+ Reply to Thread
    earl

Yes | No

E36 CONVERTIBLE TOP RESET AFTER MOTOR DISENGAGEMEN

I have a 95 325i convertible and I need to reset the convertible top motor as I pulled the manual lever under the rear seat that disengages the powertop motor. Has anyone done this? Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29707 Frank325IC is an unknown quantity at this point Frank325IC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: E36 CONVERTIBLE TOP RESET AFTER MOTOR DISENGAGEMEN

I have pasted a past response to another with the same issue...

First thing to check is whether the top motors have been disconnected.
    If the rear seat is lifted, you will find a cable pull. If someone has pulled that lever, the motors which power the top will be disconnected.
    Go to the trunk. On the left side, remove the panels exposing the area just below the rear deck. On the inside/top of the quarterpanel, Just above the wheelwell, you will see two small motors. These motors are hinged. When the lever under the rear seat is pulled, these motors drop down. All you need to do is push them up until you hear a click. Once this is done, you will need to reprogram the switch on the console. You do this by holding it down for 30 secs or so. If this is the problem it will be immediately obvious to you.
    Hope this helps.

Frank 325iC

earl

Yes | No

Re: E36 CONVERTIBLE TOP RESET AFTER MOTOR DISENGAG

Thanks Frank.

Some background on my problem and then some quick questions.

I have the fully automatic convertible top that latches and unlatches automatically from the windshield header. The lever under the back seat was pulled to disengage the motors from the arms, when the top was in the half raised position, with the rear window folded up waiting for the rear deck to drop down in to place and the windshield header latches to winch down and engag and lock in to place.

My questions are these:

1. Yes, the lever under the seats was pulled.
    2. In the trunk I have located the motors.
    3. Yes they have dropped down.
    4. I manually raised and locked my convertible top into place.

So all I have to do is re-engage the motors into place and press the powertop button in the lower the top position and it will woork?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions.

Once I push the 2 motors back up into place and re-engage them with the 'arms' that raise and lower the top, does it matter if

Registered Member
    Member No: 29707 Frank325IC is an unknown quantity at this point Frank325IC's Avatar

Yes | No

I pulled that lever once...ONCE!
    Anyway, it's not a huge deal really. Push the motors back into place and hit the button!
    I think mine was in the open position when I reconnected. I don't know if it matters. I didn't even know that there was a fully automatic roof!

Registered Member
    Member No: 15865 nickster is an unknown quantity at this point nickster's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all the info.

I did a little research in my Bentley manual and came up with the following reasonings on my part.

There is an S1 and S2 switch on the power top motor in the rear. Since I pulled the lever under the seat and closed my top manually when the convertible top was half raised, in order to reset the switches S1, S2 on the top motor, I'll have to manually lower my top, THEN press the powertop switch to the "lower the top" position, at the console to 'reset the S1 S2 switches on the motor back to the zero,' or beginning position as the motor runs back to the final 'down position'. Once that has happened, THEN I will re-engage the powertop motor in the trunk to it's gearbox and all top switches in the system will work correctly. Otherwise, I think I will have a problem with everything opening and closing correctly in sequence

Thanks.

Makes sense to me and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Unregistered

Yes | No

What if your truck is locked still and the light is still blinking.

How do you unlock the top
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.168.4.140

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information