+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 59394 davidc2 is an unknown quantity at this point davidc2's Avatar

Yes | No

Transmission whine FIXED!!!!!!

Well, for those of you who changed your transmission fluid and then developed the dreaded whining sucking whirring noise in 1st and 2nd gear, I've got GOOD NEWS.

As Kirt Koeller suggested, the problem was indeed caused by an aftermarket filter and a bad "O" ring. The shop that worked on it (Bavarian Motor Sports in Suwannee) put in an aftermarket transmission oil filter despite assuring me TWICE that they used a real OEM BMW filter. I took it back to them last week and they insisted that the noise was "normal", that there was nothing else to be done and, if you can believe this, that the noise was not very bad, "If you turn up the radio." -- I'm not joking.

Ronald Trochelmann at Performing Imports in Roswell, GA put the car on a lift and immediately noticed fluid leaking from the transmission around the sensor "O" rings.

It turns out that Bavarian evidently did not replace the "O" rings as they should have. I'm not sure if they didn't notice the leak last week or if it just started to leak over the weekend. Either way, I'm unhappy with them to say the least. I put the aftermarket filter in a large ziplock bag and will take it with me tomorrow when I visit Bavarian to discuss a refund for the mess they caused. Up until this incident, I had been relatively happy with their work.

Performing Imports removed the aftermarket filter, installed a new BMW filter and new "O" rings for the sensor, added a couple quarts of the liquid gold Esso fluid, and voila! No more tranny whine. The cost was a reasonable 2 hours of labor plus parts.

The reason that the aftermarket oil filter didn't function properly is that it was collapsing under pressure and starving the transmission for fluid. If you've never seen the filter, it's flat -- about a 1/2" tall. The BMW filter has vertical ridges in it to prevent the top and bottom parts from collapsing on each other, but the aftermarket filter did not. FYI, the real BMW filter has "FILTRAN" stamped on it. If you don't see "FILTRAN" on it, you don't have the OEM part.

I also had them change the oil and drop the oil pan to check for loose oil pump bolts and, sure enough, I had three loose bolts that were barely hand tight, so that's one less thing to have to worry about.

Registered Member
    Member No: 59108 robertbowden is an unknown quantity at this point robertbowden's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Transmission whine FIXED!!!!!!

Dave: Thanks for the heads-up on Bavarian Motor in Suwanee, I can\'t believe they told you to turn up the radio. They are off my list.
    RobertDB's 740i

Registered Member
    Member No: 65939 96e38 is an unknown quantity at this point 96e38's Avatar

Yes | No

Does anyone know who can perform this work in Southern California, specifically Orange County?

Registered Member
    Member No: 63060 dannywa is an unknown quantity at this point dannywa's Avatar

Yes | No

GREAT! Now I feel comfortable about doing it!

Registered Member
    Member No: 46441 sealbeach740 is an unknown quantity at this point sealbeach740's Avatar

Yes | No

Great News! What year is your 7?

2000 740iS, oxford green/tan 40k
    1995 525i, also oxford green/tan 120k

Registered Member

Yes | No

'97 740iL with 100k miles, production date 06/96

calypso 750

Yes | No

outstanding news!

Bugzy

Yes | No

Is Bavarian Motor Sports that bad???????

Do you think this was a fluke problem with Bavarian Motor Sports because there assessment and ignorance of the problem is horrible. They worked on my car a couple of times with no problems; would you recommend Performing Imports as the second alternative to the dealer and how are there prices.

Thanks

Reed Hunt

Yes | No

After what I read, I wouldn't even think about BMS

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, yes, I think they screwed up (more)

But, more importantly than that, the thing that bothers me is how they (mis)handled the situation. I can accept that these cars are difficult to diagnose and that mechanics can make honest mistakes from time to time, but to tell me that I should just turn up the radio to hide the tranny noise takes the cake. And, that I was misled (lied to) about getting a real BMW filter combined with the fact that they re-used an "O" ring instead of replacing it is just shoddy work.

Prior to this, I had used them on several occasions for brakes, rotors, oil change, right-side thrust arm, bushings, sunroof, etc., without too much to complain about other than somewhat slow service. However, this event has totally shaken my confidence in BMS. If I ever use them again, I will *NOT* just leave my vehicle with them and pick it up later -- I'll stand there and watch them do the work like I did today at Performing Imports (who didn't mind at all, btw). That seems to be the best way to make sure the work really gets done the right way.

As far as prices go, BMS charged slightly less per hour but didn't offer a BMWCCA discount, whereas Performing Imports charges slightly more per hour but does offer a 10% BMWCCA discount, so the rates are pretty much the same. Performing Imports openly says that they mark some parts above dealer retail, so you have to watch out for that and either supply your own (they rightly insist on only BMW OEM parts) or get prices up front before the work is performed. Based on today's experience, I would go to them again, but I don't think you'll save much money versus going to a dealer.

FYI, the local dealer misdiagnosed the tranny problem, too, saying that the whole thing was faulty and required replacement for $5,000 + 10 hours labor.

BTW, they really didn't like my DEC aftermarket catalytic converter, though it seems (for the moment) to be working fine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 62809 egoodson is an unknown quantity at this point egoodson's Avatar

Yes | No

Our $$ fluid can be replaced w/confidence!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 50111 diver90 is an unknown quantity at this point diver90's Avatar

Yes | No

Congrats... They did the same good job for me 2

vv

Yes | No

Would you please post part number for filter and O

Registered Member
    Member No: 61317 hiltyga is an unknown quantity at this point hiltyga's Avatar

Yes | No

David - Thanks for sharing this with us!

Dave Hilton
    E38 2000 740iL Cosmos

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update: Bavarian Motor Sports kindly refunded

the money for their bill. I went in today with the aftermarket filter in a ziplock, prepared for an argument, but was pleasantly surprised that they issued me a refund check on the spot and thanked me for letting them know about the problem. They handled it well.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm afraid I didn't write them down, but I'll call

tomorrow and ask.

Registered Member
    Member No: 22541 WTH is an unknown quantity at this point WTH's Avatar

Yes | No

That's good to know - But...

it's simply obvious that one bad experience is not balanced by one good experience - they'll have to do more (now) to earn my confidence.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: That's good to know - But...

You're certainly correct. I thought it fair to let it be known, though, that at least they didn't hassle me about the money. I expected to have to fight for that.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31822 chaco3258 is an unknown quantity at this point chaco3258's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks for the excellent info. That explains why my previous 528I 97 had that low whirring sound around 30mph and now my 740il 01 also has the same sound around the same speed. I will be checking into that soon.

Javier
    740il 01

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information