+ Reply to Thread
    dp

Yes | No

front doors freeze shut...help

I am the owner of a 2001 X5 3.0 and this is my first winter with this car in upstate NY. Two different time, each front door froze shut and could not be opened until the car warmed up. The back doors were fine. I am wondering if silicone on the rubber gaskets on the doors will alleviate this problem? I want to add that the weather was not that bad when the problem happens.

Registered Member
    Member No: 38107 DaveyKid is an unknown quantity at this point DaveyKid's Avatar

Yes | No

When you say freeze, are you certain it's

the seal or is it the inside door handle you can't pull open? In my case, it's the inside door handle that "freezes" on me and I'm literally locked inside the car without crawling over the center console to the other door. Of course the dealer denies there's a problem.

Chris F.

Yes | No

I was told there was a TSB out for this, check +

...with BMWNA to see if they can give you the TSB #.

-Chris

Chris F.

Yes | No

Have you been through a car wash recently?

Registered Member
    Member No: 32122 TNT is an unknown quantity at this point TNT's Avatar

Yes | No

Service Bulliten SI 51 51 02

FYI - Outdoor handle freezes - replace all door handle carrier assemblies with improved parts.

dp

Yes | No

more info

I think the door freezes to the door jam. When I pull on the handle, it moves, but refuses to open the door. I turn up the heat and let car sit for a while. BTW, I am not talkin about sub-zero temps. Once, I did manage to get the door open, but the latch refused to engage and the door would not stay closed

Hatch

Yes | No

Was my guess

Chris F.

Yes | No

Awesome, thank you! Any idea on how long it took +

...to replace all the door handles?

-Chris

Chris F.

Yes | No

See TNT's post below, I would start there. Bring +

...that TSB # to your dealer and let him know you are experiencing the same problems as outlined in the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

-Chris

dp

Yes | No

NO (NT)

dilznic

Yes | No

Same exact thing happened to me 2 days ago!

I went to Burdick BMW in Upstate, NY and they told me that they "couldn;t get it to repeat itself, but threw some lube on the door handles"... Hmm great, I'm sure that will help.

JLW

Yes | No

Re: Aside form below TSB(m)

These X's have a total seal i understand coating them with gummi phlege will allow the seal not to stick. I ordered some currently on back order @ bavauto.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 15919 Ginger is an unknown quantity at this point Ginger's Avatar

Yes | No

I've sent you an email offering our assistance.

If you prefer, you can call us at 800-831-1117.

DSPBOB

Yes | No

Re: front doors freeze shut...help

Just happened to me this morning a 2001 x5 4.4.

It rained last night, I drive the car, then the snow/sleet came.
    This morning I went yank on the driver side, it took some strength to open, but it will not close afterwards from the inside.

I took it back to BMW with the door open, the service manager was very helpful, and said, that this is a defect on all the X5 door. BMW knows this, it should be changed if you live in cold climate. It is 24 deg out side right now with snow.

Beware !

Don Goldstein

Yes | No

Re: front doors freeze shut...help

I have had this problem occur to me on two seperate ocassions. The first time was over a year ago when on a cold morning I could not close the drivers door. I had to drive half way to work holding the door shut! I had brought the car back to the dealer for this and they were supposed to fix it via repalcing the door handles. Well, this past Febuary '03 I was driving my 8 year old daughter to school and when I made a turn her door ( right rear passenger ) swung open!! Thankfully she was OK. The car door indicators never came on informing me that the doors were not secured. The dealer again repalced the handles , but I do not think the problem is with the handles, it is probably with the interior mechanism /latch. In any event my ownership experience with my 2001 x5 4.4 has been awful. In the past 30 months this car has been in the shop 39 times! That is an average of more then one day per month since I have taken delivery. I had cell phone problems ( BMW intergrated $1,700 cell phone system) , rear door hatch problems, door striping peeling off, doors freezing, anti freeze leaking , interior door handle material peel off. The list goes on. I think this X5 is a real piece of Sh$#. In reading up and speaking to other X5 owners it appears that this car is truly suffering from build quaility issues. If this was an American car make the current owners and the press would not be so forgiving with all of these problems. Well, this was my second BMW car and it will be my last. FYI, I had written BMW NA on several occasions expressing my dissapointment with all of my problems, they never responded to one of my letters or e-mails. Germany can have BMW...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information