+ Reply to Thread
    greg l

Yes | No

BMW M Parallel spoke wheels 18 in for M5

Has anyone heard of any problems with these wheels cracking and does anyone know how much these wheels cost please

GeorgeK

Yes | No

Re: BMW M Parallel spoke wheels 18 in for M5

Greg,<br>The 18 inch parallel spoke rim on the M5 (and 7 series and 8 series) as well as the 17 inch model (throwing star or turbine) is a forged rim made by Fuchs in Germany. The factory specializes in alloy processing, including wheel forging for cars. You can recognize their trademark: a stylised fox head, which is always somewhere on the rim.<br>They are the builders of the famous Fuchs rim on the 911 up to the year 89.<br>Being forged, these rims are hugely strong AND among the lightest you can have.<br>But there is sometimes a defect in the structure of the forged alloy, leading to a crack.<br>The consensus (at least among Porsche racers) is that a cracked rim becomes a very nice and expensive garden hose holder. No matter how you try and repair them, it is asking for disaster. Every repair method alters the molecular arrangment of the alloy, weakening it.<br>So far I've only heard of cracked M5 fuchs rims, never seen any. I've seen much more cracked Porsche Fuchs, but I've also seen much more of these rims...<br>Now the price for the double spoke here in Switzerland is between 850 and 900 Sfr, depending on the width and finish (around 550 US$).<br>Hope this helps. PS I'm not an expert in alloys. This is information I've gathered restoring my Porsches, and hanging on the forums.<br>Regards, George<br><i>: Has anyone heard of any problems with these wheels cracking and does anyone know how much these wheels cost please<p></i>

Greg l

Yes | No

Thanks for your reply,<br>How do these alloys compare with Racing Dynamics wheels as far as cost and longevity is concerned

Z93M5

Yes | No

<i>: Has anyone heard of any problems with these wheels cracking and does anyone know how much these wheels cost please<p></i>I have these wheels on my 93 M5. I have purchase them from a BMW dealer, here in Canada, when they were on 10% sale. The 4 wheels costed around CAD $4,000, without tires. The front ones are 8" while the rear ones are 9". They are light and very nice on the car. Check my car's ad on this board dated April 11, 2000. Good luck.

GeorgeK

Yes | No

longevity

As for longevity, I don't think it is an issue with the fatigue life, if kept clean and away from curbs and potholes. The cast rim will be much heavier.<br>The forged rim has one advantage in that it can be anodised, rendering it impervious to whatever you can throw at them (except deep scratches, as with tire levers and...curbs). I also feel that anodised are easier to keep clean.<br>To anodise the forged rim, you have to take the paint off, then get them polished somewhat. No need for a perfect shine, as the process acts as a "buffer", rendering the surface kind of milky. IMHO, the anodised finish is the best you can get. Ithink the 7 series model is anodised already, not sure...<br>Regards, George<br><<br>i>: Thanks for your reply,<br>: How do these alloys compare with Racing Dynamics wheels as far as cost and longevity is concerned<p></i>

Kurt Beitler

Yes | No

7 & 8 series wheels are actuall different size:

It is my understanding that the M Parallel spoke wheels fitted to the 7 & 8 series cars are 8" in the front and 9 1/2" in the rear. The M5 wheels are 1/2" narrow in the rear, at 9", but still 8" in the front. <p>While these wheels will fit an E34 M5, the spacing is actually not the same. The M5's spacing is 20 mm in the front, while the 7 & 8 series are 13 mm (the fronts will have a wider track.) The 1/2" wider rear wheels fit fine so long as tires are no wider than 265 mm. Also note that there is a rather wide variance between ACTUAL tire dimensions, regardless of what is written on the sidewall...<p>Enjoying the forum,<br>Kurt <p><p><i>: Greg,<br>: The 18 inch parallel spoke rim on the M5 (and 7 series and 8 series) as well as the 17 inch model (throwing star or turbine) is a forged rim made by Fuchs in Germany. The factory specializes in alloy processing, including wheel forging for cars. You can recognize their trademark: a stylised fox head, which is always somewhere on the rim.<br>: They are the builders of the famous Fuchs rim on the 911 up to the year 89.<br>: Being forged, these rims are hugely strong AND among the lightest you can have.<br>: But there is sometimes a defect in the structure of the forged alloy, leading to a crack.<br>: The consensus (at least among Porsche racers) is that a cracked rim becomes a very nice and expensive garden hose holder. No matter how you try and repair them, it is asking for disaster. Every repair method alters the molecular arrangment of the alloy, weakening it.<br>: So far I've only heard of cracked M5 fuchs rims, never seen any. I've seen much more cracked Porsche Fuchs, but I've also seen much more of these rims...<br>: Now the price for the double spoke here in Switzerland is between 850 and 900 Sfr, depending on the width and finish (around 550 US$).<br>: Hope this helps. PS I'm not an expert in alloys. This is information I've gathered restoring my Porsches, and hanging on the forums.<br>: Regards, George<br>: : Has anyone heard of any problems with these wheels cracking and does anyone know how much these wheels cost please<p></i>

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information