+ Reply to Thread
    Brett

Yes | No

Worn control arm bushing symptoms?????

Does anyone know the symptoms of an E34 (preferably 95 530i) when the control arm bushings go bad? Just curious what to look for or notice when they start to fail. Thanks in advance

Brett

Ed

Yes | No

Re: Worn control arm bushing symptoms?????

Typical symptoms include a clunking noise from the front suspension as you go over bumps and shaking of the steering wheel while braking at speed around 50 - 60 mph (feels like a warped rotor).

Brett

Yes | No

How about the steering wheel "shimmying" on rough road or bumps? Could this be related to control arm bushings? FYI - When braking, the steering wheel is smooth.

Michael H.

Yes | No

: Also check the tie rod ends. easy and inexpensive to replace. To check lift both wheels off the ground, turn the wheel slightly so you can observe the tie rod end, grab the wheel in both hands at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and move the wheel. If the joint feels loose or moves around, replace them both and have the car re-alligned.
    Check your Bentley for more complete procedure.

Good Luck
    Michael 89 525ia

Ed

Yes | No

Shimmying could be either tie rod ends or ball joints (the other end of the control arm).
    I recently replaced my control arms on my 89 535i, it was the ball joints that were worn out and not the bushings, (although bushings were just starting to crack).

Brett

Yes | No

My 95 530i with 52K miles has been giving a little shimmy on the steering wheel when driving over rough road or bumps. The dealer attempted to fix a power steering problem in December and replaced the power steering gear box, pump and pulley's. I am curious if they didn't tweak something that is now causing the steering wheel to shimmy in situations it did not before they worked on the power steering problem?????

Eric

Yes | No

: Shimmying could be either tie rod ends or ball joints (the other end of the control arm).
    :

I disagree. I just replaced the thrust arm bushings on my M5 with the 7 series units because of the famous front end shimmy. Their replacement corrected the problem, the old ball joints are still good. An inspection of the bushings is pretty easy once under the car. The thrust arm is the one between the strut bottom and the chassis. The thrust arm is made of steel and the control arm is aluminum. Once you spot it, look at the larg rubber bushing. The tend to crack and separate around the edges. Clunks during turning was also present prior to the replacement. My $0.02

E.

Ed

Yes | No

When you say "shimmy" do you mean that the steering wheel is shaking back in forth in your hand as you go over bumps? If so, I'd tend to think it was suspension related.

There is an adjustment screw on the steering box that can be adjusted to tighten up loose steering. But if it is new, it shouldn't be a problem.

Brett

Yes | No

yes, it does tend to shimmy over bumps or rough roads, but when the dealer was trying to fix a power steering problem, they put in a new power steering gear box, pump, and pulley's, BUT took all the parts back out because they did not fix the problem and BMW will not allow the dealer to replace parts without fixing the intended problem. I am wondering if they left something loose or caused something to go bad within the suspension that is causing this slight shimmy. But I am not sure, simply trying to do a little research.

Bert

Yes | No

what kind of wheel/tire setup? (more)

if you have gone with a performance setup like 17's--any weak links
    in the suspension are put under a great deal more stress and the
    wear is accelerated...wider tires can also contribute to the tramlining
    effect...

Bert
    '90 535i 5-speed sharked
    euro delivery/us spec
    42k miles

Michael Ein

Yes | No

Steering wheel shimmy @ 60 MPH

If your steering wheel starts shimmying at 60 MPH you can blame the control (thrust) arm bushings.

Michael Ein
    '92 525iA

Unregistered

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Does anyone know the symptoms of an E34 (preferably 95 530i) when the control arm bushings go bad? Just curious what to look for or notice when they start to fail. Thanks in advance

Brett

you will notice wheel shake around 65mph while turning, and also braking... now while braking you can stop that by normally replacing rotors pads and calipers, decent fix pretty easy but if you want to fix it from shaking while turning at or over 65mph it will be the control arms and the bushings... looking at about a 100 dollar fix per front tire... replace both at once.. you want them to be both new or you will have the problem of the new one being sturdy and the worn one will go out faster because it wont hold up as well... good luck hope all goes well...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.61.50.68

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information