+ Reply to Thread
    P Wiley

Yes | No

Steering Wheel Sits Crooked

Hi all. When driving straight road, my steering wheel does not sit straight it sits about 1" to the right. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I have the Haynes and Bentley manuals but they don't touch on this or I've missed something. Also, when doing about 80 mph there is a vibration through the steering wheel and when braking the steering wheel will shimmy for a short period of time. Any suggestions on what the cause might be? This car has sat for more than two years but once I replaced the battery she started right up! I'm so thrilled to be back behind the wheel<p>Thanks for any help.<p>Patsy<br>1985 585i 152K<p>

P Wiley

Yes | No

Re: Steering Wheel Sits Crooked

make that 535i -- thanks

Drew

Yes | No

The exact same thing is happening to me!<br>It seems to shake slightly when braking at high speed on hills, otherwise braking at high speeds is fine. The wheel it self sits slightly to the left, I guessed it may be the wheel alignment and I was just going to send it in for one of the 90 point checks or whatever, but ifd I can DIY it'd be nice =]<br>

greg

Yes | No

You can straighten wheel w/out alignment...

<i><br>Hi all. When driving straight road, my steering wheel does not sit straight it sits about 1" to the right. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I have the Haynes and Bentley manuals but they don't touch on this or I've missed something. Also, when doing about 80 mph there is a vibration through the steering wheel and when braking the steering wheel will shimmy for a short period of time. Any suggestions on what the cause might be? This car has sat for more than two years but once I replaced the battery she started right up! I'm so thrilled to be back behind the wheel<p>Thanks for any help.<p>Patsy<br>1985 585i 152K<p></i>Ive done this to my 535 a couple of times, its real simple. Feel free to e-mail me if you need a description on how to do it. :-)<br>

RonW

Yes | No

When you say "it sits about 1 inch to the right" which of the following do you mean?<br>1. Its center is a little to the right of the center of the instrument cluster.<br>2. It's twisted as if you were making a right turn.<p>If you mean #1, that is one thing that annoys me about these cars, particularly because the wheel obscures the part of the speedo I use most. Oh well, as they teach them to say at the dealer, "Zay ahl do zeese."<p>If you mean #2, this happened to my '86 535i after it got a front end alignment. I unbolted the steering wheel and put it back on straight.<br><i><br>Hi all. When driving straight road, my steering wheel does not sit straight it sits about 1" to the right. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I have the Haynes and Bentley manuals but they don't touch on this or I've missed something. Also, when doing about 80 mph there is a vibration through the steering wheel and when braking the steering wheel will shimmy for a short period of time. Any suggestions on what the cause might be? This car has sat for more than two years but once I replaced the battery she started right up! I'm so thrilled to be back behind the wheel<p>Thanks for any help.<p>Patsy<br>1985 585i 152K</i><br>

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information