+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 36321 OUMoneyMan is an unknown quantity at this point OUMoneyMan's Avatar

Yes | No

Converting odometer from KM to Miles?????

I'm looking at buying a German import that the seller claims displays KM's on the odometer. The carfax report shows that when the vehicle was registered in the U.S. the KM figure was recorded by the state DMV. Is this common? Is there any way I can verify that the odometer truly is displaying KM's instead of miles? How expensive is a conversion from KM to Miles on the odometer? Thanks Bimmer fans.

jays_e36

Yes | No

I would watch out

When you change around things like that people wonder if you have set the odometer back.
    My friend had a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo and he changed the inside gauge colour and background and they questioned him about turning the odometer back.
    Just a thought.
    Jay

SEG

Yes | No

Re: Converting odometer from KM to Miles?????

It is not possible to convert the digital odo reading from miles to km or vice versa. If the odo reads km on a U.S. model BMW, then the whole unit must have been replaced. Check the VIN on the cluster(instrument cluster test, check archives). If it matches, then a dealer has replaced the unit. If it doesn't, then someone else took a cluster from another E36...
    In the worst case, all you would have to do is buy a new US version cluster...

How come a German import displays km?? That means it must have the German cluster version, and that does not display mph on the "clock" speed reading. I wonder how this was approved.

Malcolm

Yes | No

Drive the highway and measure by the mile markers

Mark D

Yes | No

Are you sure you can not convert from km to miles? I heard that it can be done by purchasing a new "coding plug" which has the milage/kilometers stored in it. But if you do this, it will start off at 0, so you won't have the previous distance recorded.

Mark

SEG

Yes | No

Well, yes and no. As far as I know, BOTH the coding plug AND the instrument cluster record the mileage distance. One of the locked instrument cluster tests is the distance test. That compares the distance stored in the cluster to the one stored in the coding plug, and when they don't match, the little red manipulation dot illuminates. A reset will then overwrite the smaller with whichever is the larger distance. Still, I wonder whether that coding plug would make a difference. All dealers I have talked to so far in the U.S. and Germany have said that on E46 one can indeed switch between mph/kmh via OBD, but not on E36.

BMW Z4

Yes | No

Klm to mph

I have 2007 Z4 and the dealer can change it to read Miles or KLM very simple procedure. When it is changed the correct distance traveled will be shown and not back to zero. This may not be so in older BMW.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.66.39.117

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information