+ Reply to Thread
    Tom

Yes | No

Z3 door seals

Last week I attended the SF Imported Car Show. I noticed that all three Z3s on display suffered the same problem - the rubber weatherstripping along the bottom of the door sill was ripped to shreds. In addition to possible water damage to the body, this would be a real eyesore...each time you got in the car you would see it. The rubber felt as if it was of inferior quality.

I realize these cars had each suffered from many careless show attendees climbing in and out, but still, as a likely purchaser of one I would like to know if this is a common problem. Have those of you with high mileage Z3s encountered this? Do people by aftermarket door sill trim pieces to combat the problem? Do they lead to rust problems?

Any experiences?

Thanks

FredR

Yes | No

Re: Z3 door seals

I have this problem and I caused it. I got the seat belt caught in the door when I closed it. I, instead of opening the door to free the seat belt, gave it a good yank. Low and behold a torn weather strip. I will eventually get around to replacing it but it isn't causing any noticable problems so far. This happened more than a year ago.

: Last week I attended the SF Imported Car Show. I noticed that all three Z3s on display suffered the same problem - the rubber weatherstripping along the bottom of the door sill was ripped to shreds. In addition to possible water damage to the body, this would be a real eyesore...each time you got in the car you would see it. The rubber felt as if it was of inferior quality.

: I realize these cars had each suffered from many careless show attendees climbing in and out, but still, as a likely purchaser of one I would like to know if this is a common problem. Have those of you with high mileage Z3s encountered this? Do people by aftermarket door sill trim pieces to combat the problem? Do they lead to rust problems?

: Any experiences?

: Thanks

Keith F

Yes | No

No such problem in 58k miles. (eom)

~

Tom P.

Yes | No

I was at the show also. Had to be caused by the throngs climbing in and out (alot of kids too). I haven't had any wear on my '99 2.3

Rod

Yes | No

: Last week I attended the SF Imported Car Show. I noticed that all three Z3s on display suffered the same problem - the rubber weatherstripping along the bottom of the door sill was ripped to shreds. In addition to possible water damage to the body, this would be a real eyesore...each time you got in the car you would see it. The rubber felt as if it was of inferior quality.

: I realize these cars had each suffered from many careless show attendees climbing in and out, but still, as a likely purchaser of one I would like to know if this is a common problem. Have those of you with high mileage Z3s encountered this? Do people by aftermarket door sill trim pieces to combat the problem? Do they lead to rust problems?

: Any experiences?

: Thanks

With over 120,000 on my Z3, I have only one tear on the door seal, a 1 inch passenger side rip of unknown origin. Otherwise, the car is still fairly tight.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information