+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 195862 klixtokw is an unknown quantity at this point klixtokw's Avatar

Yes | No

Car will not crank when key is turned

My car has been working witout any problem. I came home 3 days ago with car working fine and parked the car for 2 days. On the third day I went to turn the key and no action watsoever not even a click. Had radio and all warning lights lit up as well as the front lights and AC fan. Nevertheless I figured it was the battery and bought a new one and changed it out. When I went to start much to my surprise no response at all. I checked the voltage in the jumping terminal under the hood and the voltage was 12.5 Volts. I worked the windos and no problem.

I did notice that when I closed the doors the windows did not close the 1" that is usually open in verts. But after I operated them from the car switches then they started to open and close the 1 inch when door is open.

I have no idea of what could be happening I have done nothing other than look at the fluid reservoir for the top hydraulic pump since I'm having a problem raising or lowering the top.

I have no security system on the car but I understand the car has some theft deterrent gizmo.
    Can someting in this area be malfunctioning. I did notice there is a fuse called "starter interlock" but I don't have that fuse.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT COULD BE HAPPENING! PLEASE HELP!!!!

If I can get it started I will have to tow to a mechanic.
    BTW my car is a 2004 325 CI Vert E-46 body.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 65.8.123.36

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No
    New battery & everything works except the engine wont' turn over: Sounds like starter motor or the related electrical circuitry, e.g. ignition switch. If manual tranny, you could push to jump start it and drive it to a shop.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
    '98 323is Arctic Sil/Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.181.238.96

User Level 1
    Member No: 195862 klixtokw is an unknown quantity at this point klixtokw's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
    New battery & everything works except the engine wont' turn over: Sounds like starter motor or the related electrical circuitry, e.g. ignition switch. If manual tranny, you could push to jump start it and drive it to a shop.
    JK,
    Thanks for answering. I agree with you but how do you find the starter motor easily when the engine is all covered. I'm familiar with it and solenoid on American cars but with the BMW I have no idea where its located and how to access.
    If you ar anyoneelse can suggest or have any info to share on this subject I would appreciate it very much.
    Do anyone know where I could get a wiring diagram for the starter circuit?
    I wonder if there is not an interlock that has tripped. These convertible have many interlocks on everything including speed.
    Gm used to have an anti-theft system included in the starter system and in a car I had it tripped and the only way I could start the car was leaving the key on the car turned to the position where all the warning lights came on for 15 minutes and then I could start the car. I wonder if BMW has something similar even though I do not have the alarm option?

Registered Member

Yes | No
    The starter is under the intake manifold. You can access it by removing at least the air intake system all the way up to the throttle body. Then you can then electrically test at the contacts (if you can see them). Removal and replacement of the starter is difficult. The Bentley manual is very helpful for wiring diagrams and the basic description of changing the starter, but visibility and access are the main problems.
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk

User Level 1

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
    The starter is under the intake manifold. You can access it by removing at least the air intake system all the way up to the throttle body. Then you can then electrically test at the contacts (if you can see them). Removal and replacement of the starter is difficult. The Bentley manual is very helpful for wiring diagrams and the basic description of changing the starter, but visibility and access are the main problems.
    JK,
    have you actually done this personally or is it from a manual.? I want to be sure I can access the electrical terminals of the starter before I go through all this trouble of dismantling something I have never done before.
    By the way is there A Bentley manual that covers an E-46 Vert or is it a general? I also have problems with the top mechanism and have not found any info for the E-46 specifically. Did you purchase this manual or downloaded from the net? I have seen many free downloads but don't know if they are legal and/or infected?

BDW my car is automatic.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    I have changed starters on E36 & E39 (M50s), and crankcase valves on M52 engines like this, which require getting under the intake manifold. You may have to remove the idle control valve to see them, but you can reach the starter terminals. The Bentley manual is general for all E46s, even M3. My copy is in paper.
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk

BD

Yes | No

Try a different key, I've had a key go bad before

The anti theft electronics can go bad in the key.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.205.209.158

Registered Member
    Member No: 69301 oc330cic is an unknown quantity at this point oc330cic's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by klixtokw View Post
    By the way is there A Bentley manual that covers an E-46 Vert or is it a general? I also have problems with the top mechanism and have not found any info for the E-46 specifically. Did you purchase this manual or downloaded from the net? I have seen many free downloads but don't know if they are legal and/or infected?
    The Bentley manual is for all E46's in general. There is actually a section on the convertible top, but it's all of 11 pages. I found it minimally helpful when the roof of my convertible stopped functioning. This forum and the Yahoo BMW convertibles group were more helpful.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.4.30.72

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information