+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 191967 TheRealRachel is an unknown quantity at this point TheRealRachel's Avatar

Yes | No

MZ3.net is down- anyone have info on the seat penny trick?

Hi- and apologies for the strange handle.
    My 97 2.3 seat is sliding, and I am sure its not the seat rocking because that was done with delrin bushings. Its the other kind of rocking that RichC wrote up on MZ3.net.
    RichC doesn't have the original files he gave to Robert to make the article on MZ3.net and Charlie R bought MZ3.net to host here on Roadfly.
    I don't know who has Roadfly now, but MZ3.net is mostly down.

Any chance the current owners would put MZ3.net articles back up?
    Any chance someone knows the penny trick?

I did get these:
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/way_5382488_ma...nce-bmw-z.html

http://www.**********.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=540807

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t-Rocking-quot

but I'm not doing the repair myself, its a great mechanic and he is having trouble poring through so many posts.

The MZ3.net article was clear and concise

I am not sure how Roadfly works these days, not sure if I will know if anyone posts a response on this thread. I sure would appreciate an email if anyone can help.
    rachel at z3ers.com

TIA
    Rachel
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.78.204.231

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No
    I vaguely remember the penny trick, but I think it was for the rocking seat and Whalen's bushings were for sliding. The penny trick just wedged a penny between the upper and lower parts of the track (where the chair sits vs where the track bolts to the floor). Sorry I don't have a picture to help, though.
    TexZan

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio -
    AUX input via tapedeck
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.174.195.108

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 14582
    Inner Circle ©67 since: Mar 27, 2012 Cleegard is on a distinguished road Cleegard's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Rachel

I only found two articles that I printed and kept in a notebook in case of "future" issues that I can post. Neither of these web links work any longer - the one from Doug's Z3 link probably will you help the most - can you give me an email addy that I can send them to as I have no idea how to attach a PDF to this site, or how to PM you.
    Cliff
    "Snazzzy"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.216.112

Carlín96/M44

Yes | No

I found something from TurnAround (2006)

Yes | No

Be aware that there are two other causes to check

For most folks it is the bushings inside the tracks. But check for two other things.. just so that you don't go through all the bushing work and still have the problem.

- The bottom of the seat is a black painted metal pan. It bolts to the frame that has all the motors and gears. Right where the two front bolts are BMW puts these little white plastic wedges between the seat pan and the frame, then the bolt gets torqued down. Over time the little wedges can work their way out and you get play in the seat. Look for the tail end of the white plastic wedges. Check both seats. You are bound have some in place, so that will give you the visual on what to look for. I don't believe the back two bolts have them. Just the front.

Some folks have jammed a penny into the gap and retightened (and no, btw, simply tightening the bolts down without the wedge doesn't seem to work. Can't explain whay). What I did was create two new wedges by grinding / tapering the end of a zip tie. You can buy the parts from BMW but as I recall they wanted too much (hence making them).

- The other thing that can go wrong is that the scissor joints in the raising / lowering mechanism will develop wear in the brass bushings. There is no fix that I know of. I suppose there's a solution out there to be figured out, but in my case the car was under waranty and they replaced the entire carriage.

You can identify which type of problem you are having by having someone sit in the seat, and you get yer head down there with a flash light (never mind how comical this looks). Have them rock their back, back and forth. If it is bushing wear / play in the seat rails, the seat won't move. It takes driving to reproduce that fore / aft slide effect (clack!). If it's the wedgy thing or the scissor bushings.. you'll actually see them moving around.

