+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 59508 CSORENSEN is an unknown quantity at this point CSORENSEN's Avatar

Yes | No

New BMW Race Series in Ontario, Canada

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new race series for drivers of BMW Cars, the ActionFront Ontario BMW Race Series, presented by Raven Performance Inc.

This is a privately owned and operated series that is not directly associated with any CASC-OR affiliated club, the BMW CCA Club Racing program, nor the BMW Club of Canada.

The series was created to offer a competitive driving experience for all BMW enthusiasts, in all types of factory authorized or constructed BMW's in a fun, safe, and friendly environment where the primary emphasis is on clean driving and machinery preservation.

The above sentence shall be referred to as the 'Spirit of Club Racing' which guides the rules and procedures to be created and enforced by the administrators and stewards of the series.

The ActionFront Ontario BMW Race Series, presented by Raven Performance Inc., will be held during five weekends in 2003 at race weekends organized by CASC-OR affiliated clubs at Shannonville and Mosport.

The series will be open to members of CASC-OR affiliated clubs who hold either a CASC-OR Race Licence or a BMW CCA Race Licence who have demonstrated their respect for the 'Spirit of Club Racing'.

It is anticipated that the series registration fee will be approximately $500 and that individual event fees will be on the order of $400 per weekend. Discounts will be available for multiple-event pre-registration.

Applications for series registration will be reviewed by a driver-nominated Selection Committee to ensure that all participants can be assured that the 'Spirit of Club Racing' is maintained.

The rules and classifications are expected to conform closely with those used by BMW CCA Club Racing as this is intended to become a 'feeder series' for BMW CCA Club Racing. Nevertheless, the Ontario BMW Race Series will be run in accordance with the CASC-OR General Competition Regulations and Race Regulations.

Drivers will be responsible for obtaining AMB TransX260 transponders which are required by both CASC-OR and BMW CCA Club Racing. These transponders will be available for purchase or rent through the CASC-OR.

A drivers' meeting for interested participants has been called for 12:30PM on Sunday January 5th, 2003, at the Raven Performance shop on 7634 Woodbine Avenue, in Markham, Ontario.

At the January drivers' meeting applications for series registration will be accepted at an 'early-bird' fee of $300.

Please contact John Dimoff of Raven Performance Inc. ([email protected]) at 905-477-1800 for further details.

Lee

Yes | No

Legal to use BMW letters? Doubt it.

I believe that Dimoff/Raven are about to enter a huge legal battle for thinking they can use the BMW equity without even asking. Only BMW-approved clubs can use the acronym... and they have to comply to a series of rules. Because BMWCCA and BMWCC already have such a Club Race formula and they both are approved by BMW AG, Raven/Dimoff will compete with an already approved and existing formula, which is why I don't think BMW AG will ever accept that a private pary uses their acronym with no impunity.

Just my 02 cents

Paul

Yes | No

I agree, asking for major trouble

Registered Member
    Member No: 57952 ttoversteer is an unknown quantity at this point ttoversteer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Legal to use BMW letters? Doubt it.

Careful, your anti-Trillium (or is it anti-Raven this week?) sentiment is showing .....(again).

Lee

Yes | No

Those were just facts.

Try to set-up a race challenge and use the BMW acronym without permission... Everyone needs permission from BMW Canada and AG, which have already given their approval to BMWCCA's Club Racing formula.

I am not the one who wiill be sued anyway.

I have many very good friends from the Trillium chapter. Instructors and drivers. They are very good persons. It has nothing to do with their affiliation with the chapter. But there are also a few not-too-recommandable persons in that chapter. I would not neglect a whole chapter because of only 3 or 4 rotten apples. Names withheld, they know who they are anyway.

Registered Member
    Member No: 57952 ttoversteer is an unknown quantity at this point ttoversteer's Avatar

Yes | No

FACT vs. OPINION

Phrases like "I believe" and "I think" are typically used to preface an OPINION. Quite different than FACT.

Lee

Yes | No

Only future will tell. Impunity never lasts...

Patrick

Yes | No

Re: I agree, asking for major trouble

Doubtful it would present much of an issue to BMW Canada.

It's an invitational race series with entry restricted to BMW automobiles. Nowhere is anyone using the BMW logo, BMW Club of Canada logo, or any representation of the Roundel.

It's not any different than using the letters BMW in an online forum of some sort.

I'd be highly surprised if BMW of Canada had anything to say about the series. Plenty of BMW *meets* have been organized over the past several years, and BMW of Canada has had minimal (if any) interest in pursuing those matters, except where their logo / Roundel was bastardized in some way.

I suspect BMW of Canada might actually enjoy some of the exposure the series presents to them, should it become successful.

Pat

Lee

Yes | No

No BMW club or BMW magazine without approval

Gathering BMWs together is nice, but not using the acronym. BMW Canada/Worldwide is scrupulous about it. And they do not care if they have any benefit out of it.

Why do you think that some chapters in Vancouver called themselve Bavarian Club? Or a certain magazine is called BM Mag, or that my usual independent repair shop cannot post a BMW logo even though 90% of their businerss is around BMWs. And they had to change their namer after 20 years of operation from BMW Exclusive to BM Exclusive.

According to their guidelines (not mine) the use of the full acronym must be approved.

Jordan

Yes | No

Re: No BMW club or BMW magazine without approval

You armchair "legal experts" crack me up.
    Whether the series or the name of the series is endorsed by BMW is irrelevant. It is going ahead with many participants and dedicated track time at CASC weekends. That is a fact.
    You keep being petty and nitpicking away at whether you think the name is legal- the rest of us will be busy building an exciting new series.

Patrick

Yes | No

Re: No BMW club or BMW magazine without approval

Better check your case law then Lee.

BMW AG lost a case like this in 1999 in the Netherlands, and BMW Canada has only pursued matters regarding the use or mis-use of the Roundel itself, and affiliated BMW Club logo's.

Plenty of BMW repair shops around Toronto using the name with no legal issues from BMW Canada. Maybe your mechanic is just a crook...

Pat

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information