+ Reply to Thread
    Brian328Ci

Yes | No

BMW Alarm Sensitivity Adjustment?

I installed a BMW Factory alarm from PacficBMW myself and had my local dealer initialize it about 2 weeks ago.

However, to date, I can't make my bump sensor go off. Rocking the car doesn't do it - knocking on the frame doesn't do it - nothing. In addition, my motion sensor inside is incredibly NONsensitive. I have to wave my hand directly over the grill in the headliner to get it to go off. Putting my hands in with the windows rolled down (after the 45 second wait period) doesn't set it off.

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the alarm? I followed the directions very closely and plugged everything in according to plan AFAIK.

Also, how do the keys function with the alarm enabled? Shouldn't I be able to set off the alarm in panic mode with my key?

It also seems as tho my double-press to close no longer rolls up the windows (it never closed the sunroof either, which has annoyed me).

What is going on?!

brian

TimF

Yes | No

Your remote rolls up the the windows?

: I installed a BMW Factory alarm from PacficBMW myself and had my local dealer initialize it about 2 weeks ago.

: However, to date, I can't make my bump sensor go off. Rocking the car doesn't do it - knocking on the frame doesn't do it - nothing. In addition, my motion sensor inside is incredibly NONsensitive. I have to wave my hand directly over the grill in the headliner to get it to go off. Putting my hands in with the windows rolled down (after the 45 second wait period) doesn't set it off.

: Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the alarm? I followed the directions very closely and plugged everything in according to plan AFAIK.

: Also, how do the keys function with the alarm enabled? Shouldn't I be able to set off the alarm in panic mode with my key?

: It also seems as tho my double-press to close no longer rolls up the windows (it never closed the sunroof either, which has annoyed me).

: What is going on?!

: brian

Brian328Ci

Yes | No

Re: Your remote rolls up the the windows? (more)

Of course, if you lock it, and press the button a second time and hold it down, it'll close all of the windows (except the sunroof, which irks me)

Just like if you hold it down a second time when unlocking it'll roll down all of the windows and open the sunroof.

*shrug* read the owners manual? :)

Chris

Yes | No

What page in the owners manual! (NT)

:
    : Of course, if you lock it, and press the button a second time and hold it down, it'll close all of the windows (except the sunroof, which irks me)

: Just like if you hold it down a second time when unlocking it'll roll down all of the windows and open the sunroof.

: *shrug* read the owners manual? :)

TimF

Yes | No

Read manual cover to cover, did not notice that

:
    : Of course, if you lock it, and press the button a second time and hold it down, it'll close all of the windows (except the sunroof, which irks me)

: Just like if you hold it down a second time when unlocking it'll roll down all of the windows and open the sunroof.

Jim Drivas

Yes | No

Rolling Up windows

: I installed a BMW Factory alarm from PacficBMW myself and had my local dealer initialize it about 2 weeks ago.

: However, to date, I can't make my bump sensor go off. Rocking the car doesn't do it - knocking on the frame doesn't do it - nothing. In addition, my motion sensor inside is incredibly NONsensitive. I have to wave my hand directly over the grill in the headliner to get it to go off. Putting my hands in with the windows rolled down (after the 45 second wait period) doesn't set it off.

: Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the alarm? I followed the directions very closely and plugged everything in according to plan AFAIK.

: Also, how do the keys function with the alarm enabled? Shouldn't I be able to set off the alarm in panic mode with my key?

: It also seems as tho my double-press to close no longer rolls up the windows (it never closed the sunroof either, which has annoyed me).

On the US models, the remote only rolls down the windows and opens the sunroof. If you want to close everything, including the sunroof, you must use the key in the driver's door and hold the key after turning it to the right. The remote will not work for closing, as it is a safety reason, because your kid may be hanging his head out the window when you are raising the windows.

Dave Bagby

Yes | No

My 328i (post 9/99) doesn't do that.

