+ Reply to Thread
    H.

Yes | No

E30 M3 vs. Porsche 968

Here's a question I have wanted an answer to for a while, and thought this would a good place to get some opinions:

How does an E30 M3 compare to a Porsche 968? I have never driven either, but from what I understand, both are very good-handling and balanced cars, both have high output four cylinder engines (with some engine vibration in every day driving, right?), and both are well-built, both require careful caring, so on paper, they seem like similar cars. Has anyone driven both, or does anyone know of a place on the net where I can find a comparison test? The Porsche is probably fatser 0-60, and some people have told me it handles better, but the BMW DOES have in incredible racing heritage behind it...

I have been tempted to buy both, although my love for BMW tells me to forget the Porsche.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dave S.

Yes | No

Re: E30 M3 vs. Porsche 968

: Here's a question I have wanted an answer to for a while, and thought this would a good place to get some opinions:

: How does an E30 M3 compare to a Porsche 968? I have never driven either, but from what I understand, both are very good-handling and balanced cars, both have high output four cylinder engines (with some engine vibration in every day driving, right?), and both are well-built, both require careful caring, so on paper, they seem like similar cars. Has anyone driven both, or does anyone know of a place on the net where I can find a comparison test? The Porsche is probably fatser 0-60, and some people have told me it handles better, but the BMW DOES have in incredible racing heritage behind it...

: I have been tempted to buy both, although my love for BMW tells me to forget the Porsche.

: Any insight would be appreciated.

Go with your gut. Besides its racing heritage, the M3 is going to go up in value as they are starting to be a practical collectable. The 968 is the last version of a car that was never held dearly by the p-car faithful and is going to tumble in value as every other liquid cooled p-car.

Soi

Yes | No

: : Here's a question I have wanted an answer to for a while, and thought this would a good place to get some opinions:

: : How does an E30 M3 compare to a Porsche 968? I have never driven either, but from what I understand, both are very good-handling and balanced cars, both have high output four cylinder engines (with some engine vibration in every day driving, right?), and both are well-built, both require careful caring, so on paper, they seem like similar cars. Has anyone driven both, or does anyone know of a place on the net where I can find a comparison test? The Porsche is probably fatser 0-60, and some people have told me it handles better, but the BMW DOES have in incredible racing heritage behind it...

: : I have been tempted to buy both, although my love for BMW tells me to forget the Porsche.

: : Any insight would be appreciated.

: Go with your gut. Besides its racing heritage, the M3 is going to go up in value as they are starting to be a practical collectable. The 968 is the last version of a car that was never held dearly by the p-car faithful and is going to tumble in value as every other liquid cooled p-car.

I couldn't agree more with you Dave.

Seth Thomas

Yes | No

I used to have a 968 with the factory M030 (sport suspension) option. THis was a great car. I loved owning it and sometimes wish that I had it back. Now I have never owned an E30 M3 but I have driven and ridden in a few. Here is what I think about the two cars. Both are great and reliable cars. The Porsche is going to be faster all around than a stock M3. It has more displacement, more power, more torque, and a great 6-speed transmission. I am not sure about the brakes on the two cars but Porsche usually has a better reputation here. Mine had 928 S4 calipers and rotors all around so it stopped on a dime. With the M3, you will have a little bit more interior space and trunk space. Price of ownership might be lower with the M3 as the tires a smaller and the tranmission and drivetrain are easier to get to. The clutch in the 968 is going to cost you around $1000 just for parts. It will then be another $500 to $1000 for labor as it is mounted behind the diff.

Here is where you will just have to drive the cars and see which one you like the best. The 968 is great but might be more to maintain. The M3 is another great car but is not as fast as the 968. YOu just need to decide. I personally would not worry about the resale of the car. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. As long as you enjoy the car you will love buying. Just go out and drive them. Have fun and let us know which one you get.

Seth Thomas
    M3Power.com

: Here's a question I have wanted an answer to for a while, and thought this would a good place to get some opinions:

: How does an E30 M3 compare to a Porsche 968? I have never driven either, but from what I understand, both are very good-handling and balanced cars, both have high output four cylinder engines (with some engine vibration in every day driving, right?), and both are well-built, both require careful caring, so on paper, they seem like similar cars. Has anyone driven both, or does anyone know of a place on the net where I can find a comparison test? The Porsche is probably fatser 0-60, and some people have told me it handles better, but the BMW DOES have in incredible racing heritage behind it...

: I have been tempted to buy both, although my love for BMW tells me to forget the Porsche.

ksh

Yes | No

Stock, the 968 is faster by a bit in every way.
    The E30 M3 however, is lighter, more nimble, and has better aftermarket support.

Dollar for dollar, it's still the E30 M3 if you care to modify it.

Boxster Man

Yes | No

: : : Here's a question I have wanted an answer to for a while, and thought this would a good place to get some opinions:

: : : How does an E30 M3 compare to a Porsche 968? I have never driven either, but from what I understand, both are very good-handling and balanced cars, both have high output four cylinder engines (with some engine vibration in every day driving, right?), and both are well-built, both require careful caring, so on paper, they seem like similar cars. Has anyone driven both, or does anyone know of a place on the net where I can find a comparison test? The Porsche is probably fatser 0-60, and some people have told me it handles better, but the BMW DOES have in incredible racing heritage behind it...

: : : I have been tempted to buy both, although my love for BMW tells me to forget the Porsche.

: : : Any insight would be appreciated.

: : Go with your gut. Besides its racing heritage, the M3 is going to go up in value as they are starting to be a practical collectable. The 968 is the last version of a car that was never held dearly by the p-car faithful and is going to tumble in value as every other liquid cooled p-car.

: I couldn't agree more with you Dave.
    The M3's racing heritage huh, lol. Oh and porsche doesn't have one does it. 968 cabrio's are awesome. But I'd say forget the 968 or 944. Those are least of porsches. Check out a 911. You'll never turn back to an M3 again. That wail of the flat 6 is just beautiful. A 1980 porsche 911sc is a superior vehicle in my opinion. The engines can last 300k - 400k miles and I bet my money on the porsche in a race. Good luck....a BMW or a porsche, lol, thats a good one....

Unregistered

Yes | No
    I have owned 2 E30 M3s. They are great cars. Prices for good ones are way too high right now. $30k+ makes them prohibitive to purchase if your goal is to drive it like it was meant to be driven. I am about to purchase a clean 968 with the M030 suspension and brakes. It's less than half the price of a comparable E30 M3. I'm sure it will be more than half the fun.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 170.202.222.1

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information