+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 196462 jeff86h is an unknown quantity at this point jeff86h's Avatar

Yes | No

New BMW Owner Advice Needed!

Hi all. First post on the forum.

I took my vehicle (530I 2004 w/82,000 miles) into the dealership to get the control arm replaced because the bushing was wearing away and it had a very slight pull to the left. With the car jacked up it had noticeable movement in the driver side wheel (about .25 of an inch). The next day i received a call saying they replaced the control arm, but now the steering is acting strange and they need to run a diagnostic and possibly recalibrate. A few hours later my service advisor called back and prefaced the conversation by stating he has terrible news - i need to replace my steering rack and my active power steering control module. Total cost $6,000.

Before i took my car in i had no knowledge of either of these going out. No leaks, no noise, no steering issues (except for the slight pull which i believe was caused by the worn control arm). Also, i had my car in the dealership for brakes less than a month ago. You think they would of said something if they noticed anything.

The car was in a wreck and repaired a few years ago. What they are saying is that sometime a wreck will reverse the polarity of the active steering and fry the module. Is this true? Even if it is why would my steering be fine until the dealership serviced it?

I haven't drove the car since i dropped it off, but what they are saying is that the steering feels loose and will suddenly jerk to one side.

I'm new to BMWs so, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeff86h; 11-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.198.88.10

Registered Member
    Member No: 196540 zacharyrizzuto is an unknown quantity at this point zacharyrizzuto's Avatar

Yes | No
    I need to replace my back speakers and Im not sure what size they are and does anyone have recommendations on best sounding brand for Bass and etc. It will be gladly appreciated also side note I will also be replacing my old head unit it is an after market Sony Xplod the one with the AUX port as I will be moving up to a head unit with blue tooth built in.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 42.201.254.26

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information