+ Reply to Thread
    Dave

Yes | No

busted wiper switch

OK, I hit my wiper switch too hard today, now its on all the time. <p>Can someone tell me 1) what fuse controls it, and 2) is there is a hack fix for it.<p>Thanks,<p>Dave<br>'74 3.0s<br>'76 02

Alan Trimble

Yes | No

Re: busted wiper switch

<i>: OK, I hit my wiper switch too hard today, now its on all the time. <p>: Can someone tell me 1) what fuse controls it, and 2) is there is a hack fix for it.<p>: Thanks,<p>: Dave<br>: '74 3.0s<br>: '76 02<p></i><br>I'm not sure which fuse controls the switch, but it should be marked on the fuse panel door. If necessary, I'll check mine and post it here for you. <br>There's a hack fix for damn near anything. My 3 yr. old son broke the dimmer switch lever off of the column on my '72 Bav. I wired in a floor mounted switch intended for a Ford truck. Total cost $3.00. It'll have to do until I can fix it properly.<br>More to the point, the column mounted switch <i>should</i> be a single pole/single throw switch, which can be replaced by a simple toggle switch. Your wiper speed switch is dash mounted, correct? When you press the column mounted switch, it turns the wipers on in 'intermittent' mode?

Dave

Yes | No

Re: busted wiper switch

Alan -<p>To operate it, I have to push in the button on the end (for off/on) and then select the speed.<p>This confused the hell out of me at first, because on my 2002, you just turn it to the speed you want. <p>So right now, if I push it in, and thus on, it stays on, at whatever speed I select. Only way to get it off is to shut off the car.<p>If I can't fix it, mebbe I'll just put a small toggle in. <p>-Dave<p><br><i>: : OK, I hit my wiper switch too hard today, now its on all the time. <p>: : Can someone tell me 1) what fuse controls it, and 2) is there is a hack fix for it.<p>: : Thanks,<p>: : Dave<br>: : '74 3.0s<br>: : '76 02<p>: <br>: I'm not sure which fuse controls the switch, but it should be marked on the fuse panel door. If necessary, I'll check mine and post it here for you. <br>: There's a hack fix for damn near anything. My 3 yr. old son broke the dimmer switch lever off of the column on my '72 Bav. I wired in a floor mounted switch intended for a Ford truck. Total cost $3.00. It'll have to do until I can fix it properly.<br>: More to the point, the column mounted switch should be a single pole/single throw switch, which can be replaced by a simple toggle switch. Your wiper speed switch is dash mounted, correct? When you press the column mounted switch, it turns the wipers on in 'intermittent' mode?<p></i>

Luis Cordero

Yes | No

Re: busted wiper switch, Erk can you check this?

Dave,<p>I don't know much about E3's, as my car is an E12 (1980-528i). However, I know that there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable. I figure a wiper switch/lever maybe is standard.<p>I have finished parting out another E12. A fellow bougth the turn signal lights switch, so I have the wiper one. <p>If you want you can check if its the same, and if interested I'll let go for $35 plus $4 shipping (Priority mail, 1-3days). Part at dealer is about $125-140.<p>PS. I figure most steering column assemblies are similar. You will have to remove the bottom cover and the steering wheel to replace the switch. At least on my car that's how it's done.<p>You can reach me at (213) 742-4011<br>or email me at [email protected]

Alan Trimble

Yes | No

Bav wiper switch

<i>: Dave,<p>: I don't know much about E3's, as my car is an E12 (1980-528i). However, I know that there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable. I figure a wiper switch/lever maybe is standard.<p>: I have finished parting out another E12. A fellow bougth the turn signal lights switch, so I have the wiper one. <p>: If you want you can check if its the same, and if interested I'll let go for $35 plus $4 shipping (Priority mail, 1-3days). Part at dealer is about $125-140.<p>: PS. I figure most steering column assemblies are similar. You will have to remove the bottom cover and the steering wheel to replace the switch. At least on my car that's how it's done.<p>: You can reach me at (213) 742-4011<br>: or email me at [email protected]<p></i><br>Luis, the Bav uses a real oddball setup. I'm pretty sure the Coupes are the same. The stalk on the right contains the turn signal switch and the wiper on/off switch. The stalk on the left is the dimmer switch only. Completely backwards from nearly every other car in the universe. Don't know what the fives use, but I hope it's not this goofball setup. I'd be happy to scan some pics from my owner's manual if you want them.

