+ Reply to Thread
    Etai14

Yes | No

HELP! Messed up with touch-up paint... any fixes?

I tried to repair a scratch on my Steel Blue 330i this weekend with some BMW touch-up paint. Unfortunately, the application brush is kind of thick... thicker than the scratch so some of it got on the unscratched portion of the car and it dried kind of rough. I didn't apply the clear-coat finish over the touch-up paint yet in hopes that someone might know how I can fix the mess-up. Is there any way to reverse the mistake I made or do I have to live with it?

Thanks.

Keith S

Yes | No

Clay it smooth or 3M Hand Glaze (m)

If you have paint cleaning clay I think this will abrade it off. If not 3M hand glaze with lots of elbow grease. The in bottle brush is WAY to big. In the future go to an art supply store and get #0000 brush which is perfect for scratches. With the color coat it is not necessary to completly fill the depression, just get the color covered. Do the filling with the clear. Also what makes it difficult is the touch up paint also softens the original paint. Don't forget to clean the brush it with solvent when done.

Registered Member
    Member No: 28814 vml is an unknown quantity at this point vml's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Clay it smooth or 3M Hand Glaze (m)

I second Keith's recommendation on the brush. Now to fix your problem I believe it would be too much for the hand glaze although the clay might work. If it's in a convex surface I would use a Meguiar's sanding block in 1500 grit or higher and a lot of patience to sand it down and repaint. This is an acquired skill and it will be much better if someone familiar with the touch up process will guide you.

Etai14

Yes | No

Better to go to dealer or auto-body shop??

Obviously I have no clue how to fix this to professional standards... Is there a possibility that these fix-it techniques might make it worse?

Registered Member
    Member No: 48159 rich2002 is an unknown quantity at this point rich2002's Avatar

Yes | No

nail polish remover works also

I took the touch up paint 3 days after I applied it with nail polish remover on a soft terry cloth. Worked great you would never know that I had put it on......buy a the finest brush you can find from a craft store like Michaels

Etai14

Yes | No

Will it only remove the touch up paint?

Does the nail polish remover only remove the touch-up paint or will it remove the original paint job around the scratch also?

Keith S

Yes | No

Clay & Hand Glaze are pretty safe (m)

The worst that will happen is, they will not work. You might even want to move up to rubbing compund which is more agressive than the glaze. Just try to limit the contact area to where you want to smooth the paint. Sandpaper is getting into a different area where if not done properly, can make things worse.

Registered Member
    Member No: 716 steve is an unknown quantity at this point steve's Avatar

Yes | No

LANGKA - it's designed specifically for this

Clay won't be abrasive enough, 3M Hand Glaze has no abrasives, and Nail Polish remover will remove your clear coat (or cloud it).

LANGKA is available at most quality autoparts stores, and is designed specifically for removing or wiping clean touch-up paint. Mothers also sells a product that's identical to LANGKA, just rebranded.

Do a google search on LANGKA.

-Steve

GURU REPORTS: Unbiased, impartial, practical testing and evaluation of car care products.

Registered Member
    Member No: 48159 rich2002 is an unknown quantity at this point rich2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Will it only remove the touch up paint?

no it did not remove any of the original paint. Make sure you gently apply the nail polish remover with a soft towel. Slowly increase the pressure on the towel until you start seeing the paint come off on the towel.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I would follow Steve L's advice

If you want perfect results I would follow his advice. I have picked up tips from him on the detailing forum. I did notice a slight clouding after the nail polish remover was first applied. I put some Mothers wax on after I applied the nail polish remover and can not tell of any clouding on the paint.

(yet another) Steve

Yes | No

denatured alcohol will remove it

...be patient, it will take awhile since its dried already. The alcohol *will not* harm the factory paint.

(yet another) Steve

Yes | No

...after removing *the mess* have it air brushed

Registered Member
    Member No: 31946 tomk is an unknown quantity at this point tomk's Avatar

Yes | No

Langka

For sure.

http://www.langka.com

It works and works well. Know it, learn it, live it.

Unregistered

Yes | No

Nail polish remover update

Nail polish remover works perfectly to remove the touch up paint with out affecting the original car paint. As the other post intrusted you use and clean rag and rub the area you are trying to remove the touch up paint from. Have patience, I just did this on my car and it only took about 5 minutes. You have to continuously rub will putting pressure onto the area you are trying to remove. After I wiped the area again with a separate cloth and all purpose cleaner to remove the nail polish remover residue. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.216.27

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information