+ Reply to Thread
    RRL

Yes | No

E36 hardtop installation instructions?

I'm heading from Detroit, Michigan, to Chicago, Illinois tomorrow to check out the Windy City BMW CCA Swap Meet as well as the Chicago Air & Watershow. Part of the deal is that I will be meeting someone to purchase their hardtop off of them. I just want to make sure before heading out, the hardtop installation kit is only for the electronics (lights, defog) right? I mean this transaction is going to be as simple as me handing over the money and popping the HT off his car and putting it on mine? I can then install the kit at a later date. Is that assumption correct or am I going to be screwed when we get together to complete the deal?

Thanks!

cherry

Yes | No

Re: E36 hardtop installation instructions?

I'm heading from Detroit, Michigan, to Chicago, Illinois tomorrow to check out the Windy City BMW CCA Swap Meet as well as the Chicago Air & Watershow. Part of the deal is that I will be meeting someone to purchase their hardtop off of them. I just want to make sure before heading out, the hardtop installation kit is only for the electronics (lights, defog) right? I mean this transaction is going to be as simple as me handing over the money and popping the HT off his car and putting it on mine? I can then install the kit at a later date. Is that assumption correct or am I going to be screwed when we get together to complete the deal?

Thanks!

It not that easy but not that difficult either. The installation kit also contains the bracket necessary for the top to stay on the car. I just installed this kit on my car this week. Do you have the installation kit? Will you be using the kit that this guy has on his car. To properly install the complete kit you have to remove the seat back and the side panels in the rear. The reason I mention that is if you are taking this guys kit is it already removed from his car? Now just to put the hardtop on the car you don't have to go through all that. You just have to install the bracket with two screws and clip on the wire harness to the bracket. You can setup the wire harness later. Warning!! It is important to clip on the wire harness because that gives the top the proper clearance on the car. You don't want to damage your paint. The kit is available at your dealer.

Hope this help

RRL

Yes | No

Thanks Cherry. Looks like I got problems.

I don't have the kit, but was planning on ordering later. I thought it was just the wiring harness for the electronics. Also, turns out my dealer doesn't have it in stock either.

In a panic, I contacted the seller. IF he is able to take his the parts out of his car, what do you suggest he remove? Also, since I'll be coming from out-of-town, what tools will I need to bring with me just in case I have to install this myself?

Thanks again!

Thanks!

It not that easy but not that difficult either. The installation kit also contains the bracket necessary for the top to stay on the car. I just installed this kit on my car this week. Do you have the installation kit? Will you be using the kit that this guy has on his car. To properly install the complete kit you have to remove the seat back and the side panels in the rear. The reason I mention that is if you are taking this guys kit is it already removed from his car? Now just to put the hardtop on the car you don't have to go through all that. You just have to install the bracket with two screws and clip on the wire harness to the bracket. You can setup the wire harness later. Warning!! It is important to clip on the wire harness because that gives the top the proper clearance on the car. You don't want to damage your paint. The kit is available at your dealer.

Hope this help

cherry

Yes | No

Re: Thanks Cherry. Looks like I got problems.

I don't have the kit, but was planning on ordering later. I thought it was just the wiring harness for the electronics. Also, turns out my dealer doesn't have it in stock either.

In a panic, I contacted the seller. IF he is able to take his the parts out of his car, what do you suggest he remove? Also, since I'll be coming from out-of-town, what tools will I need to bring with me just in case I have to install this myself?

Thanks again!

Thanks!

Hope this help

If he is willing to give you his to make it simple he just has to cut the wires and remove the two screws that hold the bracket in place. This is the easy way. Since he is selling you his he must not be planning on using the wire harness again anyway. The wires also look like they can be disconnected. Not sure I didn't try to hard to do this just in case but hey give that a try. The only other thing is to see if a dealer near the seller or on the way has the kit and pick it up when you arrive or ask him to pick it up. You can usually pay over the phone so it's no cost to the seller.

The only tool is a phillips screwdriver to put on the bracket.

RRL

Yes | No

Will I have to remove the seat backs or the back panels for the brackets or is that just to get the wiring installed?

Thanks again!

Thanks!

Hope this help

If he is willing to give you his to make it simple he just has to cut the wires and remove the two screws that hold the bracket in place. This is the easy way. Since he is selling you his he must not be planning on using the wire harness again anyway. The wires also look like they can be disconnected. Not sure I didn't try to hard to do this just in case but hey give that a try. The only other thing is to see if a dealer near the seller or on the way has the kit and pick it up when you arrive or ask him to pick it up. You can usually pay over the phone so it's no cost to the seller.

cherry

Yes | No

Will I have to remove the seat backs or the back panels for the brackets or is that just to get the wiring installed?

Thanks again!

Thanks!

Hope this help

just to get wiring installed

Joebimmer

Yes | No

Re: E36 hardtop installation instructions?

You'll need a 10 mm socket or wrench to bolt the metal camlock attachments to your top frame.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information