+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No

Creaks, groans and moans

Ok, cold weather is setting in here already, and here I go again with those dam# brand new struts spring rubber pad (mainly the uppers) creaking, groaning and moaning every turn I make, or bump I hit. I just came in from jacking the car and squirting WD-40 all over them (I know, I know, a no no with rubber, but the sound drives me nuts, and I'll replace them when they degrade).

Anyone else suffer this problem as it gets cold and winter sets in?

I remember, JimLev or BigRick or somebody , you telling me about teflon material I could have put between the pads and the mounts. Does that really work, and where can i get some of this teflon? Amazon??
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.250.207

Registered Member
    Member No: 174953 BigRickMc50 is an unknown quantity at this point BigRickMc50's Avatar

Yes | No
    I don't think it was me. Unless you can determine whether the squeak is coming from the spring acting on the pad, or the pad acting on the strut, you'd have ti put the material both above and below the pads. Then the problem is how do you keep the plastic in place? If you had a long thin strip you could spiral it around the pad before installing the pad, but I have no idea how you could ensure that it stayed in place. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe-sheets/=k3af98

If you could find some kind of low temperature, rubber-safe grease you might be able to solve this. When opening this link, don't be shocked at the Moray Eel in the photo. This site is about maintainance of SCUBA equipment, and the photo is surely an attention-getter. http://www.mcnett.com/Silicone-Spray...tant-P255.aspx

Good Luck
    1987 325 5Spd 2Door (Bought at 210k Mi, sold at 280k; strong car)
    1987 325 Auto 4Door (Wife's Car; Bought at 125k Mi, "sold" to daughter at 250k; flywheel broken and retired)
    1989 525i 5Spd 4Door (Bought at 150k, Trans Broke at 230k, sold to repair shop)
    1994 740iL Auto (Bought at 95k Mi, parked at 110k Mi, awaiting minor repairs)
    1998 528 Auto (Bought at 122k Mi, parked at 175k Mi, awaiting Geberal Module repairs)
    2003 530i Auto (Wife's Car; Bought at 68k Mi, Going strong at 132k Mi)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.110.9.12

Registered Member
    Member No: 115941 Philly98540i6 is on a distinguished road Philly98540i6's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRickMc50 View Post
    I don't think it was me. Unless you can determine whether the squeak is coming from the spring acting on the pad, or the pad acting on the strut, you'd have ti put the material both above and below the pads. Then the problem is how do you keep the plastic in place? If you had a long thin strip you could spiral it around the pad before installing the pad, but I have no idea how you could ensure that it stayed in place. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe-sheets/=k3af98

If you could find some kind of low temperature, rubber-safe grease you might be able to solve this. When opening this link, don't be shocked at the Moray Eel in the photo. This site is about maintainance of SCUBA equipment, and the photo is surely an attention-getter. http://www.mcnett.com/Silicone-Spray...tant-P255.aspx

Good Luck
    Looks like Mcmaster has PTFE in thin film sheets http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ptfe-sheets/=k4s6vp
    Maybe cut some donut circles and 3m spray adhesive them to the pads. I am always impressed with all the stuff McMaster has. Your imagination is the only limit it seems. Or try the silicone spray idea. Should last for a while.

I get the cold weather squeek when I turn the steering, but not going over bumps. Seems to only happen at the beginning of the drive. After a few miles it goes away. Only happens when it really cold out. I will be doing struts soon (still original at 132K) and want to figure out if I need to do something when I'm putting it back together so i don't get the cold weather squeek.

Anyone try any other tricks for this? Is there any special ways to align the pads other than what the usual instructions say? Special lubes?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 155.91.45.231

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No
    Euro, do you have any of that hi speed spindle grease left, wonder if that would work?
    Are you sure it's coming from the springs and not something else, like the sway bar bushings?
    It was me that mentioned the Teflon that has an adhesive on the back side.
    If the grease doesn't work let be know I'll send you some....Christmas is coming early!

