+ Reply to Thread
    Dan

Yes | No

2000 528i 4-sp vs. 5-sp Steptronic auto

I am buying a used 2000 528i as a second car. Late in the model year BMW switched to the 5 speed Steptronic automatic trans as a replacement for the old 4-speed non-Steptronic unit. Question is, how do they compare in terms of driving performance (e.g., quality of shifts and speed of kick-down, etc.) and what is known about their reliability and durability? Any first hand experience is welcome.

Thanks.

Dan

Registered Member
    Member No: 12405 Bill08690 is an unknown quantity at this point Bill08690's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2000 528i 4-sp vs. 5-sp Steptronic auto

The Sport shift program is miles better than the old 4spd slush box. I had the '98 4spd and was not impressed. The '01 330 with step is a lot better. Just moving the shifter into Sport brings the car to life as it holds the shifts longer and responds to the excelerator much better. If you shift manually, the control is exceptional and the automatic upshift at red line is wonderful. With the old trans if you held a shift too long [it would not upshift] the rpm governor would kick-in, what a bummer that is! No contest IMHO. Can't say how the reliability would be but you should have a warranty for this vehicle!

JYG Y2K5285spCT

Yes | No

In OCT 99, went to 5speed auto,check date made

on door sticker,

Registered Member
    Member No: 7035 mensy is an unknown quantity at this point mensy's Avatar

Yes | No

No performance advantage with 5speed

When C&D tested the 528 with the 5speed auto they actually reported a slightly slower 0-60 time than with the 4speed. But due to testing variables, I probably wouldn't say the 528 with 5speed is slower, nor is it faster.

Some drivers also prefer that the transmission doesn't do it's own upshifting...then again some drivers do. Matter of preference. I have the 4speed and it works fine for me. No transmission problems at all yet (112k miles). Occasional 'less than smooth' 2-3 upshift...but that might be specific to my 1997 car. The steptronic controls on the 5speed are nice. But I wouldn't say the difference between the 2 trannies are significant enough to make me think about it, nor would I consider it a big deal.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information