+ Reply to Thread
    dahveed

Yes | No

Re: Air Filter Height (for Weber 32/36)

In Reply to: Filter Height posted by J-Man on February 24, 1999 at 18:00:49:

As previously stated, figure out whether or not you want to use the later-style '02 aircleaner, or an aftermarket performance unit.

Be forwarned that if you use the factory air cleaner with the adapter, it might sit high enough to hit the hood. I'm unsure of how high it would sit if simply modified to fit directly on the carb.

I used to have a (2.5"?) Redline cast aluminum air cleaner w/K&N filter. This used to hit the hood and caused dents.

I now use an ITG 2" foam air cleaner (www.bmw2002.net), and am very happy with the results. I can see that it still touches a bit, but since it's foam nothing bad happens. I should add that I use a .5 - .75" rubber insulator block/anti vibration kit (www.korman.com), and without this it probably wouldn't even touch.

PCV/Crankcase breather: Some like the idea of connecting it to the aircleaner, some don't. I personally don't like the idea of a slip-on filter for the breather. I prefer tubing and a catch-can. Some think running it to the air cleaner makes the carb dirty, and others think that not running it to the air cleaner makes the inside of the engine dirty; Can't help you there.

Now, if you really want something trick, check out www.bmw2002.net, they offer a cover for the carb, which has a snorkle (or two, if so desired) for running tubing to a remote filter (foam or K&N cone) in a cold-air location!

If I were you, I'd choose the latter. It should be the lowest of all, allow for most strut braces (factory air cleaner requires strut brace that fits around it), and offer true cold air intake. My current filter allows too much hot air to enter the intake.

My .02 cents worth.

Dave
    2x 68 1600 (one stock, one aftermarket experiment)

mike

Yes | No

: In Reply to: Filter Height posted by J-Man on February 24, 1999 at 18:00:49:

: I now use an ITG 2" foam air cleaner (www.bmw2002.net), and am very happy with the results. I can see that it still touches a bit, but since it's foam nothing bad happens. I should add that I use a .5 - .75" rubber insulator block/anti vibration kit (www.korman.com), and without this it probably wouldn't even touch.

: Now, if you really want something trick, check out www.bmw2002.net, they offer a cover for the carb, which has a snorkle (or two, if so desired) for running tubing to a remote filter (foam or K&N cone) in a cold-air location!

I tried your URL "www.bmw2002.net" and got "http://www.racetep.com/bmw.html" without finding the snorkel/remote filter topic. I've wanted a way to draw cold air into the Weber without a lot of expense. How much is the set-up?

Dwight Chew

Yes | No

Look at www.racetep.com/linkage.html at the end of the section.

dahveed

Yes | No

Try www.racetep.com/linkage.html,

Look for "Carburetor and Air Cleaner Adapters"

At the bottom-left of the page, you'll see what I mean.

My car is dying for some cold air.

Dave
    '2x 68 1600

: : In Reply to: Filter Height posted by J-Man on February 24, 1999 at 18:00:49:

: : I now use an ITG 2" foam air cleaner (www.bmw2002.net), and am very happy with the results. I can see that it still touches a bit, but since it's foam nothing bad happens. I should add that I use a .5 - .75" rubber insulator block/anti vibration kit (www.korman.com), and without this it probably wouldn't even touch.

: : Now, if you really want something trick, check out www.bmw2002.net, they offer a cover for the carb, which has a snorkle (or two, if so desired) for running tubing to a remote filter (foam or K&N cone) in a cold-air location!

: I tried your URL "www.bmw2002.net" and got "http://www.racetep.com/bmw.html" without finding the snorkel/remote filter topic. I've wanted a way to draw cold air into the Weber without a lot of expense. How much is the set-up?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information