+ Reply to Thread
    911finally

Yes | No

A race of two cars

I had just purchased a new porsche 911 Carerra. I was driving in upstate new york when i came to red light for maybe the twentieth time. Once again staring at waiting for it to turn green. When next to me i hear the gurgle of the BMW M-3's engine. He reved up and i noticed the little lumps sticking out of the steering wheel. So i knew it was SMG. Instead of using my tiptronic i changed to stick transmission. Finally the light turns green. BAMM. The BMW take off like a gun but im right behind him. Now luckely i bought the 01 carerra so its a little faster then the older ones. If not id be blown away by this beast. Going 70 i shift into 4th then i gun it. Hearing the roar of that 6 cylinder Vario Cam enginge. Catching up to the M-3 rather quickley. Finally pasing him i shift into 5th at 120 MPH. maybe a hundreth of a secound behing me is the BMW when we come to the next light. Shifting down and changing to tiptronic he rolls down his window. So i roll down mine (duh). With this retarted grin on his face he looks at my porshe. Then he looks more serious and in this low voice says...."nice race". Without an answer back he rolls down his window and turns around.

911finally

Yes | No

Re: A race of two cars

Just messin'

turbo44

Yes | No

If you got into 5th at 120, then you must be short shifting-----I do 120 in third.

SJD

Yes | No

Surprising

Surprised it beat the M3, especially with you short-shifting. Tiptronic takes a lot of acceleration out of the 911, and the M3 is no slouch. Haven't seen any performance figures for the SMG yet, but unlike tiptronic, it shouldn't be any slower than a stick shift, maybe even faster.

KLEEN KUT

Yes | No

what is SMG?

i should probably know this, but don't =)

SJD

Yes | No

Re: what is SMG?

According to the latest BMW magazine it stands for "Sequential Manual Gearbox" (although on the M3 board people argue with that and use the german version of it).

It's basically a six-speed transmission, that you can shift by using paddles attached to the steering wheel (it has something like 6 manual modes, and 6 auto modes). Whereas Tiptronic is basically an automatic transmission (i.e. there is drivetrain loss), SMG works using a real clutch, it's just that it's controlled electronically rather than via a pedal. BMW claims it can change gears in 8/100ths of a second (which is a lot faster than your typical driver). I guess it's similar to Ferrari's offering. BMW claim it's derived from F-1 technology. So it's basically a manual transmission with an electronic clutch, as opposed to a tradition fluid-filled auto transmission.

SMG should be as quick or quicker than the fastest 6-speed drivers, whereas tiptronic is going to be slower than a good driver in a six-speed.

911finally

Yes | No

Re: what is SMG?

SMG stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox developed by BMW and is presently offered in only their M3 model. This is not your ordinary manually controlled automatic....it is an actual manual transmission without a clutch. Unlike some other automated manuals, you control when to shift...even if you redline the car, the trannie will not shift. In fact, there is no torque converter at all. In addition, there is a fully automatic function where the computer shifts at various rpm points.

It's awesome!

911finally

Yes | No

Re: Ooops Sorry

Sorry about this story of a race between a 911 and the M3. It was created and posted by my 11 year old son who just absolutely loves the 911. I am expecting my BMW M3 in January and I guess he obviously would have preferred that I got the 911.

Merry X-Mas all!!

Butch

Yes | No

your boy has good taste and imagination! he will get his porsche when his turn comes up..i always loved porsche..bought my first 911 in 87, went 11 yrs and 110kmiles later. got my 01 turbo in may..what a dream!............butch

Karl Evans

Yes | No

SMG is [censored] for automatic

I don't want to sound like the guy who lamented the passing of non-synchro transmissions but the SMG is a pusssy alternative to manual transmissions, at least in America.

911finally

Yes | No

Thanks Butch....Yes he does have a good imagination. Congrats on the 2001 911 Turbo. That car is both mine and my son's favorite car in the world.

I'll have to settle with the M3 for now :)

Have a great holiday...
    Evan

KLEEN KUT

Yes | No

Re: SMG is [censored] for automatic

i would imagine it is quicker, but not NEARLY as sporty to drive then.. thanks for all the responses!=)
    Siy

Malcolm Smith

Yes | No

Re: SMG is [censored] for automatic

Maybe it is .. but it will certainly outperform TipTronic in both shift time and drivetrain loss. For me, it is the single most important technical reason why I am deferring a 996 purchase. If Porsche doesn't provide an SMG equivalent before the M3 gets a better power/weight ratio (i.e. V8 or CSL), I'll be jumping to the M-side!

Simply put, a marquee like Porsche can only justify it's premium pricing IF it shows market leadership .. which it realy hasn't done recently. If BMW chooses to invest in R&D (mostly D these days) and Porsche does not .. then it is clear to me which brand justifies premium pricing!

Like most on this board, I love Porsches and will be getting one someday when $$$ is no object .. but unlike many .. I want a race car in the interim (next year or so) and $/feature and $/Nurburgring are the prime motivators.

PP

Yes | No

Good post SJD...(more)

SMG actually shifts faster than Michael Schumacher with a manual. This is what all F1 cars are all using now.

Chris

Yes | No

tell your son...

not to shift out of third until he's over 100 next time!

:-)

wouba

Yes | No

Wrong! You Pri*k, I have the M3 smg and had lunch

the other day, guess what it was? 2001 911, Needed salt!

wouba

Yes | No

100 times better than Ferrari's!

Vr

Yes | No

i do 105 in fifth with a gti vr6, stock 3.3 gearing

Vr

Yes | No

uhh sorry i meant 3rd... not 5th in the vr

shift gears? - SJD