+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 202868 Borislav98 is an unknown quantity at this point Borislav98's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW Z3 Convertible conversion

I am very interested in acquiring a 1999 to 2002 Z3. However I am not fond of convertibles. The hatchbacks seem to be very rare. Am I correct? Therefore, can a convertible Roadster be converted into a permanent hardtop? Are there kits available for this. Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z3
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.39.222.245

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 14582
    Inner Circle ©66 since: Mar 27, 2012 Cleegard is on a distinguished road Cleegard's Avatar

Yes | No
    BMW did make a removable hardtop that one could find used for around $1500-$2200 which needed a installation kit (that is no longer manufactured by BMW) for around $200. If I were you, I would look for someone selling a Z3 w/hardtop already installed. The "hatchback" or coupe had a distinctive look and they are around although, like you say, they sold in fewer numbers than the roadsters. The coupe's are stiffer, and quieter than the roadster - if interested you may want to check out the Z3 Coupe forum on this board
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.12.122.105

Registered Member
    Member No: 100814 prdz3 is an unknown quantity at this point prdz3's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a removeable hardtop

Not only do they look good, they stiffen and quiet the car a lot. No reason you couldn't just leave it on all the time.
    '97 1.9 Montreal Blue
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 216.157.112.13

Registered Member
    Member No: 80340 khammack is an unknown quantity at this point khammack's Avatar

Yes | No
    Anything is possible given enough money, but it would be VERY expensive to covert a convertible Z3 into a coupe Z3. You can, however, get one of the removable hardtops for the convertible and just leave it on all of the time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 73.243.60.228

Registered Member
    Member No: 183345 Badger56 is an unknown quantity at this point Badger56's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Borislav98 View Post
    I am very interested in acquiring a 1999 to 2002 Z3. However I am not fond of convertibles. The hatchbacks seem to be very rare. Am I correct? Therefore, can a convertible Roadster be converted into a permanent hardtop? Are there kits available for this. Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z3
    The easy answer is to locate a roadster with a hardtop and keep it on. Hardtops are not always easy to find but they are around and even if the color is different can easily be painted by a shop to match your roadster. I wouldn't go hardcore to modify a roadster, not worth it, and it decreases the value of the roadster.

Personally, if I wasn't "married" to my roadster, I'd search for a Porsche Cayman. Awesome car, great handling, nice looking.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.17.52.128

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information