+ Reply to Thread
    Duke

Yes | No

RADIO HELP! Need diagram for 93 CM5903L

ChipB

Yes | No

See this website (more)

This may not be exactly what you want, but it'll be close: go to the following website to see a wiring diagram for the '93 3-series: see http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/e36/stereo/e36_200w_stereo_pinouts.gif. It seems to have only 16 pins on the radio connector, not 18, but it might help you figure things out.

You have quite a project on your hands. Once you figure these leads out, you'll of course need to add an amplifier to your system, since I believe that back in '84 the 5-series radio was an all-in-one affair with a builtin amplifier. For example, my '86 528e had a stereo radio wired through an external fader control to four speakers. You will need to re-do all the speaker wiring as well, since after you install the amp you won't be using the fader anymore. Good luck.

I have just bought a CM5903L radio out of a 93 318is. I am putting it in my 84 520i and do not have a clue how to hook it up. Can anyone help me identify what each of the 18 pins on the back should be connected to.
    I have included a picture of the face to help.

Thanks,
    Duke
    84 520i

Duke

Yes | No

Thanks Chip- anorther question

you are correct I do only have 16 pins on the back. The diagram is perfect. Can I run this thing without an amp?? Any idea where I can just get the plug connector with wires for this radio. Also the smaller connection on the back of the radio which has very small pins in two rows of 5, is that for the amp??? My car does not have any amp in it.
    Thanks,
    Duke

ChipB

Yes | No

Some answers (guesses, actually)

You can call crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) to see if they have a connector. They might. I don't know if the head unit will work without an amp - it does have high-level outputs, but I doubt it would have enough power by itself to do much. That's why I suggested that you have a bit of a project on your hands. :) As for the other connections - I don't know - perhaps they have something to do with the antenna amplifier control? Bottom line is - if you want a new radio/CD that could just drop in place of the stock radio/cassette without all these problems, I would suggest the Blaupunkt Toronto - it looks very close to stock. Crutchfield may still have them. I bought a Sony radio/CD from them for my 528e a couple of years ago, and it went in pretty easily (although I did have to rewire the speakers to bypass the stock fader). Details on my web site at http://ebaines.home.att.net/e28_stereo_upgrade.htm Good luck.

you are correct I do only have 16 pins on the back. The diagram is perfect. Can I run this thing without an amp?? Any idea where I can just get the plug connector with wires for this radio. Also the smaller connection on the back of the radio which has very small pins in two rows of 5, is that for the amp??? My car does not have any amp in it.
    Thanks,
    Duke

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information