+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119267 duckloads is an unknown quantity at this point duckloads's Avatar

Yes | No

'95 525iT, No crank, No power windows,locks, sunroof, wipers only on high

I've been away from this site for a long time, but I'm back with a 1995 525iT. I'm having a bunch of electrical problems.

When trying to start the car, I get full dash lights, but no action from the starter. I have no power windows, sunroof, radio, or door locks. the wipers only work on high speed and don't park. The horn blows, headlights work, and cabin air blower works on all speeds.

Battery was going dead overnight.
    Found broken 3rd brake light wires
    Found broken rear window heater wires.
    Found faulty micro-switch at rear window lock, failed closed (making relay module click repeatedly)
    Measured 2.5+/- amp draw on battery even with the above repaired
    The RH and LH tailgate wiring harness are good,
    BOTH fusible links are fine
    All fuses are fine

I've pulled all fuses, relay module, and general module, but still have current draw.
    Any and all ideas and advise would sure be appreciated.

Chris
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.76.14.171

Registered Member
    Member No: 119267 duckloads is an unknown quantity at this point duckloads's Avatar

Yes | No
    I think I found the center of the electrical universe as for as the gremlins I'm having are concerned.

I have NO power at the starter terminal 50 with key in start position. I check power at the ignition switch. Got battery voltage at big red wire. I even have battery voltage at the black/yellow wire with key in start position. That black/yellow wire changes to black/green at big connector under dash and continues to the electric immobilizer control module (starter relay) located behind the LH kick panel speaker.

The wiring diagrams show the output of the starter relay to starter terminal 50 to be black/yellow. I HAVE NO power at the output of the relay.

I removed the relay and jumped between the two wires at the relay connector. FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Now to order a new relay and hope all else is well in my (car's) electrical universe.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.76.14.171

Registered Member
    Member No: 58057 Shogun will become famous soon enough Shogun's Avatar

Yes | No
    Problem solved, I told him to check under rear seat for water, corroded splices etc. Here his reply:

I spent 1/2 day today digging around under the rear seat power dist box. I found corrosion in a group of 4-red/white wires. I cut them back to good wire and soldered them together. This seemed to have fixed the radio. confirmed with wiring diagrams those were for the stereo system.

Two other bunches of small gage, crimped wires looked suspicious, so I soldered them also. I'm not sure what they went to. No other functions returned.

I sprayed the GM connectors with contact cleaner, and cleaned the RM connections with a small pick.

I've removed and cleaned all the grounds I could find under the rear seat. They were all in great shape to begin with.

Yep there has been water under rear seat. Yesterday, I removed both front seats and rear section of carpet. the carpet was very wet. The front carpet was dry. Everything is dry now.

The tailgate issues have all been sorted out. I cut the LH and RH wiring looms at the tailgate and all wires were perfect.
    ---------------
    My current draw is down to 0.23 amps. I've at least done something right.
    ---------------------
    Armed with pages from the electrical diagrams and my multi-meter, I found TWO MORE corroded spliced connections under the rear seat power distribution box. I totally missed these yesterday. I had to cut the wires back a couple of inches to find good, clean copper to solder.

ITS BACK! ITS ALL BACK!!!!! EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One good benefit of my nearly month-long efforts, is that I got a GM with one-touch-down power windows. Plus some perfectly good GM's and a relay module to sell.

Thanks everyone.

The moral of the story is that if all fuse links are good, and all other crap is good, THEN THERE ARE CORRODED CRIMPED CONNECTIONS UNDER THE REAR POWER DISTROBUTION BOX.

Holy crap. I'm tired.
    SHOGUN’s TRICKS AND TIPS FOR THE SEVEN SERIES
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 58.87.150.186

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information