+ Reply to Thread
    sonny

Yes | No

1995 525i auto transmission fluid????

Does this '95 525iA come with lifetime transmission fluid? or do I need to replace it...everytime, I shift out from Park..it jerked hard..like stucking gears...

I was thinking of replacing the transmission fluid? any ideas or advices please

TIA
    Sonny

Jim C

Yes | No

Re: 1995 525i auto transmission fluid????

Subject of a lot of postings on here.

91-95 525i's have the A4S 310R auto,made in France I do believe for GM cars.No dipstick because of the "lifetime" fluid.No such thing as a lifetime fluid the experts say.

Suggestions are to drain the fluid (about 3-4 qts each time) three times to insure that most of fluid is changed.Jack up car so it is level run it in neutral to warm it up and refill with cheap hand pump till it spills out of filler hole.On third drain,get a new gasket and bolt set from dealer($20)and pull off pan,clean it and the magnets inside and reinstall with new gasket and bolts.That is about the best way I know,others may have better ideas.

HTH
    Jim C

Kenny

Yes | No

Re: 1995 525i auto transmission fluid????

the tranny fluid needs to be replaced at least every 30 k miles... Make sure your mechanic also changes the front AND rear pan gasket where the tranny filter goes... I did a transmission service without replacing the gaskets once, and the engine started to race in neutral after 15k miles..

Registered Member
    Member No: 46782 Maclover94 is an unknown quantity at this point Maclover94's Avatar

Yes | No

No such thing as a lifetime fluid !!!!!

I just changed the original fluid in my 95 740i becuase it was shifting a little rough and I assumed it was done at 40k (it has 80k now). I dumped the fluid and it looked worse than 10k oil!!! Filled with fresh fluid and it shift much much better! Auto trannys do last alot longer of coarse with regular 30k fluid changes.

Dick_Schneiders

Yes | No

Actually the so-called lifetime fluid didn't begin

until about 1994 or 1995. Those cars prior to then, even if they have no dipstick, need regular fluid and filter changes - about every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The ones with the "lifetime" fluid that came later still need the same service done, but at a longer interval - usually recommended at about 75,000 miles.

By the way, I have 2 1991 525i's with the M50 engine and GM tranny and they both *do* have a tranny fluid dipstick! The no-dipstick trannys began sometime in late 1991.

****_Schneiders (2, 1991 525iA's)

Registered Member
    Member No: 40637 bimmer525i is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer525i's Avatar

Yes | No

Should I change the filter as well..

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions.
    Let say if I take the transmission pant out, how many quarts do I need to have it replace...

TIA
    Sonny

BR

Yes | No

I'm in the same boat...

Yup, my '95 525iA has about 78K miles on it and my build date is 9/95. I've got that big green sticker on the AT sump that say "lifetime fluid" etc... The AT works great but I'm on the fence regarding changing the oil.. I've read too many stories here about ATs that were fine until the oil was changed. Dang! I've love to change that oil!! The local dealer recommends just letting it go with no changes. If I did change it, I'd like to change it ALL, not just a few quarts (plus filter of course).

Brendan
    San Jose, CA

Registered Member
    Member No: 40637 bimmer525i is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer525i's Avatar

Yes | No

Front Gasket AND Rear Gasket ???

I would have to get fluid, filter, gasket, ...rear gasket???? so what you are saying is that it has TWO gaskets in the transmission pan.

Please clarify or if you have any site to show me how to replace it, i would greatly appreciated..

TIA
    Sonny

Registered Member
    Member No: 62205 Jack576 is an unknown quantity at this point Jack576's Avatar

Yes | No

New filter, new gasket--good insurance. (n/m)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information