Philly98, I haven't forgot about the PWM speed controller, I received the 30 amp kit a few weeks ago and have it together, just need to find some time to post some info. Coming soon!
    Last edited by jimlev; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added PWM info
    Just a few mods.
    If it ain't broken make it better and quicker!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.62.177.126

Registered Member
    Member No: 115941 Philly98540i6 is on a distinguished road Philly98540i6's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlev View Post
    Euro, do you have any of that hi speed spindle grease left, wonder if that would work?
    Are you sure it's coming from the springs and not something else, like the sway bar bushings?
    It was me that mentioned the Teflon that has an adhesive on the back side.
    If the grease doesn't work let be know I'll send you some....Christmas is coming early!

Philly98, I haven't forgot about the PWM speed controller, I received the 30 amp kit a few weeks ago and have it together, just need to find some time to post some info. Coming soon!

Thanks Jim. No big rush as holiday season is upon us now and other things are taking my time.

On the squeek thing... On my car, I think it generates from the upper strut support area and only happens when really cold while turning the steering. Not exactly sure the exact source though. I read some posts about it, but never really looked farther into it. With suspension due, Id like to sort out if I should be doing something as I put it together in the hopes of eliminating it. Thanks for any input on it.

Chris
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 155.91.45.231

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    BigRick/Jimlev/Philly,

BigRick, thanks for the links! I went to the scuba site with the intention of zeroing in on looking for that grease, then got lost looking at the scuba gear and dreaming of a warmer climate while scuba-diving off some gorgeous reef. Can you tell it is miserable here weather wise??.... ;-( But, on the McMaster site , I am going to order four 6" by 6" thin sheets of the PTFE (the one Philly pointed out) and see if I can make it work next year.

I know for sure it is my upper pads (Jim, last winter I took off the wishbone and tension strut, to make sure). Strange how the old ones did it too, and even the new ones I put on started up after 10,000 miles or so. Always when temps dip below 40F it starts up. So, to make it go away, I jack the car up, pack in old towels throughout the wheel well, only exposing the top of upper pad, and then I hit it with a lot of WD40. Turn the steering wheel to various degrees, hit it all again, and then drop the car and bounce it up and down as hard as I can, and voila, the squeak is gone---and will stay gone for about 3 months. At that point, I have to do the whole thing all over again, which is a pain in the winter (and no garage). Philly985, my squeaking mainly only happens turning, but every once in a awhile, if I let it go, it will also start on fairly big bumps (I have to hit, unfortunately, a total of 8 speed bumps going into & out of the military installation here; I go real slow, driving everyone nuts behind me, but I am not ruining my new Sachs struts and lowering Vogtland springs I put on last year). It's funny how the squeaking did it before I did the springs and struts, and how it did it again after. Still, some blasting with WD40 and all is dead quiet for a few months.

But when I get those McMaster's PTFE thin sheets, I am going to tear the struts all apart next summer and see if I can make it work permanently.

Hope the cold weather for all you guys is still at bay. We are already below 40 during the days here, which is not normal. Been happening for a few years now, think Belgium is getting the other end of the global warming that's changing worldwide weather.

P.S. You guys will be glad to know, last weekend, I hooked up my little 4' wide by 6' single-axled trailer to my e39 that's always had a hitch, drove it, family included, for four hours on the autobahn down into Germany (everything drove and rode pretty well right at 100mph). We picked up, among other things, a Livestrong elliptical at the huge US military base in Ramstein, and then came back home. Car drove well, but the extra 300lbs in the trailer was noticeable, plus everything the family bought (they see a trailer, and think, "It's Buying Time"). Anyhow, had to stick around 80-85mph tops as things got a little goofy above there. Didn't want my new elliptical splaying across the autobahn---very bad manners, in Deutschland ;-)
    Last edited by eurodavid; 11-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.157.171

Registered Member
    Member No: 174953 BigRickMc50 is an unknown quantity at this point BigRickMc50's Avatar

Yes | No

Trailering

I can't imagine pulling a trailer at those speeds.

