+ Reply to Thread
    Reseda

Yes | No

630 Mistakes You Can Learn From

I thought that I would post a timeline of my issues with this subject in hopes that someone else might learn from my experience with my '77 630 Csi...

For over a year, the only way to turn on the radio or wipers was to move the key back and forth until contact was made.

Someone suggested that it was a bad tumbler.

While waiting for the new tumbler to arrive, I was told that I did not have brake lights.

I replaced the brake switch, cleaned the sockets and replaced the bulbs and by accident, found out that the brakes also only worked when the radio was on.

None of the suggestions for removing the tumbler worked so I got too aggressive and use a drill to remove the old tumbler. That mistake caused damage to the "socket?" that it slips into.

While trying to remove the tumbler, the black plastic part on the end of the "steering lock/ignition switch" fell apart and that is when I realized that all of the problems were caused by the faulty switch.

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...IcjC78aloDKKLY

I ordered and replaced the switch but cannot use it with the new tumbler as the tumbler apparently does not make contact with the new switch so I started the car by placing a stubby screwdriver into the metal slot on the switch and turning.

Hooray! I now was able to at least drive my car again without the radio/wiper/brake light issues! My small victory was short lived when the car would only turn over and not start. It was a defective green wire which did not make contact unless I seated it correctly.A replacement switch is in the mail.

On Thanksgiving, I was backing the car out of the driveway and the steering locked up. I did manage to get it back into the driveway.

The sleeve that the tumbler slides into looks like a very large part and does not look easily serviceable. I do not see the short tube that is shown on the diagram. The new tumbler is now stuck in it. When I turn the steering wheel hard, the key in the ignition moves out slightly. Does anyone know how to unlock my steering wheel and possibly replace whatever part is in between the switch and the tumbler??????
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.245.158.30

Unregistered

Yes | No
    I dropped the column slightly ans moved the wheel back and forth and a small, broken piece of metal fell to the floor and the wheel now turns.

I still need to remove the tumbler and whatever the part is behind that is between the tumbler and switch. I cannot find any diagrams.

Reseda

Yes | No
    The steering wheel locked up again.

I have not been able to drive the car for over two months.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information