+ Reply to Thread
    Phillip

Yes | No

How do you know if your water pump is going bad?

This has been a long battle. My car has been losing water real slow for the last two monthes. So far I have: Replaced temp sensors (blue one), and drained and flushed system putting all new fluids in and I replaced the res. cap. Then yesterday my coolant warning light came on so I pulled into a gas station and it was a little bit low. Till today there has not been evidence of water leakage under the car except for a few drips from overflow tube. Then today I looked under the car and there was a 10 to 12 inch puddle, also there was some antifreeze on alt. brackets. Until I saw this I was thinking that my head gasket was starting to go but mabye not. Any insight? TIA Phillip

CFL

Yes | No

Re: How do you know if your water pump is going ba

If your water pump was going I suspect you would see a rise in water temperature. The only thing I can think that will fail on it is the bearing, maybe the impeller but not likely. Believe me you don't want to run too long with a bad water pump, if you overheat, at best, it might take only your head gasket with it, you don't want to warp the head. A head is mega bucks.

It also could be the gasket on the water pump has failed and that's why it is leaking. Get this fixed ASAP.

Angus

Yes | No

the seal in the pump can go bad and the way to tell is have the system pressure tested with a car on a rack , there is a weep hole in the bottom of the pump(to let leaking coolant drain out of the bearing which is where it goes if the seal fails)and if the seal has failed you will see coolant running out this weep hole. if its leaking the bearing will fail shortly as there is no lube left in the bearing now!
    on the other had if the bearing has failed before the seal you will prolly hear it as it makes a hell of a racket and if you grab the cooling fan there will be excessive side to side play(fan may eventually hit the radiator/fan shroud if it get's really bad) . drive belt usually squeals as well

This has been a long battle. My car has been losing water real slow for the last two monthes. So far I have: Replaced temp sensors (blue one), and drained and flushed system putting all new fluids in and I replaced the res. cap. Then yesterday my coolant warning light came on so I pulled into a gas station and it was a little bit low. Till today there has not been evidence of water leakage under the car except for a few drips from overflow tube. Then today I looked under the car and there was a 10 to 12 inch puddle, also there was some antifreeze on alt. brackets. Until I saw this I was thinking that my head gasket was starting to go but mabye not. Any insight? TIA Phillip

Paul

Yes | No

Do you know when the water pump was last replaced?

If it is over 10 years old, then change it out anyway. It would be cheap insurance to preventing some really expensive repairs to your engine.

Now about the coolant leak. Have you replace the cap recently. Many people flush and change the coolant, but never change the cap. They wear out and rust out too. It might not be holding enough pressure allowing the coolant to escape. My car had that problem, plus the vent tubing from the radiator had dried up and cracked. I took off the fixed metal band clamp and replaced with a high quality German screw clamp. I was lucky because I thought the radiator was bad. Also, do you have an steaming on the windsheild inside the car or moisure on the driver's side floor or carpeting??

The heater core inlet/outlet tube flanges might be seeping coolant. Just tighten the nuts, and clamps up.

Finally, if you still can not find the leak get a cooling system pressure test done.

N.B. one way to test a water pump is to grab the pulley and move it in all axises. If there is play, the bearing are bad. If you see leaks or moisture in the weep hole or seepage around the shaft it is bad.

Good luck.

eric

Yes | No

have the unit replaced, then...

when your heater core blows up from the new pressure in the system, you know your old water pump was weak. oh and don't worry, since the mechanic that replaced the water pump didn't actually work on the heater core, it's not his fault for not doing a pressure check.

make sure this doesn't happen to you
    Eric
    88M3 (new heater core, carpet (pre heater core carpet was ruined) and waterpump) yeah I got raped by the mechanic, I'll admit it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information