+ Reply to Thread
    Navy

Yes | No

Maintaining 12V to radio during battery replacement.

Hello everyone, my 1992 730i has a wee problem. The original bmw radio has seen better days the lcd screen has faded and non readable. Sadly, when I last removed the battery the radio
    would not accept the code. I tried guessing the presses on the key pad but no joy and no radio for a year. Then by luck one day I got it to work. Now, I need to replace the battery in the car
    car with a new one and I don't want to lose the code again when I disconnect the terminals. I tried using a donor battery connected to the terminals in the engine bay but as i started to
    disconnect the terminals the radio switched off and on again so I thought better to leave it.
    So, any ideas how I can change the car battery without losing power to the radio. I REALLY want everything as original and replacing the radio is not an option for me even with a non
    working lcd.
    Many thanks
    André
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 141.101.99.58

Registered Member
    Member No: 58057 Shogun will become famous soon enough Shogun's Avatar

Yes | No
    The radio code you can get from the dealer if you prove that you own the car, you need the serial number of the radio. There are also some services only which offer the radio code for a service fee. Just google for BMW radio code.
    But you can also keep power to the radio with a 9V memory saver

search on *bay for
    9 Volt Automotive On Board Car Computer Memory Saver
    https://itstillruns.com/replace-car-...y-7695043.html
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/me...-0113004p.html
    Memory Saver retains your personal settings when your vehicle's battery is disconnected
    •Simply Plug into your 12V cigarette lighter outlet to retain the personal settings in your vehicle's on board computer including; radio pre-sets, alarms, clocks, pre-set seat positions, key less entry settings and more
    •Designed for all makes and models
    •9V alkaline battery needed
    SHOGUN’s TRICKS AND TIPS FOR THE SEVEN SERIES
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.226.64

Navy

Yes | No
    Thanks Shogun,

I've got the code already it's the radio LCD screen and the actual pressing the numbers into the radio that presents the problem as I cannot see exactly which numbers I'm selecting. I just got lucky before.

Will google the 9v memory saver though as that sounds perfect.

Thanks for all your help

André
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 141.101.99.58

Registered Member
    Member No: 58057 Shogun will become famous soon enough Shogun's Avatar

Yes | No
    The LCD can be repaired, there are specialized shops which repair older radios, climate control panels etc.

Anyway, just in case you have probs with the code, here are the details:
    Updated by TSB #6502933729 Nov 1986.

The BMW anti-theft radio circuitry is designed to essentially render your radio unsalable if it is stolen. If the radio is subsequently electrically reconnected, it will not operate until a five-digit security code assigned to your radio is entered. The anti-theft features and operation are as follows:

After the ignition key is removed, the red "anti-theft" LED will continuously flash, drawing attention to this feature.
    Should anyone, such as a thief, touch any push-button on the radio after the key is removed, the anti-theft inscription will flash and a warning tone will sound for 5 minutes or until the ignition is turned ON .
    Should the voltage supply to the radio drop below 5 volts due to a dead battery, electrical repairs, or radio removal (such as theft), the radio will not function when voltage is restored. The word "code" will show in the display only.
    The proper 5-digit code shown on the TWO CARDS SUPPLIED TO YOU must then be entered (using the proper number radio push-button selectors in the bottom row) when the radio is on and the display shows "code". If the correct code is not entered in three successive tries , the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been left on for one hour with the ignition ON . IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 43215 and you mistakenly enter 42 instead of 3, continue the code number sequence of 215 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "code" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 43215 and operation of the radio will continue. The likelihood of guessing the correct code is extremely remote. The radio is, therefore, unsalable to a thief. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately ! Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    The code card should be placed in your wallet, or with the vehicle title papers for security as deemed necessary by your individual needs.
    Should radio or electrical repairs become necessary, please give the repairing facility the radio code number. If you do not, only authorized BMW dealer personnel can obtain the code from BMW.
    Should you lose your code cards, contact the nearest BMW dealer who will then obtain your code from BMW. You may be charged for removal of the radio to ascertain the radio chassis number.
    SHOGUN’s TRICKS AND TIPS FOR THE SEVEN SERIES
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.226.64

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information