+ Reply to Thread
    Desmo

Yes | No

Smelly Exhaust on E46 M3?

Just came back from grocery today, and as i was taking stuff out of the boot (with the engine running), i got a whiff of the exhaust, and peeeeeyeeeeeewwwwww, it nearly knocked my socks off. That was the smelliest thing that i've took a whiff of in my life. I have had a E36 m3, and a 2000 S4, and none of them ever had this offending smell. The only reason i may think of is the new gas i am using. I used to use Mobil or Exxon only 93octane, but for the new M3, i am using 94octane from Sunoco. I hope that nothing's wrong with the engine. I will ask the mechanic when i bring my car to the shop on the 14th. Anybody else have this problem? and don't tell me it's carbon monoxide, as it's supposed to be "smelless"

Suwipin

Yes | No

My exhaust smells too.. I think it's common..

for a break-in period...

Mr. Grinch

Yes | No

Catalytic Convertor

When unburned gas goes into the Cat, then it sits there until it's burned. Rich mixture, injector problems, misfires are possible causes.

In lean running conditions, extra oxygen gets to the hot cat and then burns the gas in the cat. This is what's causing the sulphur smell. It's not good, and can permanently damage the cat.

Best case... engine is misfiring or running rich for some reason. Fix it and all will be fine. Worst case, you will need the cat replaced as well as the cause for the rich mixture.

I'd go back to your other gas supplier too to see if that helps.

Desmo

Yes | No

Re: Catalytic Convertor

[censored], that does not sound good, is it expensive to replace Catalytic converter?

Mr. Grinch

Yes | No

Very expensive

Cat's aren't cheap, esp since the north american car has them joined or integral with the headers... I'm not sure.

You shouldn't have to worry if the car is on warranty though. If they are damaged, it's because the engine was running too rich, for whatever reason.

Desmo

Yes | No

Re: Very expensive

Thanks grinch, great help there. will talk to dealer asap

Lincoln

Yes | No

Re: Really???

My '92 E36 325is had this same problem from the time it was new until I sold it with 80K miles and I NEVER "used up" a cat and the dealer basically blamed it on the gas. You could actually change the intensity of the smell by using different brands but it never completely goes away due to high sulfer content in the gas. My E36 M3 did not make the sulfer smell as bad, but I used only Mobil 93 the entire time I had the car and I don't think the gas in Tx has as much sulfer content (anymore) as what is sold other regions (east coast)...I can't remember where I've read about this???

This is a common occurance, I can't call it problem and your car probably won't experience any long term effects from it.

Mr. Grinch

Yes | No

It all depends

on the amount of unburned fuel that makes it into the cat, how hot it gets, and how much oxygen it gets. Cat's can definately be ruined. But it's not necessary to happen right away. It can happen over years of using a richer mixture. You may not realize the Cat is no longer doing it's job until you have to do an emissions test.

StL Don

Yes | No

Do you have 'reformulated' gas? That stuff stin

In high polution areas the EPA madandates this crap. Here in St. Louis we have to burn it spring through summer.

If it is a sulfer smell it most likely is from the cat and you should talk to the dealer's tech department.

Desmo

Yes | No

Re: Do you have 'reformulated' gas? That stuff

I am not sure what kinda gas i have, but i use 94 octane at Sunoco, and i live in boston Massachusetts.

lk

Yes | No

LOL! it sounds AND SMELLS like a 2-stroke engine!

Lurker

Yes | No

No stink for me. (more)

No nasty thump, no rattling door, no stumbling, no stalling when cold. Must be the power of Phoenix Yellow voodoo. ;) About the only problem I've had so far is the sticky gas pedal, but it's definitely looser already and I have to pay real close attention now to even feel it.

Princelangreiter

Yes | No

BMW m3

Seems my 2005 m3 runs perfect but the mufflers stink like unburned gas.
    Not a cat problem. My car has full power. Smell like a muscle car of 1967.
    Has no modes and has 45000 miles.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.93.101.36

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information