I just went to the garage and tried it - no luck. The reverse is true - unlocking and holding down the unlock button lowers the windows and opens the sunroof per manual. But for locking, all a 2nd (and subsequent) unlock button press (and hold) does is toggle the interior lights on/off. The only way I know to get the windows all up is to put the key in the door and hold it in the lock position - this also closes the sunroof.

: : I installed a BMW Factory alarm from PacficBMW myself and had my local dealer initialize it about 2 weeks ago.

: : However, to date, I can't make my bump sensor go off. Rocking the car doesn't do it - knocking on the frame doesn't do it - nothing. In addition, my motion sensor inside is incredibly NONsensitive. I have to wave my hand directly over the grill in the headliner to get it to go off. Putting my hands in with the windows rolled down (after the 45 second wait period) doesn't set it off.

: : Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the alarm? I followed the directions very closely and plugged everything in according to plan AFAIK.

: : Also, how do the keys function with the alarm enabled? Shouldn't I be able to set off the alarm in panic mode with my key?

: : It also seems as tho my double-press to close no longer rolls up the windows (it never closed the sunroof either, which has annoyed me).

: : What is going on?!

: : brian

Rick Kim

Yes | No

Isn't that why they have the reverse sensor now nt

: : I installed a BMW Factory alarm from PacficBMW myself and had my local dealer initialize it about 2 weeks ago.

: : However, to date, I can't make my bump sensor go off. Rocking the car doesn't do it - knocking on the frame doesn't do it - nothing. In addition, my motion sensor inside is incredibly NONsensitive. I have to wave my hand directly over the grill in the headliner to get it to go off. Putting my hands in with the windows rolled down (after the 45 second wait period) doesn't set it off.

: : Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the alarm? I followed the directions very closely and plugged everything in according to plan AFAIK.

: : Also, how do the keys function with the alarm enabled? Shouldn't I be able to set off the alarm in panic mode with my key?

: : It also seems as tho my double-press to close no longer rolls up the windows (it never closed the sunroof either, which has annoyed me).

: : What is going on?!

: : brian

: On the US models, the remote only rolls down the windows and opens the sunroof. If you want to close everything, including the sunroof, you must use the key in the driver's door and hold the key after turning it to the right. The remote will not work for closing, as it is a safety reason, because your kid may be hanging his head out the window when you are raising the windows.

Spike

Yes | No

Biggest problem may be the operator ......(more)

Your alarm has no such thing as a "bump" sensor. Has tilt or motion sensors along with the normal power interrupts for the doors, hood, trunk and such. Your owners manual clearly states that when the windows and sun-roof are open, the motion sensor sensetivity is clearly reduced. So sticking your arm in an open window may not work as you have observed. If you want to test you alarm, simiply lock someone in the car and see how little it takes to set the motion sensor off.

Again your owners manual clearly states hold the trunk button down, guarantee you will get noise you will want to figure out how do turn off. You do that by pressing button 1 (unlock) on your key.

For US cars, cannot close windows nor sunroof with remote, have to use key. Again one of those books that your sales-person said you should read (Owners Manual), in that nice black leather binder in your glove box tells you all about this. It explains some pretty great features about your car that are not apparent when you just put your key in the ignition, start it and go like hell.

Please this is not intended to be a Flame and if taken that way I apologize.

Waterside

Yes | No

Manual says it will NOT roll up windows. . .

:

Actually, I have read the manual and watched the video. Both indicate that when using the key in the lock it will close all the windows and sunroof (yes mine does close). They both go on to say that this feature is not avaialable from the remote.

This is, of course, in the litigation-happy United States. If you are in a different country your mileage may vary but here in the US the lawyers have seen to it that we'll never see this ability from the remotes. . .

it works

Yes | No

Re: BMW Alarm Sensitivity Adjustment?

I think you should check the installation. My alarm is very sensitive to sticking your hand in the windows went they are down....remember the alarm isnt set to 30-45 seconds after set..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information