.75.216

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No
    I had another flat today in my M3. This makes #5 in 102k miles. Four were punctures (causing slow leaks), one was a defective Chinese valve stem (causing rapid deflation). Today was another datapoint that I'm not buying a car without a spare.

The flat tire warning light came on going to lunch. E46's don't have pressure monitors, they use the ABS sensors that measure the relative speed of each wheel. A a tire goes flat, it starts turning faster than the other three, and the indicator light comes on. I looked at the tires and they looked o.k. I recalibrated/reset the system (with the button on the center console). But, I got another warning light on the way home from work. I checked the pressure and the right-rear was down 7 PSI over the left rear. I had two punctures: one 9/16" screw, one 1/2" nail.

My favorite BMW dealership does less rim scratching than anybody when repairing a tire. (I washed the punctured wheel to be repaired. I have what look like giant shower caps to cover it when carrying it in the trunk. These giant shower caps cover hospital X-ray equipment to keep blood from getting splattered on them.) While I'm there, I'll see if it fits in the cargo floor of an X1. My rear tire is the same diameter as the 18" rimmed tires on the X1, 26," and 1" wider. I'm going to take a yard stick, too. Stay 'tooned!
    Last edited by goatboy; 09-14-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Unregistered

Yes | No
    911 like other porsche small flat with air compressor no room big tire. c4 have awd and good in snow with motor in boot
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.77.110.130

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Actually, Porsche makes a compact spare for the 991 and a "baby seat" to hold it:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me..._Code=991SPARE

I've driven a 911 C2 at 120 m.p.h. in the rain on a track with no problems. Well, I did learn quickly not to have two tires on the painted stripes when doing a 100% stomp on the brakes at 120 m.p.h. But, AWD wouldn't have made a difference there.

If I ever move where it snows, I'll buy a Jeep for snow days or just stay in bed.

A full size spare pretty much fills up the X1's cargo compartment.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information