Erk

Yes | No

Hold on a sec...

<i>: : Dave,<p>: : I don't know much about E3's, as my car is an E12 (1980-528i). However, I know that there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable. I figure a wiper switch/lever maybe is standard.<p>: : I have finished parting out another E12. A fellow bougth the turn signal lights switch, so I have the wiper one. <p>: : If you want you can check if its the same, and if interested I'll let go for $35 plus $4 shipping (Priority mail, 1-3days). Part at dealer is about $125-140.<p>: : PS. I figure most steering column assemblies are similar. You will have to remove the bottom cover and the steering wheel to replace the switch. At least on my car that's how it's done.<p>: : You can reach me at (213) 742-4011<br>: : or email me at [email protected]<p>: <br>: Luis, the Bav uses a real oddball setup. I'm pretty sure the Coupes are the same. The stalk on the right contains the turn signal switch and the wiper on/off switch. The stalk on the left is the dimmer switch only. Completely backwards from nearly every other car in the universe. Don't know what the fives use, but I hope it's not this goofball setup. I'd be happy to scan some pics from my owner's manual if you want them.<p></i><p>Dave - What year is the e-3? After 74 the setup was changed on the steering column. Turn signal/dimmer on the left, Wiper on the right, speed control by moving the wiper stalk up or down. The Setup is NOT interchangeable with an e12 for any year e3. <p>If your Bav is Pre-74, either buy a new switch, or try Alan's suggestion. Post 74, buy a new switch or look for a junked car of the same year.

Dave

Yes | No

Re: Hold on a sec...

It's a '74...I might just get real cheap and put a toggle switch on it if I can figure out which wire to use.<p>Wife wants me to get rid of it :( so I don't know how long it'll be in my hot little hands...<p>Dave<p><br><i>: : : Dave,<p>: : : I don't know much about E3's, as my car is an E12 (1980-528i). However, I know that there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable. I figure a wiper switch/lever maybe is standard.<p>: : : I have finished parting out another E12. A fellow bougth the turn signal lights switch, so I have the wiper one. <p>: : : If you want you can check if its the same, and if interested I'll let go for $35 plus $4 shipping (Priority mail, 1-3days). Part at dealer is about $125-140.<p>: : : PS. I figure most steering column assemblies are similar. You will have to remove the bottom cover and the steering wheel to replace the switch. At least on my car that's how it's done.<p>: : : You can reach me at (213) 742-4011<br>: : : or email me at [email protected]<p>: : <br>: : Luis, the Bav uses a real oddball setup. I'm pretty sure the Coupes are the same. The stalk on the right contains the turn signal switch and the wiper on/off switch. The stalk on the left is the dimmer switch only. Completely backwards from nearly every other car in the universe. Don't know what the fives use, but I hope it's not this goofball setup. I'd be happy to scan some pics from my owner's manual if you want them.<p><br>: Dave - What year is the e-3? After 74 the setup was changed on the steering column. Turn signal/dimmer on the left, Wiper on the right, speed control by moving the wiper stalk up or down. The Setup is NOT interchangeable with an e12 for any year e3. <p>: If your Bav is Pre-74, either buy a new switch, or try Alan's suggestion. Post 74, buy a new switch or look for a junked car of the same year.<p></i>

Erk

Yes | No

Re: Hold on a sec...

<i>: It's a '74...I might just get real cheap and put a toggle switch on it if I can figure out which wire to use.<p>: Wife wants me to get rid of it :( so I don't know how long it'll be in my hot little hands...<p>: Dave<p>Heh. Well, when the wife isn't looking 8^) look around your local junk yards for a later model e3. You can probably take the switch for cheap, and it's not too hard to change out. Either way you go, good luck!

Dave

Yes | No

fixed! sort of :)

I removed the ground to the wiper motor, stuck a spade connector in there, ran it to an old foglamp toggle under the dash, and voila! "fixed". Now when it decides to stay on I can just override it.<p>Beats money for a new one.<p>Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information