+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 203098 my1998z3 is an unknown quantity at this point my1998z3's Avatar

Yes | No

passenger seat removal

I found a post about seat problems and somewhere may have missed this one. I need help on gettindg my passenger seat out. Fuse is good but know nothing more.The seat does nothing period and I do not see a way to manually move it forward to remove rear nuts or bolts. Help would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.238.13

Carlín96/M44

Yes | No

If you have not move the sit from the comfort setting for a while it does stick..

what I have done in the past for the up/down stuck position is to sit hard until the motor respond to the switch. For the fwd/aft slam your back hard to the back of the sit. Note: For old cars don't move the sits until the max stop of the motor back up a couple of clicks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.255.195

Registered Member
    Member No: 203098 my1998z3 is an unknown quantity at this point my1998z3's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks for the input,not the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Carlín96/M44 View Post
    what I have done in the past for the up/down stuck position is to sit hard until the motor respond to the switch. For the fwd/aft slam your back hard to the back of the sit. Note: For old cars don't move the sits until the max stop of the motor back up a couple of clicks.
    With further examination,both motors are bad and most likely the switch to. I can do nothing that I am aware of to remove the seat,I can't raise it up to work underneath nor can I move it forward or back. My question is how do I remove it given the problem I have ?

Registered Member

Yes | No
    With further examination,both motors are bad and most likely the switch to. I can do nothing that I am aware of to remove the seat,I can't raise it up to work underneath nor can I move it forward or back. My question is how do I remove it given the problem I have ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 80340 khammack is an unknown quantity at this point khammack's Avatar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.245.50.96

Registered Member

Yes | No

I agree with number 7, however!

I have already tried number7 at least on the front,can't get to the back. my rails on that seat are frozen too.I knew anbout that one. I am going to have to do it away from any of the logical, I'm stumped!

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Everything about my seat mechanics are bad, can't get to the rear motor to raise the seat,seat is all the way down,no hand room, the front motor is out and number 7 performed.One rail moves very little and the other not at all. the logic is out the window,there has got to be an outside the box answer to get this seat out. Can't get to the cushion screws either,I took the front nuts off and still can't raise the seat enough to work underneath. You would think they would have provide a disengage or something,but apparently not.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    my motors are bad,my rails are bad,can't get to anything after motor removal except the manual gears on left and right, one moves a little and the other is stripped.I need the seat out and new rail unit installed, I don't mind tearing up the rail unit that I can't get out but can't figure out a way to damage it to remove the seat either. I have never run into a problem like this.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.238.119

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Seat is now removed

Registered Member
    Member No: 80340 khammack is an unknown quantity at this point khammack's Avatar

Yes | No
    So how did you get it out?

Registered Member

Yes | No

passenger seat removal

First as I had said,everything was bad on mine almost.I found that with the front motor out and a screw driver ground to fit the slot that the shaft came out of, the door side gear was stripped and on the other side it moved a little,I broke the aluminum housing off that you put the tool in, straight back from where it was inside the rail is the actual screw that makes the seat work, the ground screw driver also fits it.I then started moving it back and fourth until I got small movements.After I could turn it a full rotation I started doing the same on both sides. The seat started moving slowly and finally far enough forward to get to the bolts in the rear.Very difficult to get to and get pressure to loosen inside bolt, outside no problem. It took a lot of patience and thinking outside the box, just a note: I knew my rail system was bad and I had to tear it up to fix it. If your screw system is not stripped? the procedure would work without damage.I ordered a rail system complete with motors so I had no problem with tearing up my old one. PS: If you need to raise the seat to work on it if yours don't raise,The same application applies, It is the back motor and if it's all the way down you can't get the mounting screws out of the motor. However, you can pull the flex shaft out by hand, only one shaft in the rear, then follow the same procedure as the front,I did this to make it easier to reach things.

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Sounds like persistence paid off.

Thanks for the details. I really hope I don't need to ever use them. (c;

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information