+ Reply to Thread
    brett

Yes | No

outer tire wear?

my 95 530 with 46K miles is wearing the outside edges of both front tires. I just had them rotated yesterday and am curious if this type of wear is normal.

Patrick

Yes | No

Re: outer tire wear?

I can't speak for a 95 but my 89 535i wears the outsides of the fronts and the insides of the rears.

This is what it's suppose to do, and the owners manual states this along with notes in 3 places that say "do not rotate tires" because this wear pattern can be dangerous to handling when rotated.

I just leave them for their life and use about two sets up front for each set in the rear.

: my 95 530 with 46K miles is wearing the outside edges of both front tires. I just had them rotated yesterday and am curious if this type of wear is normal.

Jim Ross

Yes | No

I do the same on my '95. I learned the hard way when I rotated the first set of tires and ruined them (premature shimmy or belt separation balance problem eventually developed). I was amazed to actually read in the owners manual that they do not want you to rotate tires. Now we know why. Jim

: I can't speak for a 95 but my 89 535i wears the outsides of the fronts and the insides of the rears.

: This is what it's suppose to do, and the owners manual states this along with notes in 3 places that say "do not rotate tires" because this wear pattern can be dangerous to handling when rotated.

: I just leave them for their life and use about two sets up front for each set in the rear.

: : my 95 530 with 46K miles is wearing the outside edges of both front tires. I just had them rotated yesterday and am curious if this type of wear is normal.

Hendrik

Yes | No

: my 95 530 with 46K miles is wearing the outside edges of both front tires. I just had them rotated yesterday and am curious if this type of wear is normal.

I have experienced this on all my vehicles and the best thing to do is over-inflate the tires by 5lbs., at least.

pa

Yes | No

Re:tire wear?

A slight feathering at the outside edge (front) over many thousands of miles seems to be normal. If it occurs over a few hundred miles, you have incorrect toe-in or worn front end bushings.

My 530 doesn't show any visible edge wear at the rear, but again incorrect alignment will damage the tires rapidly. The rear toe-in is not factory adjustable.

If you're getting a reasonable mileage out of the tires don't sweat slightly uneven wear and don't rotate 'em, like the manual says. The E34 steering seems to be very sensitive to front tire wear patterns. If you're uncertain, get a 4-wheel alignment from a reputable dealer.

Over-inflation just to avoid natural tire wear is not a solution I would endorse.

-paul
    '95 530i 42k

:

brett

Yes | No

I have put approx. 7K miles on the car since I bought it and the outer edges appear to wearing fairly quickly on both sides. I plan on upgrading to 18" wheels when the current tires wear out completely. Is is that bad to rotate the tires in order to maximize tire life if I plan on changing wheels and tires in the future? Thanks

pa

Yes | No

Brett,
    That does seem a little weird, assuming your inflation pressure is correct. Perhaps an alignment would be a good thing to get done now before you put some really expensive tires on it.
    I can't say I have direct experience from rotating the tires on a bimmer, but if they're on the way out anyway it can't hurt to try.

-paul

Jim Ross

Yes | No

: My tires began to show the feathering outer edge wear at about 20k miles. Then very rapidly the edges really wore down (in about 7k miles). That is when I decided to rotate the tires to extend their life. At about 30k miles the shimmy started so I rotated them back. Then the car developed a slight thumping similar to a belt separation. I even intalled the shimmying (sp) and thumping tires on my other e34 to test the control arm issues. The test proved the behavior was related to the tires. I bought new tires at 35k miles. The car continues to drive well. I do mess around with inflation pressures thinking I might extend service life. Both cars tend to show outer edge wear after 20k miles and then the tires go off rapidly after that. I am beginning to think the rear tires may last 2 times longer than the front tires. Jim

: I have put approx. 7K miles on the car since I bought it and the outer edges appear to wearing fairly quickly on both sides. I plan on upgrading to 18" wheels when the current tires wear out completely. Is is that bad to rotate the tires in order to maximize tire life if I plan on changing wheels and tires in the future? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information