+ Reply to Thread
    dahveed

Yes | No

Bavaria Fuel Pump in an '02? can this be done?

Hello fellow 02'ers,

A buddy of mine has a mechanical fuel pump from a Bavaria installed on his '68 2002. He has a 121Ti-headed motor w/ 9.3-1 pistons. He has a jetted Weber 32/36 carb.

The pump only looks slightly different from a standard early-style (rebuildable) 2002 fuel pump.

His car is fast and torquey.

Is this an acceptible thing to do? Are there any problems with shaft length? Is this considered a little-known hop-up trick?

Could he be compensating for the extra fuel through float adjustment? How much extra fuel does this pump flow?

Should I do this to my car? I have a jetted/built Weber 32/36 also.

TIA, Dave

68 1600s (one bone stock project, one lowered beast)

mike

Yes | No

Re: Bavaria Fuel Pump in an '02? can this be done?

: Hello fellow 02'ers,

: A buddy of mine has a mechanical fuel pump from a Bavaria installed on his '68 2002. He has a 121Ti-headed motor w/ 9.3-1 pistons. He has a jetted Weber 32/36 carb.

: The pump only looks slightly different from a standard early-style (rebuildable) 2002 fuel pump.

: His car is fast and torquey.

: Is this an acceptible thing to do? Are there any problems with shaft length? Is this considered a little-known hop-up trick?

: Could he be compensating for the extra fuel through float adjustment? How much extra fuel does this pump flow?

: Should I do this to my car? I have a jetted/built Weber 32/36 also.

Seems like your buddy would be a good place to ask these questions also unless he got the car that way and doesn't know anyhting about it.

But then, he knows (or thinks) that he has a Bavaria fuel pump and jetted Weber, so he must know something.

dahveed

Yes | No

already asked him, and he doesn't know whay he put the Bavaria Fuel pump on. he had his carb jetted to his motor.

the point being, does anyone know if this is okay to do?

can there be any performance benefit?

has anyone else heard of this mod?

and my previous questions...

Thanks all,
    Dave
    : : Hello fellow 02'ers,

: : A buddy of mine has a mechanical fuel pump from a Bavaria installed on his '68 2002. He has a 121Ti-headed motor w/ 9.3-1 pistons. He has a jetted Weber 32/36 carb.

: : The pump only looks slightly different from a standard early-style (rebuildable) 2002 fuel pump.

: : His car is fast and torquey.

: : Is this an acceptible thing to do? Are there any problems with shaft length? Is this considered a little-known hop-up trick?

: : Could he be compensating for the extra fuel through float adjustment? How much extra fuel does this pump flow?

: : Should I do this to my car? I have a jetted/built Weber 32/36 also.

:
    : Seems like your buddy would be a good place to ask these questions also unless he got the car that way and doesn't know anyhting about it.

: But then, he knows (or thinks) that he has a Bavaria fuel pump and jetted Weber, so he must know something.

milton

Yes | No

Dave,

Quick answer. Yes it is ok (I reserve the right to change my answer if he car suddenly blows up and the fault is traced to his fuel pump).

But, no he would not get a performance benefit. The fuel fed to run the engine is stored in the float chamber which is downstream from the fuel pump. There would be no performance gain from the ability to fill the float chamber faster unless the previous fuel pump was so slow it resulted in fuel starvation from empty float chambers.

All the non OE fuel pump could do would be to increase the rate of fuel flow or the pressure. Unless your fuel pump is not providing enough fuel - leave it alone. And, if that was the case - I'd suggest going to an electric, pressure regulated setup.

That said, I know very, very little about carbs so blast away if my understanding is incomplete.

I guess the bavaria pump could also rob the motor of a horsie or two if it pressed really hard on its cam lobe or something.

So, the clear answer. It might be one way to address a fuel starvation issue, but it will not increase the performance of an already well running motor.

Milton

: already asked him, and he doesn't know whay he put the Bavaria Fuel pump on. he had his carb jetted to his motor.

: the point being, does anyone know if this is okay to do?

: can there be any performance benefit?

: has anyone else heard of this mod?

: and my previous questions...

: Thanks all,
    : Dave
    : : : Hello fellow 02'ers,

: : : A buddy of mine has a mechanical fuel pump from a Bavaria installed on his '68 2002. He has a 121Ti-headed motor w/ 9.3-1 pistons. He has a jetted Weber 32/36 carb.

: : : The pump only looks slightly different from a standard early-style (rebuildable) 2002 fuel pump.

: : : His car is fast and torquey.

: : : Is this an acceptible thing to do? Are there any problems with shaft length? Is this considered a little-known hop-up trick?

: : : Could he be compensating for the extra fuel through float adjustment? How much extra fuel does this pump flow?

: : : Should I do this to my car? I have a jetted/built Weber 32/36 also.

: :
    : : Seems like your buddy would be a good place to ask these questions also unless he got the car that way and doesn't know anyhting about it.

: : But then, he knows (or thinks) that he has a Bavaria fuel pump and jetted Weber, so he must know something.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information