+ Reply to Thread
    IH

Yes | No

Bad wheel bearing symptoms?? (long)

Hi!

Can anybody tell what could be the symptoms of bad wheel bearings, especially rear ones? Does a bad bearing affect drivability in any way?

I'm driving an '88 530i (e34, M30 engine). The car has lowered suspension, i.e. factory sport springs (M-Tech??)+ bilstein sports. I'm experiencing some looseness in the rear end of the car. On smooth surfaces the car drives fine. On bouncier ones, a little effort and attention must be applied to keep the car on a straight line.

I don't think it's related to the suspension or wheel balancing. I've recently changed almost everything underneath, incl. rear & front shocks and springs, rear & front sway-bar links, rear "dog-bone" links, subframe bushings, upper & lower control arms & bushings, tie-rod ends, brake rotors and pads all around etc. Also the wheels have just been straightened and balanced. Put brand new 225/55/16 Dunlop SP 2000 E's on.

IH
    '88 530i (e34, M30 engine)

Sjef

Yes | No

Re: Bad wheel bearing symptoms?? (long)

Hi,IH!

I recently had my rear wheel bearing replaced by a very incompetent stealer. My symptom was a howling sound from the rear @ 55...60mph but I did not experience any looseness. Driveability might be affected when the bad bearing finally seizes (blocking wheel?!) so I wouldn't drive for too long if your bearing really turns out to be bad.

Byt he way: are your rear shocks and springs really really okay? I would expect looseness if either of them were loose or wronly installed. Have a good mechanic check before you start replacing parts.

Kind regards from Sjef
    1990 520iM/M50 64,000mls
    Netherlands

MicahO

Yes | No

Bearing noises

Bearing noises are probably going to be a whine or a howl that increases in pitch as you increase speed. Really bad bearing noises would be amore of a grind you would hear and feel, especially when turning and applying lateral stresses to the bearing.

If you are getting a lot of rear end hop or instability, you may want to look into the rear subframe bushings - Jeff Nord just swapped his and reports a much more stable and tractable rear end....

I think Bruno was putting this up on his site - I didn't save the link to the forum post, but I have all of the instructions and pictures in formatted HTML I could make available if needed.

Micah

Hi!

Can anybody tell what could be the symptoms of bad wheel bearings, especially rear ones? Does a bad bearing affect drivability in any way?

I'm driving an '88 530i (e34, M30 engine). The car has lowered suspension, i.e. factory sport springs (M-Tech??)+ bilstein sports. I'm experiencing some looseness in the rear end of the car. On smooth surfaces the car drives fine. On bouncier ones, a little effort and attention must be applied to keep the car on a straight line.

I don't think it's related to the suspension or wheel balancing. I've recently changed almost everything underneath, incl. rear & front shocks and springs, rear & front sway-bar links, rear "dog-bone" links, subframe bushings, upper & lower control arms & bushings, tie-rod ends, brake rotors and pads all around etc. Also the wheels have just been straightened and balanced. Put brand new 225/55/16 Dunlop SP 2000 E's on.

IH
    '88 530i (e34, M30 engine)

Bruno

Yes | No

here is the Subframe link:

Jo

Yes | No

Bad wheel bearings squeal...more

...you mentioned lowering your car. Did you have the bump stops on the rear trimmed? If your car is bottoming out it would cause the tires to bounce and hop around as you describe. It seems from your description that you have changed all your bushings including the ones on the rear subframe, so that can be ruled out. Your alignment is good and all that just about the only other thing that comes to mind is your tire pressures. What pressures are you running front to rear. I run 33pounds-fr 36pounds-rr on 235/45R17-fr and 255/40R17-rr. I have H&R springs with bilstien sport shocks and a strut tie bar in front. The road feel is so good that I could feel a difference of 2 pounds of pressure in the rear as happened recently. I could feel the sidewalls flex as I slid around turns and the whole rear end felt lazy. So you see a little difference makes a big effect on handling.

Good luck hope this helps.

93 535iM

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information