I had the scissor joint play problem on the Coupe, and the missing wedgy thingy problem on the Roadster.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.143.20

Registered Member
    Member No: 191967 TheRealRachel is an unknown quantity at this point TheRealRachel's Avatar

Yes | No
    Carlin that is all good info, thank you! What does this part mean:
    [h=2]I found something from TurnAround (2006)[/h] Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bryanclar View Post
    I vaguely remember the penny trick, but I think it was for the rocking seat and Whalen's bushings were for sliding. The penny trick just wedged a penny between the upper and lower parts of the track (where the chair sits vs where the track bolts to the floor). Sorry I don't have a picture to help, though.
    Heya- That's what I remember too, and he had a great picture of it so I couldn't possibly screw it up. Wish I could find a pic of the penny sitting where it should. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cleegard View Post
    I only found two articles that I printed and kept in a notebook in case of "future" issues that I can post. Neither of these web links work any longer - the one from Doug's Z3 link probably will you help the most - can you give me an email addy that I can send them to as I have no idea how to attach a PDF to this site, or how to PM you.
    Cliff
    "Snazzzy"
    Thank you! [email protected] :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.245.54.82

Registered Member

Yes | No

The Penny Fix!

doh! doh! doh again!

I decided to google "z3 seat penny" and look for images and turns out the pics came right up, and guess where they were from? my own site (www.z3ers.com)!
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...ats/seats.html

its like Snazzy, I saved a lot of good posts from the old bimmer.org board, and that was one of them!

Here's the pics:
    seat1.jpgseat3.jpg
    Really funny, I gotta go tell RichC now...
    Thank you everyone - and Snazzy yes please if you can still send me what you have I will try to add it to my collection and may need to use it because Carlin is right, it may not be the penny trick that I need, I may need to look further.
    OK now I will go try the penny trick... hilarious!

MikeinNH

Yes | No
    Wow, look at the 'ol once-familiar names.. It's a shame MZ3.net is gone, lots of good info there, nice to know Esmerelda's page still exists...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.245.52.236

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Hey MikeinNH, good to see you! 20 years later... I was just thinking of Roger the Old Codger with new respect.

Carlín96/M44

Yes | No

Long time here too Rachel...don't remember if it was Homecoming or your visit to

Seattle.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.255.195

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Carlin, did you go to HC '02? That was my last, and before that in August 01...
    Pdrm0042.jpg not sure if link works... your car had just been hit too...http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081101/zeattle02.html

If you get a chance to take a picture of those zip tie tabs... ;)

Carlín96/M44

Yes | No

Both HC and Seattle

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.215.93

Registered Member
    Member No: 4562 gormz3 is an unknown quantity at this point gormz3's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinNH View Post
    Wow, look at the 'ol once-familiar names.. It's a shame MZ3.net is gone, lots of good info there, nice to know Esmerelda's page still exists...
    Some of us are still around and active on other forums, some are still involved with the cars but but the forums are seldom visited, some are around mostly in name only.

Lots of good memories though!

Stygar and I; are we taking a nap, or scrutinizing a newly implemented repair/reinforcement that would save hundreds of Z3/Ms...?

Stygar and The Redhead at the TotD's overlook.

Ron and the other Tom @ HC05.

Max and Daniel after fitting Ireland bushes to Dwayne's Coupe.

Mr. and Mrs. Pinecone.

Daniel and PH Rider.

Dr. Burr and Ron.

The Redhead and yours truly.

In the meantime, The Redhead and I relocated to Florida, and I added a Coupe__the former Zoran's and later, Red Jen's__to the fleet.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.212.243

MikeinNH

Yes | No
    Great pics, Randy... I see a few Z3s in NH, but the New England area isn't as active as it was in the late '90s, by any stretch... My '97 has only about 68K miles on it...
    And I added a new distraction, myself - a Piaggio BV 250 Tourer scooter that I really enjoy riding (may move 'up' to a BV 350 soon), and that competes with the Z3 for my attention on nice days... At least considering moving a bit farther south, myself, but only as far as the mid-Atlantic... Good to see some of the old-timers checking in...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 172.68.54.59

gormz4

Yes | No
    Thanks! There was one picture I looked for but didn't turn up; well I found it the other day while looking for something else!

Denise, Carlos, Dave and Carrie, aka cargogal.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.212.243

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information