+ Reply to Thread
    Jim

Yes | No

Seiko-Seiki AC compressor

Fellow bimmerheads,
    I am looking for a supplier (no BMW dealers please)of new Seiko Seiki R12 AC compressors.
    I have two '90 E34 535i and both have the same type compressors.The factory BMW roundel labels show a part number 64528350060.Any information is appreciated.

Information or experiences with rebuilding the Seiko Seiki compressors is welcome. Although at the cost of R12 today I am hestitant to consider any rebuilts.
    Any experiences with Sanden compressors is also appreciated. My current knowledge is that Sandens are good units when new and have a reputation for lasting a good many years if the remaining system is in good shape, but seldom rebuild well enough to hold out for long periods of time. I'm told the Sanden is relatively cheaper than the Seiko Seiki.
    I tried a rebuilt Toyota Sanden once on my mothers Toyota Supra some years ago and it crapped out in six months. Over the years I have also tried several various models like York and Harris rebuilt compressors in other autos with no luck in them lasting more than a year.
    Given these experiences and the current cost of R12 I have a skeptical and bad opinion of rebuilt compressors.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    jblj@gte.net

Robert B.

Yes | No

Re: Seiko-Seiki AC compressor

My original Seiko Seiki just went out and I found a company in town (Houston) that offers rebuilt ones for $315 + $85 core charge. Since the dealer wanted $825 (rebuilt!), I said what the hell.

The unit looks good and is fitted with R134a compatible seals. (I convirted over two years ago when the evaporator sprung a leak). It is quiet and does a good job. I did have to splice on the factory connector. It has a one year warranty.

Robert
    '90 535i

MichaelH

Yes | No

Re: Seiko-Seiki AC compressor

I had no luck finding a rebuilt compresor. Did locate a company in TX that would rebuild for around 350.00. Finally went the salvage route. Purchased an almost new R134a Seiko Seiki compressor including shipping from Vines automotive. Installed it myself and had a friend evacuate it for two hours, then serviced it myself with one of the conversion kits. You can hang meat in the cabin now. It has never worked so well.

Michael
    89 525ia 175,000

MichaelH

Yes | No

Re: Seiko-Seiki AC compressor: Repost

I had no luck finding a rebuilt compresor. Did locate a company in TX that would rebuild for around 350.00. Finally went the salvage route. Purchased an almost new R134a Seiko Seiki compressor for 210.00 including shipping from Vines automotive. Installed it myself and had a friend evacuate it for two hours, then serviced it myself with one of the conversion kits. You can hang meat in the cabin now. It has never worked so well. Has been in for 5 months.

Michael
    89 525ia 175,000

ljohnroberts

Yes | No

Seiko-Seiki compressor

I am converting my AC on my 1991 535i to R134. I am draining the compressor to replace the oil with PAG oil. It looks like there is about 3oz drained so I am guessing it is about 4oz to refill. Does any one know if this is correct?

thanks, Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.55.185.32

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information