+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

got a 2013 3-hybrid as a loaner

My next BMW will get a lot of highway miles, and stay around 10+ years. Hybrids don't have much of an advantage on the highway, and 10 years is likely beyond the life of the batteries. So this test drive is just academic.

But, this thing is pretty cool. It has the 3.0 liter, turbo six-cylinder. So, there's 300 h.p. and 300 lb-ft of torque (plus what the electric motor might contribute) for a drag race. The car only had 70 miles on it when I picked it up, so I'll respect the break-in rules. But, it'd be fun to drop some red neck in a pick-up or a Mustang. "Hey, Billy Bob, you just got walked by a hybrid!"

There's several degrees of hybrid-ness, from "Sport" to "Eco Pro." In Eco Pro" it looks lke the battereis are allowed to get more depleted before turning on the engine to recharge them.

The regenerative braking has a graph, so you get an idea of how efficiently you're driving. If the meter's pegged, you using the brakes instead of the generators to slow the car down.

So far, I'm getting 33 MPG, but I'm driving more gently then my grandma drove her '61 Buick. It's nice actually watching your MPG go up once you hit the city and traffic.

It looks like the trunk floor is a few inches higher due to the batteries.

The sticker on this car is $61k. That's up there close to a 535i.

The Interwebs say there will eventually be another 3.0 liter, six-cylinder diesel 3-series in the U.S.

My dealer broke the special order part while installing it in my car and had to get another part overnighted. So, I get to keep the car another day.

This loaner is well equipped, inlcuding the heads-up display. I've decided that is now a necessity.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.63.75.216

Registered Member
    Member No: 44492 calvol is an unknown quantity at this point calvol's Avatar

Yes | No
    #1... never buy a BMW for the gas mileage.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.58.206

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No
    Follow-up... four years later...

I had an appointment in an office park when I had the Active Hybrid. Where I live, a lot of people who own their own businesses bring their pets to work. One of these lets his German Shepherd dog run loose. I was buzzing along in Eco Pro mode, and the dog got pissed by the buzzing sound of the electric motor as I was parking, and he jumped up on the door putting a big scratch in it. But, that car was going to get its paint trashed shortly by the incompetent wash monkeys at the dealership.

More accurately, never buy a BMW to save money. There's a big difference between saving gasoline and saving money. There are a lot of tree huggers who enjoy a nice car. BMW's make a lot of sense to this type of person.

Actually, never buy a hybrid to save money would be accurate. I know two hybrid owners who have kept their cars over ten years. The inevitable battery replacement cost them between $3k and $4k, totally wiping out their fuel cost savings. They'll never recoup the initial additional cost of their hybrids over a similar conventional car.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.238.10

Registered Member
    Member No: 44492 calvol is an unknown quantity at this point calvol's Avatar

Yes | No
    Wow, amazing story about the German Shepard... that happened to my brother's VW Golf, about 3 months after he bought it, he was cruising in a rich neighborhood where people walk their beautiful dogs. Well, a 150lb Great Dane loved his Golf so much, he charged it, and tried to put a "man-hug" on it, and dented the right front fender to the tune of $1,500. Insurance would not pay because the dent was in the side of the car, not the front. (Front would have been collision, side was incidental, only covered by comprehensive, which he did not have).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.215.141

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information