+ Reply to Thread
    Jon

Yes | No

Hood hit wiper blade

Why does the hood hit the wiper blade. Looked at a '97 840CI for sale, 18k miles and it had slight damage to the top of the hood where it hit the wiper blades.

What is the fix, and can someone recommend a shop in the bay area to repair it, including paint?

Stan C.

Yes | No

Re: Hood hit wiper blade

Jon,

I'm not sure, but mine does the same. Very slight rub by driver's wiper on edge of hood. Not really noticable and may be due to slight mis-alignment or slight bend of the hood. I ignore it, but you'd probably want to correct the problem and use touch-up paint. Unless it's real bad, I wouldn't recommend having the hood painted. As far as local shops, where in the Bay Area are you located?

Stan C.
    '92 850iA
    Bay Area 8's

Steve Cohen

Yes | No

Later year..............

models had a wiper arm change that fixed this problem.

Do NOT try to bend the arm while it is on the car. Notice that the mechanism goes through the windshield. I know of one person who tried to bend the arm.... cracked the windshield. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BTW the corrected arms are not cheap! But what else is new?
    Steve Cohen

Why does the hood hit the wiper blade. Looked at a '97 840CI for sale, 18k miles and it had slight damage to the top of the hood where it hit the wiper blades.

What is the fix, and can someone recommend a shop in the bay area to repair it, including paint?

Marcus

Yes | No

Re: Later year..............

Steve,
    Thanks for the reply, but I thought '97n was the latest model year. Can you provide specifice on how to fix?

Thanks.

models had a wiper arm change that fixed this problem.

Do NOT try to bend the arm while it is on the car. Notice that the mechanism goes through the windshield. I know of one person who tried to bend the arm.... cracked the windshield. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BTW the corrected arms are not cheap! But what else is new?
    Steve Cohen

Marcus

Yes | No

Hi Stan,
    I'm in the Redwood City area.

Thanks.

Jon,

I'm not sure, but mine does the same. Very slight rub by driver's wiper on edge of hood. Not really noticable and may be due to slight mis-alignment or slight bend of the hood. I ignore it, but you'd probably want to correct the problem and use touch-up paint. Unless it's real bad, I wouldn't recommend having the hood painted. As far as local shops, where in the Bay Area are you located?

Stan C.
    '92 850iA
    Bay Area 8's

Marco

Yes | No

I owned a '92 525i which had to same problem (it doesn't have option where the wipers reside/sink below the hood though). I was told the bearings of the wiperarms were worn so that one of the wipers will touch the hood; their fix was to let the wiper stop somewhat higher at the windshield - some fix!

Maybe the same thing applies to the 8-series. So replacing might do the trick.

Marco

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information