+ Reply to Thread
    brave1heart

Yes | No

Dinan Tuning for E46 325i

Based on the research that I've done so far, the CAI would definitely require the Stage 2 download, so the increased air flow and back-pipe pressure would be managed better. I will work with some assumptions here - just slap me if I am way off on this:
    Dinan says that "The combination of the Stage 2 Engine Software and Cold Air Intake System produces a 7 horsepower and 6 lb/ft torque gain on 325 models."
    If a labor unit is 1/10 of an hour, then 10 units make one hour. I will use $80 an hour as the average that I would expect to pay.

Here is the pricing:
    Stage 2 dnld: $300 + 5 units (or $40)
    CAI + K&N filter: $550 + 25 units (or $200)
    -----------------------------------------------
    Total $850 parts + $240 lab = $1,090

In my estimate, the 330i is about 5 grand more expensive than the 325i w/ equivalent options. Official HP difference is 41 horses (225 - 184), or about $125/pony. In Dinan's case, you get 7 horses for $1,090, or about $155/pony. Definitely more expensive, although I suspect that drivability will be improved substantially and overall acceleration may be improved by more than what the 7-pony gain at 6,500 rpms reflects. Still not sure if it's worth it but at least it's nice to know that incremental improvements in performance don't cost outrageously more than going from the 325 to the 330. I think when you add drivability into the equation, the per-pony price may be very similar. What do you guys think?

MJS

Yes | No

Re: Dinan Tuning for E46 325i

I had my car in last week to get it done. They quoted me $932.50(parts and labor). They said Dinan had a $125 sale going on that month(April).
    Anyway, they ended up not doing it due to not having the correct software from Dinan. Even Dinan didn't have the correct software(the stuff they overnighted to my dealer was incorrect).

They said they would call me when they got it in. Maybe they don't have it delveloped yet. Here's my theory on this one: BMW constantly makes little changes during a cars' production run, my car was produced on 1/9/01. Maybe Dinan developed the software for the 325 on a car that was made earlier and thus had a different revision of software. The dealer said that the stuff Dinan kept sending was something like Rev. 5.05 and my car needed 6.00 or higher. Just a theory. Time for me to call Dinan.

My price brings your ratio down to $133/pony. Bygones. I wouldn't worry about rationalizing the cost to HP. Get it and feel good about it.

mjs

brave1heart

Yes | No

$932.50 sounds much better - it dropped a whole

digit ;o) BTW, from what I've heard, the free flow exhaust is supposed to be available now. Are you planning on putting it in too?

I had my car in last week to get it done. They quoted me $932.50(parts and labor). They said Dinan had a $125 sale going on that month(April).
    Anyway, they ended up not doing it due to not having the correct software from Dinan. Even Dinan didn't have the correct software(the stuff they overnighted to my dealer was incorrect).

They said they would call me when they got it in. Maybe they don't have it delveloped yet. Here's my theory on this one: BMW constantly makes little changes during a cars' production run, my car was produced on 1/9/01. Maybe Dinan developed the software for the 325 on a car that was made earlier and thus had a different revision of software. The dealer said that the stuff Dinan kept sending was something like Rev. 5.05 and my car needed 6.00 or higher. Just a theory. Time for me to call Dinan.

My price brings your ratio down to $133/pony. Bygones. I wouldn't worry about rationalizing the cost to HP. Get it and feel good about it.

mjs

MJS

Yes | No

Re: $932.50 sounds much better - it dropped a whol

Not anytime soon. I think the current exhaust has a nice growl to it. I Dinan's/AA/UUC/SuperSprint exhaust is more freeflowing and adds some power, then maybe in the future.

mjs

brave1heart

Yes | No

I love the stock exhaust hum too, esp. above

3K RPMS. You will notice some difference in the exhaust sound due to the CAI mod too. From what I've read, I was under the impression that the free flow exhaust combined with the CAI gives you an 11 HP gain, i.e. 4 HP on top of the 7 HP gain from CAI.

Not anytime soon. I think the current exhaust has a nice growl to it. I Dinan's/AA/UUC/SuperSprint exhaust is more freeflowing and adds some power, then maybe in the future.

mjs

MJS

Yes | No

Isn't the 325 FF Exhaust still under development?

Atleast that's what their webpage says. Is the 4 HP you mention for the the 323 dinan exhaust system?
    Keep in mind that the 2 exhausts systems(323-325) are not the same. I don't know that they'll be able to squeeze out any more HP from the current exhaust.

brave1heart

Yes | No

The FF Exhaust was just completed.

Their webpage hasn't been updated accordingly. The 4 HP gain is for an E46 325i. I remember seeing a total gain of 11 HP (FF + CAI) on their web site a couple of days ago.

1stDinan330i

Yes | No

Dinan's? doubtful (m)

the parts aren't even back from the fabricators yet. I was told about a week ago that the "first articles" haven't even arrived at Dinan yet. Once they (the molded/bent parts) do, then the mufflers are hand built at the Dinan shop.

brave1heart

Yes | No

I'm calling them tomorrow.

I heard that the freeflow exhaust has finally been developed and is awaiting release to market probably w/in the next month. The freeflow exhaust had to be revised because the 323 formerly had a single inlet pipe exhaust, whereas the 325 has a dual inlet, right? Or is there more to it?

1stDinan330i

Yes | No

more to it

the exhaust is completly new and was hand fitted to my car. the went through several iterations of the muffler before comming up with one that works. I'll probably have one of the first if not THEE first production muffler. I will take pics and post them here as soon as it happens.

I'd be interested to hear if you get a different story than I did. I got my info from their head of product engineering.

Peter

Yes | No

Re: Dinan Tuning for E46 325i

Do they currently still have the special offer on the Dinan ECU?
    thanks

mjs

1stDinan330i

Yes | No

I got the call - going in tomorrow

brave1heart

Yes | No

Re: I got the call - going in tomorrow

Glad to hear it. Let us know how you made out. Feel like a pioneer being the first one and all?

bmw e46 325i

Yes | No

dinan?

has anyone got the performance software?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.146.130.118

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information