+ Reply to Thread
    Shaun Kelly

Yes | No

Symptoms of bad thrust arm bushings in 525ia.

If anyone could tell me, what would be the symptoms/indications that the thrust arm bushing on my 94' 525ia w/46,000mi. are bad/failed? Was told by my dealer about 1yr. ago that the bushing needed replacing soon. Then during the next oil change, I had them check them again and they said everything was fine. So now I don't know what to think. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Shaun.
    94' 525ia 46,000mi.

ron

Yes | No

Re: Symptoms of bad thrust arm bushings in 525ia.

: If anyone could tell me, what would be the symptoms/indications that the thrust arm bushing on my 94' 525ia w/46,000mi. are bad/failed? Was told by my dealer about 1yr. ago that the bushing needed replacing soon. Then during the next oil change, I had them check them again and they said everything was fine. So now I don't know what to think. Any help would be great.

: Thanks,

: Shaun.
    : 94' 525ia 46,000mi.

Shaun,
    I've got over 100k on my original bushings without problems....it really depends alot on the climate. I've seen them need replacement after only a few years, or like mine, "seem to be fine" in non-salt climates for nearly the life of the car. You can check them visually for cracks, but your mileage seems low for replacing them. They get blamed for problems in alignment and wheel balance, and unfortunately are an easy way for a dealer to make some money. As far as symptoms, If you have the famous "5 shimmy", FIRST check that all 4 wheels are aligned and balanced properly, then look at the bushings as the possible cause. No symptoms? Just DRIVE IT!

ron
    89 525ia

WillO

Yes | No

7 series more better?

: If anyone could tell me, what would be the symptoms/indications that the thrust arm bushing on my 94' 525ia w/46,000mi. are bad/failed? Was told by my dealer about 1yr. ago that the bushing needed replacing soon. Then during the next oil change, I had them check them again and they said everything was fine. So now I don't know what to think. Any help would be great.

: Thanks,

: Shaun.
    : 94' 525ia 46,000mi.

Brake the car moderately from 65 to stop. While braking modulate the pressure feeling for a shimmy. Do this again while turning left and again while turning right. Got a shimmy? Lower control arm bushings might be bad. Some quarters call this arm a thrust arm. The way to verify bad bushings is to remove wheel and push or pry the arm in different directions and look for excessive play at the bushings.
    I here tell that the 7 series bushings fit and are more better.

Hang Ten,
    will

Kiani

Yes | No

Re: Symptoms of bad thrust arm bushings in 525ia.

: : If anyone could tell me, what would be the symptoms/indications that the thrust arm bushing on my 94' 525ia w/46,000mi. are bad/failed? Was told by my dealer about 1yr. ago that the bushing needed replacing soon. Then during the next oil change, I had them check them again and they said everything was fine. So now I don't know what to think. Any help would be great.

: : Thanks,

: : Shaun.
    : : 94' 525ia 46,000mi.

: Shaun,
    : I've got over 100k on my original bushings without problems....it really depends alot on the climate. I've seen them need replacement after only a few years, or like mine, "seem to be fine" in non-salt climates for nearly the life of the car. You can check them visually for cracks, but your mileage seems low for replacing them. They get blamed for problems in alignment and wheel balance, and unfortunately are an easy way for a dealer to make some money. As far as symptoms, If you have the famous "5 shimmy", FIRST check that all 4 wheels are aligned and balanced properly, then look at the bushings as the possible cause. No symptoms? Just DRIVE IT!

: ron
    : 89 525ia

When did you last replace your shocks? The upper strut bearing supprot could cause some shaking to according to the so call experts I have talked to in my efforts to deal with 5-shimmy.

Good luck,

Ps. I'll be posting some of questions and discoveries this subject in the coming weeks!

Kiani

Yes | No

You can tell I wrote this note at 1:00 AM

Lets try this again!
    : When did you last replace your shocks? The upper strut bearing support could cause some shaking. This is according to the so called experts I have talked to in my efforts to deal with my 5-shimmy.

: Good luck,

: Ps. I'll be posting some of my questions and discoveries on this subject in the coming weeks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information