+ Reply to Thread
    Daily masterbator

Yes | No

Trunk opens by itself

I've noticed my X5 opens the trunk by itself while running, followed by clicking noise in the tailgate for 5 seconds. and the trunk gate is locked so i have to push that trunk button to unlock. i already made an appointment for next week but anyone had similar experience??

Registered Member
    Member No: 18260 SilverX5 is an unknown quantity at this point SilverX5's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes...some of the 2001 X5 had wiring problem...

The wires were placed in an area where it was a little tight and wire insulation would rub against a sharp edge and then you would have short which would activate the release of the hatch.....There is a TSB about this...

Seba

Yes | No

Had the same problem ...

There's a service bulletin out there and they'll replace the tailgate assembly under warranty. Just be prepared to wait, it's on backorder and it took mine about 3 months to get it.
    In the mean time, whenever it rains it will unlock itself.

eyeballplanet

Yes | No

Re: Yes...some of the 2001 X5 had wiring problem...

Just another of the features exclusive to the 2001 X5. I loved it when it would open by itself as I drove away in 10 below zero. I just wait for several problems to arise so I only have to make one trip every three months. The nice thing is the service people know my SAV pretty well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 69215 cathyann is an unknown quantity at this point cathyann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Trunk opens by itself

Yes, I had the same problem with my 2002 X5 - it ultimately drained my battery where it wouldn't even hold a charge (it was opening after I shut the car off and I wasn't aware of it!!!!). It obviously wasn't fixed in the 2002 models and I have to wonder if it was fixed with the 2003 model! The dealer replaced the latch in my 2002 but I never got a chance to test it to see if it was fixed because I refused to take that car back (had multiple electrical problems). I now have a brand new 2003 X5 which only lasted 3 weeks and 600 miles before it headed back to the dealer for electrical problems!! Good luck and keep a close log of your problems.

Registered Member
    Member No: 52039 m3tonyh is an unknown quantity at this point m3tonyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Yes...some of the 2001 X5 had wiring problem...

Had the same problem also and after 2 attempts of the dealer adjusting the tailgate, they found that water had gotten into the switch(behind the rubber button on the top half of hatch). Had to be replaced, but the switch only comes with the piece of moulding strip and had to be painted. Came out great and no problems since(3months)

BMW NA Customer Relations
    Member No: BMW NA Customer Relations's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Trunk opens by itself

Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read about your problem with your trunk. If you and your center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information