+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

My oil consumption has gone way up (11.5 years old, 105k miles)

When the car was young, oil consumption was nill. (Some of them guzzled oil from the get-go.) It gradually increased to the point where I'd go through a liter in about 7k miles. But, it's recently used a half-liter in 1,300 miles.

I'm assuming that the valve guide seals are getting old. There's no start up smoke or oil residue on the exhaust tips.

I change the oil in between scheduled oil changes, about every 7k miles. The engine's clean inside (looking through the oil fill hole). So, I doubt an oil return is clogged.

But, this is a data point that cars don't last forever. If it get through another inspection (25k miles), I'll be happy.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.63.75.216

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No
    This is wierd. I just finished a 1,500 mile ballistic run to North Carolina and back, mostly at 80 MPH or higher. I'd topped off the oil when I left. But, I took a liter of oil with me just in case. When I got back, I checked the oil level and it had barely moved.

This was the first road trip for the car since the summer of 2011. I checked the coolant to make sure I wasn't "making" oil out of coolant. It's fine.

I'd thrown in a jug of Techron on my trip. Maybe my rings were carboned up and sticking from poking around for a year and a half, and the Techron and high speed driving cleaned everything up.
    Last edited by goatboy; 03-19-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.59.92.229

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information