Years ago, I helped my older son move from Ft. Hood Texas to Ft. Lewis Washington in a rent-a-truck towing a two axle trailer with his '72 Charger on it. There were stickers all over that trailer saying "45 MPH MAX". I didn't have the time to spend using an extra day off of work, so we did 75-80 all the way. Over the course of the two days, we blew out all four of the tires on that trailer! Guess the combination of a heavy car (the car was packed also) and hours and hours of continuous high speeds were more than those poor tires could handle.

That same son learned to SCUBA while he was stationed at Ft. Lewis and because the Pacific is so cold up there, he learned in a dry suit. (I learned here in SoCal in the late 60's; much warmer, but still need a wet suit). When he goes diving down here now, he has to try not to work to hard and sweat inside that dry suit.

As far as weather goes, I finally had to turn on the furnace a few days ago because it got down into the 50's (F) on a couple of nights. (Sorry, Euro)
    1987 325 Auto 4Door (Wife's Car; Bought at 125k Mi, "sold" to daughter at 250k; flywheel broken and retired)
    1998 528 Auto (Bought at 122k Mi, parked at 175k Mi, awaiting Geberal Module repairs)

Registered Member

Yes | No
    BigRick,

Only reason I was able to trailer at those speeds is because: a) you know the German autobahns, I don't see anything but flat, smooth asphalt for nearly 3 hours, and; b) the trailer weight hauling max is near 1000 pds, so with nothing in it (or the about 300lbs coming back), the axle wasn't stressed at all. Plus, as my Dad taught me, I've already had those wheels off, and the bearings pulled out of the axle, packed them with fresh, new grease every year, and hopefully (knock on wood) I don't have to worry about the axle and/or seized bearings. But, truth be told, I've never looked at the speed rating on those tires, lol. Guess I better do that.

As far as scuba diving, I want to do it a few times to see how I like it. I have only snorkeled (off the reefs of Thailand and Malaysia, in the Andaman Sea). I absolutely loved it. The water was so pure blue, and I swam down to about 15 foot depths, and got to sit right beside all sorts of marine life. Incoming evening jellyfish were entrancing as anything I have ever seen. The highlight was getting enough nerve to pet this wild eel in the reefs the following days (the Thai divers are nuts, said "yeah, sure, it is wild, but is ok, we feed it fish all the time). So, having my Steve Irwin (rest in peace, Steve) moment, I ran my hand up its 3 or 4 ft length as it came out of the reef hole and am pretty sure I peed my pants at the same time, lol. Was one of the highlights of my life. Also, nearly was able to ride a huge 8-10ft wingspan manta ray but I knew those things aren't to be played with, so I watched while the Thai guys did this and then later learned they speared it and ate it at thie rvillage raised on stilts. I additionally remember, one day, that at the edge of the reefs, as we snorkeled, I gazed down in amazement at the hundreds of Mako sharks at the outer reef wall edge, down deep, as they ate the squid and whatever that got smashed up against the outer reef wall. They never once looked at us.

This was all years ago, back in the 90s, and I still remember like it was yesterday. Thus, going scuba so I can stay down is something I would love to try before I get too old to do it.
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.157.171

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Though I've not been diving in years, I know that many older folks still dive. You aren't too old, and as a cyclist, I know you're in more-than-good-enough shape to handle the rigors of diving. I just haven't got the equipment anymore. My tank got too old and couldn't be refilled so we took it out to the desert and used it for target practice with my son's M1 Garand. I was disappointed that it didn't explode when hit, but it flew a good 60 yards. And the regulator was something I would no longer entrust with my life after so many years of use. Yes, it was rigorously maintained, but I liked to dive deep, and thinking of a regulator failure at 100' (or deeper) just got to be too harrowing.

For quite a few years, I used to go to Catalina Island four to ten times a year on chartered dive boats, without setting foot on the island. I'd been to and under the island (in underwater caves) probably thirty or fourty times before I finally went ashore from a cruise ship stopover en route to Mexico. The diving over there (usually north of Avalon) was not nearly as exciting as your escapade, but it was still great fun. The visibility varied, but usually you could easily see more than 100' and the wildlife was quite varied and picturesque.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information