+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M50 in E21?

Josh_Q

Yes | No

M50 in E21?

Has anyone done this or seen this. Just thinking about how fast and E21 with an E36 M3 engine would be. The M50 weighs the same if not a little less than the M20. Just curious. I'm sure the hard part would be swapping gearboxs and the wiring, ect.
    -Josh

joshw02

Yes | No

Re: M50 in E21?

About a month ago there was a guy in denver that had a 323i baur convt.for sale that had a believe it or not a m50 turbo motor in it.The car was built by korman in 96' or 97' It sounded sweet 15'' alpinas etc.The tranny and rearend were stock 323I believe.Never made it down to look at it.He was asking $10k for it said it cost $60k to build.Crazy....

Registered Member
    Member No: 36485 tricord is an unknown quantity at this point tricord's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't think they could have been stock, because the torque makes the clutch slip and the rear end diff would be blown up soon enough. I don't know about the tranny, but I suspect it won't last long.

I've seen an E30 with an M50 turbocharged putting out 380HP (or so) at the dyno. Goes from 0-200km/h in 12 secs.

Reggiewaller

Yes | No

actually, the m50 motor is just over 100lbs heavier than the m20 motor. I was looking into doing this swap myself, but decided i wanted the car more spry rather than the dragster type. Its a whole lot cheaper to do the m50 swap though if you can find a good used motor, i would suggest going with the m50 tranny (or at least e30) as well and perhaps a different differential. the motor and tranny will sit at a bit of an angle. has been done though....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information