+ Reply to Thread
    otis 88 735iL 130k

Yes | No

wierd hum/whine fixed! (long)

Thanks for everyone who replied to my questions about the strange hum I had from 40-70mph. It made a subtle hum/whine off or on the gas in or out of gear. I was convienced it was the center bearing going bad. I was planning a 650 mile trip and wanted it fixed before going. I decided it was a DIYer, but I did not leave enough time to order the center bearing and went to the dealer. Cost for mail order $36 and the cost at the stealer was $125. I was desperate and bought the dumb thing. Went home to drop the exhaust and fix it myself to find I still had the original system in place. There was no visible rust in the pipes, but the hangers were pretty rusted. I could not get the system off and decided it was a shop problem. I found a reputable driveshaft shop in town and brought it with bearing in hand. They said they would be about $150-$200 for the labor. It was painful, but I wanted it fixed. I did ask them to drive it before they fixed it to make sure we were on the same page. Wouldn't you know 1 hour later they called and said they thought the front tires were cupped. They put them on back and the sound followed. They then crossed them to opposite sides in hope that the sound would wear itself out of the tires. They charged me only the cost of the tire rotation. I then brought the center bearing back to the stealer and got my money back!!<p>One person did mention for me to look at that as the problem (sorry I don't remember who), but silly me ignored it because I thought I knew what was wrong.<p><br>I do have one question. What causes the front wheels to become cupped? I have checked the suspension and had an alignment done 5k ago. She drives straight without a shimmy. The tires are continental contactsports with 60% tread left. My upper control arm ball joints have small tears in the boots which I am waiting for them to go out, but otherwise solid up front. Any ideas? After the trip the tires had a very small hum/howl/whine which is getting slightly worse. Do I need to get new tires? What can I do to prevent this from happening again if I do buy new ones? Are the tires salvagable?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Otis 88 735il 130k<br>

Fareed

Yes | No

Re: Number

Otis<br> At the least you could mention the name and number of that shop, I am glad you found a honest shop.<br>Fareed

otis 88 735iL 130k

Yes | No

Re: Number

<i><br>Otis<br> At the least you could mention the name and number of that shop, I am glad you found a honest shop.<br>Fareed<p></i><br>It is Peterson's Driveshafts in Indianapolis, IN<br>

alex lynch

Yes | No

Re: Cupped Tires

I am embarrassed to admit that I did the same thing only I convinced myself that the noise was coming from the front wheel bearings. I replaced the front wheel bearings only to find out that the noise was still present. It was only when I rotated the front tires to the back that I noticed the noise moved to the back also. The diagnosis was the same - cupped tires.<p>If your tires still have significant tread left it is possible to have the tires "shaved" by a competent tire store which should remove the cupping. However, this depends on the depth of the cupping and the tire design. If the tire design has side sips (to remove water from the tire) then shaving the tire may compormise the water shedding ability of the tire. In my case, I just replaced the tires.<p>The cupping can be caused by worn thrust arm bushings or incorrect tire inflation. Assuming that the tires are correctly inflated, my guess is that the bushings are the problem. Although the toe-in, which controls the ability of the car to track properly in a straight line, may be set correctly worn bushings can cause changes to the camber and caster. Also, proper alignment of the E32 is a very precise and time-consuming task where the car has to be correctly weighted when the alignment is performed. Few alignment shops take the time and effort to do the job properly.<p>Regards<p>Alex<p><i><br>Thanks for everyone who replied to my questions about the strange hum I had from 40-70mph. It made a subtle hum/whine off or on the gas in or out of gear. I was convienced it was the center bearing going bad. I was planning a 650 mile trip and wanted it fixed before going. I decided it was a DIYer, but I did not leave enough time to order the center bearing and went to the dealer. Cost for mail order $36 and the cost at the stealer was $125. I was desperate and bought the dumb thing. Went home to drop the exhaust and fix it myself to find I still had the original system in place. There was no visible rust in the pipes, but the hangers were pretty rusted. I could not get the system off and decided it was a shop problem. I found a reputable driveshaft shop in town and brought it with bearing in hand. They said they would be about $150-$200 for the labor. It was painful, but I wanted it fixed. I did ask them to drive it before they fixed it to make sure we were on the same page. Wouldn't you know 1 hour later they called and said they thought the front tires were cupped. They put them on back and the sound followed. They then crossed them to opposite sides in hope that the sound would wear itself out of the tires. They charged me only the cost of the tire rotation. I then brought the center bearing back to the stealer and got my money back!!<p>One person did mention for me to look at that as the problem (sorry I don't remember who), but silly me ignored it because I thought I knew what was wrong.<p><br>I do have one question. What causes the front wheels to become cupped? I have checked the suspension and had an alignment done 5k ago. She drives straight without a shimmy. The tires are continental contactsports with 60% tread left. My upper control arm ball joints have small tears in the boots which I am waiting for them to go out, but otherwise solid up front. Any ideas? After the trip the tires had a very small hum/howl/whine which is getting slightly worse. Do I need to get new tires? What can I do to prevent this from happening again if I do buy new ones? Are the tires salvagable?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Otis 88 735il 130k<p></i><br>

Rick K

Yes | No

Re: Cupped tires

<i> Cupped tires could also be caused by the tread separating from the belts. When the tread pulls away from the belts it makes the tires wear unevenly forming cups. It just happened to a friend of mine ( he was running S or H rated tires at speeds of around 120 MPH ).<p>Rick K 1994 740i<p>Thanks for everyone who replied to my questions about the strange hum I had from 40-70mph. It made a subtle hum/whine off or on the gas in or out of gear. I was convienced it was the center bearing going bad. I was planning a 650 mile trip and wanted it fixed before going. I decided it was a DIYer, but I did not leave enough time to order the center bearing and went to the dealer. Cost for mail order $36 and the cost at the stealer was $125. I was desperate and bought the dumb thing. Went home to drop the exhaust and fix it myself to find I still had the original system in place. There was no visible rust in the pipes, but the hangers were pretty rusted. I could not get the system off and decided it was a shop problem. I found a reputable driveshaft shop in town and brought it with bearing in hand. They said they would be about $150-$200 for the labor. It was painful, but I wanted it fixed. I did ask them to drive it before they fixed it to make sure we were on the same page. Wouldn't you know 1 hour later they called and said they thought the front tires were cupped. They put them on back and the sound followed. They then crossed them to opposite sides in hope that the sound would wear itself out of the tires. They charged me only the cost of the tire rotation. I then brought the center bearing back to the stealer and got my money back!!<p>One person did mention for me to look at that as the problem (sorry I don't remember who), but silly me ignored it because I thought I knew what was wrong.<p><br>I do have one question. What causes the front wheels to become cupped? I have checked the suspension and had an alignment done 5k ago. She drives straight without a shimmy. The tires are continental contactsports with 60% tread left. My upper control arm ball joints have small tears in the boots which I am waiting for them to go out, but otherwise solid up front. Any ideas? After the trip the tires had a very small hum/howl/whine which is getting slightly worse. Do I need to get new tires? What can I do to prevent this from happening again if I do buy new ones? Are the tires salvagable?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Otis 88 735il 130k<p></i><br>

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information