+ Reply to Thread
    JG

Yes | No

Radiator Flush at Firestone?

I ususally use a dealer, or German Auto Independant for my service needs, but I received a coupon from Firestone the other day that will do a complete radiator flush and refill for $54.99. The regular drain and fill is usually run about this price. I usually avoid shops that do service work on any car that comes through the door. Though is a national company, would you trust them to flush the radiator? Opinions?? Thanks in advance .....

Registered Member
    Member No: 45226 RIZZY is an unknown quantity at this point RIZZY's Avatar

Yes | No

DIY - for the cost of coolant.

THE ONLY THING I USE FIRESTONE FOR IS TO MOUNT RUBBER ON RIMS.
    I DON'T EVEN TAKE MY CAR TO THEM. THEY SEE BMW AND THEY GET REAL WHINY JUST WANT TO MAKE THINGS MORE DIFFICULT.

will they use?

Yes | No

trust to flush rad, sure - but what coolant

Registered Member
    Member No: 14423 giddygod is an unknown quantity at this point giddygod's Avatar

Yes | No

Bite the bullet

BMW and get some distilled water from supermarket or auto store. Mix 40/60 or 50/50 depending on expected temperatures. Mixing 50/50 will generate less heat on the heating system as heat transfer is effected as concentration is increased.

If you don't expect less than -10c then 40/60 (Antireeze/distilled water) is fine, This will improve heater output compared to 50/50. Do it now before Winter fully sets in, You can then forget for 2 years.

Flushing the system, Easier to do yourself with the engine cold and draining the system down, Then removing two hoses off the thermostat housing. Use a garden hose to flush in both directions in the hoses for 10 minutes, This will remove most of the deposits. Then reconnect hoses and fill slowly with antifreeze then distilled water.

Have posted loads of info on how to flush and fill the system.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information