+ Reply to Thread
    Duke - 85 M535i

Yes | No

VDO oil pressure sending unit question????????????

Hello all,<br>I am installing my VDO gauges and have a question about the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge.<p>The sending unit has two connections on it. one had a "G" stamped net to it and I know that goes to the corresponding "G" on the gauge. The other connection has a "WK" stamped by it. Where does this go? Ground, power, my earlobe, what????<p>TIA,<br>Duke<br>85 M535i<p>PS - got my Hartge windage tray yesterday...wooo hoooo<br>Also go the Valve Cover and intake back from the powder coater…they look awesome. Will post a pic soon.<br>

Shawn D.

Yes | No

Not your earlobe, but...

... on a sensitive body part. "WK" stands for "wankerklammp" and you're supposed to put an alligator clip on the tip of your _____ in order to get a notifying shock in a low-oil-pressure emergency. I hear Hans Stuck swears by this setup.<br><i><br>Hello all,<br>I am installing my VDO gauges and have a question about the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge.<p>The sending unit has two connections on it. one had a "G" stamped net to it and I know that goes to the corresponding "G" on the gauge. The other connection has a "WK" stamped by it. Where does this go? Ground, power, my earlobe, what????<p>TIA,<br>Duke<br>85 M535i<p>PS - got my Hartge windage tray yesterday...wooo hoooo<br>Also go the Valve Cover and intake back from the powder coater…they look awesome. Will post a pic soon.<p></i><br>

PeteMO

Yes | No

I thought it was Wild Kingdom...and it

let you know when you were near a zoo. My German is no bueno...

jim in sd

Yes | No

from vdo wiring schematic

<i>duke i have my vdo wiring schematic in hand,....the "wk" takes a lead that runs to/thru an idiot light and finally to a hot fuse. "g" as you noted corresponds with the "g" on the guage itself. the last connection is the "plus" which also goes to a hot fuse.<br>as the diagram goes, i think, that you can do without the idiot light that is in series with the "wk" and run that lead directly to the "hot fuse"........<br>worse case scenerio, get me a fax number and i'll shoot you this info.<br>for what its worth , this is the schematic that i used to wire up my "euro" oil pressure, oil temp and volt guages.....<p>jim<p><p><p><p><p><p>Hello all,<br>I am installing my VDO gauges and have a question about the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge.<p>The sending unit has two connections on it. one had a "G" stamped net to it and I know that goes to the corresponding "G" on the gauge. The other connection has a "WK" stamped by it. Where does this go? Ground, power, my earlobe, what????<p>TIA,<br>Duke<br>85 M535i<p>PS - got my Hartge windage tray yesterday...wooo hoooo<br>Also go the Valve Cover and intake back from the powder coater…they look awesome. Will post a pic soon.<p></i><br>

Richard '83 533i Houston
    Member No: Richard '83 533i Houston's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How to wire various VDO gauges...

<i>The link provides some insite into how to wire various VDO gauges and the senders if required.<p>Rich<p>duke i have my vdo wiring schematic in hand,....the "wk" takes a lead that runs to/thru an idiot light and finally to a hot fuse. "g" as you noted corresponds with the "g" on the guage itself. the last connection is the "plus" which also goes to a hot fuse.<br>as the diagram goes, i think, that you can do without the idiot light that is in series with the "wk" and run that lead directly to the "hot fuse"........<br>worse case scenerio, get me a fax number and i'll shoot you this info.<br>for what its worth , this is the schematic that i used to wire up my "euro" oil pressure, oil temp and volt guages.....<p>jim<p><p><p><br>Hello all,<br>I am installing my VDO gauges and have a question about the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge.<p>The sending unit has two connections on it. one had a "G" stamped net to it and I know that goes to the corresponding "G" on the gauge. The other connection has a "WK" stamped by it. Where does this go? Ground, power, my earlobe, what????<p>TIA,<br>Duke<br>85 M535i<p>PS - got my Hartge windage tray yesterday...wooo hoooo<br>Also go the Valve Cover and intake back from the powder coater…they look awesome. Will post a pic soon.<p><br></i><br>

Brandon

Yes | No

Are you keeping the idiot light, too?

If so, what sort of t-fitting or adapter are you using?<p>Brandon<br>(who has VDO gauges but not installed yet....)<p>

Duke - 85 M535i

Yes | No

THANKS GUYS!!! ? answered

Will not be running the "warning" light. I all ready have the stock one.<p>Duke

Devinder

Yes | No

where did you install the can?

From your question, I assume you have the VDO "can" type dual sender/switch combo. If you put it where the old switch was in the head, then the idiot light wire should go to "WK" and the new gauge should go to "G".<p>If you kept the old switch, then where did you put it?<p>Devinder<p><i><br>Will not be running the "warning" light. I all ready have the stock one.<p>Duke<p></i><br>

Shawn D.

Yes | No

I'm installing gauges & am keeping the idiot light

Brandon,<p>I am using a 12mmx1.5-to-1/8NPT adapter from egauges.com and a 1x-male/2x-female tee from Mcmaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) along with a GM sender that my Dad had lying around (it's 1/8NPT and free). The other tee hole is going to my Auto Meter mechanical oil pressure gauge. If you want to go this route, I can find the PNs later because I'm doing my taxes right now (well, not exactly right now -- I needed a break); otherwise, you can wait for my writeup to appear on Brad C.'s site in a little while, maybe a month.<br><i><br>If so, what sort of t-fitting or adapter are you using?<p>Brandon<br>(who has VDO gauges but not installed yet....)<p></i><br>

TC in Germany

Yes | No

Right next to the Blinker fluid reservoir, you -

<i><br>Hello all,<br>I am installing my VDO gauges and have a question about the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge.<p>The sending unit has two connections on it. one had a "G" stamped net to it and I know that goes to the corresponding "G" on the gauge. The other connection has a "WK" stamped by it. Where does this go? Ground, power, my earlobe, what????<p>TIA,<br>Duke<br>85 M535i<p>PS - got my Hartge windage tray yesterday...wooo hoooo<br>Also go the Valve Cover and intake back from the powder coater…they look awesome. Will post a pic soon.<p></i><br>

StanW (seattle)

Yes | No

Jim, check your email.....

Duke - 85 M535i

Yes | No

I have the oil cooler option.......

On the front side of the oil filter housing assembly, there is a 17mm plug. My sending unit screwed right in. Works like a charm. <p>Duke

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information